All AMC picture of the year

They turned out looking incredible, my friend. Love 'em! I'd say it was money well spent, especially considering what they were going on. (y)

Re the refinishing $$$, it's kind of minor when you think about it. I don't think you can buy a set of aluminum wheels for a new car for that amount. And you certainly can't buy a lot of the Jeep wheels that are now long gone. I know MOAB wheels are available, and they're good, and I think Ravines are but they cost more than having old ones refinished. If you have wheels that are undamaged other than scratches, pitting, etc. I think powder coating or the route I took for these is they way to go.

Re the refinishing $$$, it's kind of minor when you think about it. I don't think you can buy a set of aluminum wheels for a new car for that amount. And you certainly can't buy a lot of the Jeep wheels that are now long gone. I know MOAB wheels are available, and they're good, and I think Ravines are but they cost more than having old ones refinished. If you have wheels that are undamaged other than scratches, pitting, etc. I think powder coating or the route I took for these is they way to go.

My Ravines are starting to bubble around the center caps... about time to have them stripped and powdered...

My Ravines are starting to bubble around the center caps... about time to have them stripped and powdered...

I had 5 MOAB wheels powdered coated last year. I had several to chose from and the shop I went to told me to bring in the worst ones I had (short of being damaged) because they could refinish them no matter what. He was right, they turned out perfect. The cost was $100 CDN ea. (about $75 US).

Reactions: Squatch

Seeing this old thread. Do you know the tire size limitations on the stock turbines? Been thinking about a set for my LJ as something different…

Seeing this old thread. Do you know the tire size limitations on the stock turbines? Been thinking about a set for my LJ as something different…

The wheels are 15" x 7". I have 31" x 10.5" Goodyear Duratracs on Turbines on both my 88 Comanche and 89 Cherokee. I've seen 33"s on them and I imagine you could go higher provided the tire width isn't too much. They're getting hard to find as they were only available from about 1986 to 1992 (I could be off a bit). If you're looking for the caps they're probably a bit harder to find. Like with any wheel, if you plan to have them refinished I'd look for ones that are in rough shape vs. paying top dollar for ones that look "OK".

Reactions: Mfpaul73
The wheels are 15" x 7". I have 31" x 10.5" Goodyear Duratracs on Turbines on both my 88 Comanche and 89 Cherokee. I've seen 33"s on them and I imagine you could go higher provided the tire width isn't too much. They're getting hard to find as they were only available from about 1986 to 1992 (I could be off a bit). If you're looking for the caps they're probably a bit harder to find. Like with any wheel, if you plan to have them refinished I'd look for ones that are in rough shape vs. paying top dollar for ones that look "OK".

A set of turbines with some 35 x 10.5 tires would work out pretty well, though I think driving dynamics would suffer…that’s a lot of sidewall

Reactions: PCO6

Thank you. That’s helpful info. Now that I have been looking, I am seeing remanufactured OEM available on eBay. Claim lifetime warranty. $150-200 a rim, but they appear fully restored. I would just need to hunt center caps. 10.5 is wide enough for me, as long as I could go 33s that plenty as well. I was looking at some new Vision turbines but I like the idea of adding a bit of OEM retro.

Are there center cap options or just one OEM style that fits?

Saw this at a Benefit cruise in yesterday!!! Older restoration but still very rare to see a Jeepster commando anymore.

20240504_164203.jpg

Are there center cap options or just one OEM style that fits?

Sorry ... I'm away camping and just saw this. As far as I know only the original Turbine caps fit. People are always hunting for them and if there is an alternative my guess is that it would be posted on the XJ forums or FB groups. I have never seen anything.

Reactions: Mfpaul73
Saw this at a Benefit cruise in yesterday!!! Older restoration but still very rare to see a Jeepster commando anymore.

View attachment 524336

I spotted one in a farmer's field while I was on my way to camping this past week. It was the later 1972-73 model with the wider grille (I prefer the blue one above) and it looked to be complete. I made a note of where it was and might tell my wife that I'm "going out for a drive" one day. It would be one of those better to ask for forgiveness and say that I got it for a dime trips. :rolleyes: