All in the name of science

Based on the shock choices for the average man, perhaps. I need to start a thread on this. How many folks have you heard complain about a stock TJ suspension with stockish shocks and poor ride quality, provided the shocks were in good working order?
I have no clue here, so I’m not being sarcastic. What were the OEM shocks and are they still available? I only drove old worn out ones which were replaced with new awful ones (procomps) when mine was factory still - so I don’t really know what that felt like.

I have no clue here, so I’m not being sarcastic. What were the OEM shocks and are they still available? I only drove old worn out ones which were replaced with new awful ones (procomps) when mine was factory still - so I don’t really know what that felt like.
I bought my 2003 TJ in 05. It was was bone stock with 39k on the clock and cheap, no name all terrains in the sport's 30x950x15 flavor. I wish I could remember how it handled back then, but I can't remember a time that I wished it handled better than it did, for what it was.

Based on the shock choices for the average man, perhaps. I need to start a thread on this. How many folks have you heard complain about a stock TJ suspension with stockish shocks and poor ride quality, provided the shocks were in good working order?
I have two virtually stock rigs. One has stock shocks and 164,000mi on the clock. The other has some KYB shock. No idea how many miles are on those shocks, but both are more harsh than my Rancho 55239/41 combo on 3.5/3” SL. My boys keep saying, we can’t wait to get the Rancho’s. They’ll only be at 2.5-3”, so it will be different, and I want to report on that too, all in the name of science 🧬! 😂

I have two virtually stock rigs. One has stock shocks and 164,000mi on the clock. The other has some KYB shock. No idea how many miles are on those shocks, but both are more harsh than my Rancho 55239/41 combo on 3.5/3” SL. My boys keep saying, we can’t wait to get the Rancho’s. They’ll only be at 2.5-3”, so it will be different, and I want to report on that too, all in the name of science 🧬! 😂
You are in a good spot with your fleet of TJ's to give us some good Intel. I still think I should send you the JSPEC shocks so you have them in your quiver.

You are in a good spot with your fleet of TJ's to give us some good Intel. I still think I should send you the JSPEC shocks so you have them in your quiver.
We’re going to run the Rancho’s 55239/41 on the 2.5-3” and see. I could switch them out for the JSpec’s and see. I could report back with the specs on extended length, compressed, up/down at that height, and ride quality on and off-road. Boys and girls and wife might not appreciate all the work and nuances, but this would be for science, right?!. 😂

I wish more people will try those shocks. @Farmergreg seems to enjoy his IIRC.

One thing I know about the origins of the Nth stuff along with it's relatively recent revival is that the proponents of both, both then and now, don't place enough emphasis on the power and significance of shocks. Therefore, there is a disproportionate focus on making the suspension do things at the expense of the total balanced system.
Interesting.

We’re going to run the Rancho’s 55239/41 on the 2.5-3” and see. I could switch them out for the JSpec’s and see. I could report back with the specs on extended length, compressed, up/down at that height, and ride quality on and off-road. Boys and girls and wife might not appreciate all the work and nuances, but this would be for science, right?!. 😂

I wish more people will try those shocks. @Farmergreg seems to enjoy his IIRC.
Remember, I don't belong in this thread...I'm just a "web wheeler" :ROFLMAO:

But as we've already talked about, the butt dyno only tells us what we like to feel, not what will make your rig more capable (example used was antirock with more sway but better offroad). Ultra 4 drivers wear helmets and all the other safety equipment because they don't build their rigs to be plush, soft, quiet rigs, they build rigs that are best able to handle the terrain and win races.

But as we've already talked about, the butt dyno only tells us what we like to feel, not what will make your rig more capable (example used was antirock with more sway but better offroad). Ultra 4 drivers wear helmets and all the other safety equipment because they don't build their rigs to be plush, soft, quiet rigs, they build rigs that are best able to handle the terrain and win races.
Hey look, this is science man! 😉

I'm fully on board.

If someone sends me some shocks on THEIR dime, I'm going to run them and give my unbiased scientific absolute decision. Then I'm going to send them back on MY dime and leave everyone else to the interpretation.

There will be videos. 😉

I bought my 2003 TJ in 05. It was was bone stock with 39k on the clock and cheap, no name all terrains in the sport's 30x950x15 flavor. I wish I could remember how it handled back then, but I can't remember a time that I wished it handled better than it did, for what it was.
I kick myself in the ass for not holding on to the take-offs when we moved here 10 years ago. I lifted my TJ a week after it was delivered so shocks, springs, control arms, sway bar links, and rear driveshaft were all brand new still.

Reactions: Wildman and JMT
I'm paying these forward to you. You can put them to good use, "in the name of science". PM me your address.
Shoot, I forgot that I saw those posted for sale. I was going to contact you about them before I ordered shocks since I have the JSpec springs. I have new Bilsteins on order now. So I won't need them other than for comparison purposes. Which would be interesting to send the same pair of shocks around just to hear how people compare and contrast differences. It took me a long time, but I have finally come to realize that people have very diiferent opinons on how shocks should feel. One guy just wants a soft cushy ride , the next guy might be more concerned about control and less concerned about the ride. Or maybe the next guy wants it all and is willing to pay for custom valved shocks. Lots of reasons why one guy loves his Ranchos/Bilsteing/Fox/OME/etc and the next guy hates them.

Please post back somewhere with your opinion on them. Also, read some of the technical documents over at https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/. They have a really good document describing the differences between digressive, linear, and progressive dampening. It really describes well why I hated my Ranchos but loved my Bilstiens. It was largeley the difference between a progressive shock and a digressive shock. For me specifically it came down to G-outs and handling.

I'm the one driving the white jeep in the video. Yeah, the one that slid back when I lifted off the gas...:(. I was the only one that day with a 231 transfer case as well as the only one with an automatic. I have had the pleasure of wheeling with these guys for many years now and can definitely tell you the biggest difference among those rigs is the driver. Josh or Hosejockey could make driving my rig look a lot better than I simply because they have more experience. If I were to sit left seat in their Jeep, I doubt it would walk up as smooth as when they drive it. A good portion of this comes down to experience and confidence.

I have the least experience on the big trails of this group but feel my jeep is built every bit as capable as theirs. I know my jeep far exceeds my capabilities. I have been spotted over some obstacles that I did not think I could make but the jeep just walks up when on the right line. I do not know as much about the geometry as these guys. Nor do I care as much. As long as my Jeep continues to outperform the clown in the drivers seat, I will continue to not care.

That is all...