Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

Mines about the same given a slight margin of error since the muffler is in the way. 20.5" drivers 17.25" passenger.

Thanks. That helps a lot. Looking at it I felt like it was close but knowing what others have just helps. Once I get home I'll work on my rear crossmember.

Reactions: Alex01
I got the alignment done and took the jeep out for a quick 20 minute drive. I took it up to 85mph with zero vibrations. It may ride a hair better but it's not a night and day difference. (It could all just be in my head though) It definitely has more body roll but I also don't have a rear sway bar at the moment so I highly doubt thats because of the mid arm. @Daryl / @DrDmoney maybe this weekend you should give it a spin and see if you notice any improvement since you more or less are running the setup I moved from.

The exhaust is certainly louder but not loud enough to annoy me. I believe it is a "MagnaFlow 4" Round Center/Center Straight Through Performance Muffler" If I had to guess I'd say it added about 75hp.

I also flipped the MC vents like Blaine said he typically sees them and to change it up a bit I painted them body color.

20200713_221103.jpg

Last edited:
I got the alignment done and took the jeep out for a quick 20 minute drive. I took it up to 85mph with zero vibrations. It may ride a hair better but it's not a night and day difference. (It could all just be in my head though) It definitely has more body roll but I also don't have a rear sway bar at the moment so I highly doubt thats because of the mid arm. @Daryl maybe this weekend you should give it a spin and see if you notice any improvement since you more or less are running the setup I moved from.

The exhaust is certainly louder but not load enough to annoy me. I believe it is a "MagnaFlow 4" Round Center/Center Straight Through Performance Muffler" If I had to guess I'd say it added about 75hp.

I also flipped the MC vents like Blaine said he typically sees them and to change it up a bit I painted them body color.

View attachment 176777
Great news on the no vibes! 75hp, that’s funny shit right there. The side vents look better that way, good job!

I got the alignment done and took the jeep out for a quick 20 minute drive. I took it up to 85mph with zero vibrations. It may ride a hair better but it's not a night and day difference. (It could all just be in my head though) It definitely has more body roll but I also don't have a rear sway bar at the moment so I highly doubt thats because of the mid arm. @Daryl / @DrDmoney maybe this weekend you should give it a spin and see if you notice any improvement since you more or less are running the setup I moved from.

The exhaust is certainly louder but not load enough to annoy me. I believe it is a "MagnaFlow 4" Round Center/Center Straight Through Performance Muffler" If I had to guess I'd say it added about 75hp.

View attachment 176777
This will agree with Blaine’s statement that the mid arm rides no different from a short arm. You’ll get all the benefits of the mid arm off road.

My mid arm and out board were done weeks apart. I will attest that with a sway bar and Rancho shocks the body roll sucked. Was it manageable? Yeah. Once I outboarded the shocks, my god was it a difference! The Jeep has hardly any body roll. Most of that is set up in the tune of the shocks.

This is where my experience is going to be different from a lot of guys. Body roll aside, on the road, I cannot tell much that my shocks have been outboarded. It’s a slight improvement. Again this could be in the tune of the shocks. Offroad the rear soaks up a lot more than it previously did and is much more enjoyable.

So how did you like the new crawl ratio?
97:1 vs 56:1 is a major improvement in control and driveability on large obstacles. I find myself shifting between 3-5th on most sections but will bring it down to 1-2 on tougher obstacles. With all the changes lately it feels like I have a completely different jeep. Out of all the latest changes the two items that I stand out the most are the atlas and PSC steering. Before it was a struggle to turn the 35's in the rocks and now it doesn't feel any different whether I'm in a parking lot or a boulder field. I was worried that the PSC would make highway/around town driving worse but in reality it did the complete opposite.

I couldn't be happier with the direction of this build and am looking foward to all the future additions.

I spent about 3 hours in the garage today getting the rear antirock partially installed prior to outboarding. With the savvy gas tank tuck it was a super tight fit. A bit of material needed to come off the tub both where the bar goes across on the upper tub and where the arm swings in the rear. About halfway through I decided to stop making my life harder and pull the tank.

I still need to clearance the inner fenders, I'll likely wait to see if the angle changes to clear the shocks before cutting though, reinstall the tank, and install the remaining hardware.
20200725_003038.jpg

While under the jeep I also found a bit of body damage from slickrock. One of the cons of not running a full width bumper. It may be time for corner armor.
20200724_211532.jpg

I hope that non of this needs to be redone when you do the shocks.
I spoke with Blaine a few weeks ago and he said for a short wheelbase he would recommend the bolt on AR, behind the axle. He did mention the arms may/likely will need to be either bent or replaced with a different set to clear the shocks though. With my setup the AR will only fit in one spot so I'll tackle the arm issue when I get there.

Thank you for posting that. No joke I've been looking for weeks for a photo of an outboard with a rear antirock behind the axle. The AR doesn't look like it's been touched at all.

Is this your jeep or do you have a link to where you found it?
Nope. It’s one that was for sale recently that Blaine did the suspension on. I made the expensive mistake of using a universal antirock and bending my arms to fit to only discover I can’t clear the tire. I never spoke with Blaine prior to installing it and after installing it he helped me understand why it doesn’t work for a TJ.

Some day I’ll order the TJ arms and move it behind the axle. For now I’m just using the TJ sway bar. Thankfully after out boarding the rear I hardly have body roll. I’m doing the front shocks currently and look forward to seeing how it helps the overall performance and ride.

3BE34886-2904-4E4B-BED4-28D5DA069B52.jpeg

Nope. It’s one that was for sale recently that Blaine did the suspension on. I made the expensive mistake of using a universal antirock and bending my arms to fit to only discover I can’t clear the tire. I never spoke with Blaine prior to installing it and after installing it he helped me understand why it doesn’t work for a TJ.

Some day I’ll order the TJ arms and move it behind the axle. For now I’m just using the TJ sway bar. Thankfully after out boarding the rear I hardly have body roll. I’m doing the front shocks currently and look forward to seeing how it helps the overall performance and ride.

View attachment 179375

Your outboard looks great. I noticed a lot of extra stability with just the midarm, no swaybar, on the trail last weekend. On the road though a sway bar would be really nice.

Are you doing 11" fox's upfront?

Your outboard looks great. I noticed a lot of extra stability with just the midarm, no swaybar, on the trail last weekend. On the road though a sway bar would be really nice.

Are you doing 11" fox's upfront?
Thanks. My direction was a little out of order. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing things in the order I did.

I did the mid arm first and while doing that cut off my factory sway bar mounts (stupid choice). Once that was done I needed a sway bar, and bought the antirock universal kit. I made it work and compromised back spacing. On the road it drove okay but had quite a bit of body roll with the Rancho shocks.

After a week or so I tore it back apart and started the rear outboard. I quickly decided ditch the rear antirock to not compromise on back spacing. While doing the rear outboard I ordered Barnes Offroad axle side sway bar mounts and welded them on and had to also purchase longer sway bar links since I gave my extended links away not thinking I’d need them.

After wrapping up the out board and going to the factory sway bar, I was shocked how little of body roll there was. On winding roads you can drive the Jeep aggressively.

For the front I’m using 12s. I purchased all four shocks over a year ago before everyone was talking about 11s up front. Idk if they take a little more effort to fit than 11s. I haven’t had any issues so far with fitting them. I started on the drivers side, it is complete, just have to transfer my measurements to the passenger side now. 6.5” up, 5.5” down.

View attachment 179375

Do you happen to have a link to that for sale ad anywhere?