Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

I’ve done a few garage paint jobs before that have turned out great! I always wet the floor with water a bit before I start painting. Just a little tip I’ve learned. Seems to keep the dust down, and attracts some of the overspray.
Now I’m lucky enough to have a buddy who works at a shop with a booth...pretty spoiled with the ventilation system and the bake cycle. 😁
That's awesome, I need friends like that.

At this point, if I was to do the whole jeep I'd likely buy a Harbor freight portable garage to spray in. I'm looking forward to the hydraulic hose for the PSC steering arriving, hopefully, tomorrow. My jeep really needs to get out of the garage so I can give it a full cleaning/power washing. The dust from sanding the primer is everywhere and the leaf blower only does so much.

A good paint job is 90% prep, 5% talent, and 5% luck.
:ROFLMAO: This is very true. I think I started at 90-1-9 and now I'm closer to 90-3-7. By the end, I may be to the 90-5-5 mark but I'll likely put the gun away and have to start from scratch next time I need to use it.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun and Indy
Maybe I'll buy a gallon for the shelf :ROFLMAO:

My goal is to run Fordyce this summer, which should sufficiently break the paint in.
1614298746585.gif

:ROFLMAO: This is very true. I think I started at 90-1-9 and now I'm closer to 90-3-7. By the end, I may be to the 90-5-5 mark but I'll likely put the gun away and have to start from scratch next time I need to use it.
Do you have a link to the paint? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything relevant. My color is Bright Silver Metallic as well and I'm going to be painting armor.

Do you have a link to the paint? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything relevant. My color is Bright Silver Metallic as well and I'm going to be painting armor.
I got my paint from a brick and mortar sherwin Williams automotive finishing location. All I had to do was give them the paint code and picked it up a few days later. 1qt would be plenty for the corners. Mine was just under $100 a quart plus $100 for a gallon of clear and a gallon of reducer. The paint I'm using is reduced at 1:1.
https://industrial.sherwin-williams.com/automotive

Last edited:
You could also talk to your local body shop and ask if where they order paint from or if they are really nice they may be able to put an order in for you.

Reactions: Irun
You could also talk to your local body shop and ask if where they order paint from or if they are really nice they may be able to put an order in for you.
The place I used to deal with went out of business, so I'm looking for an alternative!

• Sad
Reactions: Alex01
It's just the lighting. They look just as covered in that section as the rest.

Other than the constant stress of thinking stuff will fall or fly into the paint it's pretty fun. I wouldn't say it's easy but I'll say it isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. (hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself and the paint doesn't fall off in a few months).
If you do a large project like this again it pays dividends to build a booth in your garage. You can even incorporate a box fan that’s taped to the plastic and partially open your garage door. Clothes pins can keep it all sealed pretty well and fly strips keep the bugs off. And tack cloth is your friend.

If you do a large project like this again it pays dividends to build a booth in your garage. You can even incorporate a box fan that’s taped to the plastic and partially open your garage door. Clothes pins can keep it all sealed pretty well and fly strips keep the bugs off. And tack cloth is your friend.
Would you use something other than the plastic painting tarps?

After 1 or two painting sessions the paint, mainly base, start shedding off the plastic and causing issues. It would have been nice if I got one of the mobile car ports from HF but it's around 50 at night so I would have been fighting cold weather.

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues

After 1 or two painting sessions the paint, mainly base, start shedding off the plastic and causing issues. It would have been nice if I got one of the mobile car ports from HF but it's around 50 at night so I would have been fighting cold weather.
Cold weather compounds the issues but you should be able to use the plastic still. I’d get a 2-3 gallon bug sprayer and wet the walls and floor prior to painting. The paint will stick to the water and run down instead of drying and flaking. The vent fan will also help. I’d use a heavier plastic if you plan to reuse it. I used to have curtain rods with the pear shaped cheapo shower rod hangers and would hang plastic drop cloths from them. After painting was complete I’d toss the drop cloths and always start with fresh ones. They are cheap and not worth trying to keep clean.

Also the bigger the booth the better because you won’t get as much overspray on the walls. Just google makeshift garage paint booth and you’ll get some ideas. My buddy had heavy plastic and 2X4s screwed to the ceiling and he would just drop the plastic when he painted. Worked pretty well too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Alex01