All things welding

What do you guys like for weld-through primer? I’m seeing stuff from ~$12/can on up to $40/can for the 3M stuff. I’ll pay for the good stuff if it’s worth it but I have no idea. I appreciate all your advice.

What do you guys like for weld-through primer? I’m seeing stuff from ~$12/can on up to $40/can for the 3M stuff. I’ll pay for the good stuff if it’s worth it but I have no idea. I appreciate all your advice.

Steel-It

Edit: Wear a mask when you weld over this stuff or any other brand

Reactions: Granite
I use 3M weld through primer which is 05917 or the LIK90 which is LIK10011 I havent used steel-it yet which I want to try

Reactions: Granite
Steel-It

Edit: Wear a mask when you weld over this stuff or any other brand

Do you recommend welding directly over the weld through primer, or clean it off? I've done it both ways, and always have trouble getting a good arc unless I grind it off at the point of the weld.

I typically only use weld through primer on areas that wont be accessible after welding like the back side of a plate or the inside of a tube. I always prefer clean metal.

If I end up welding through the primer I will establish a good puddle before I start to move (which you should be doing anyway). Usually this allows the leading edge of the puddle to burn away some of the primer. So yes I try to get clean metal to weld it.

That's with MIG, with TIG I never use primer

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Something that I'd like to discuss is weld quality. I've seen a lot of welds on various structures that seriously make me question it's integrity. Some of those welds are on build threads in this forum. I'm not saying that every one is a bad welder, but part of learning is recognizing your mistakes.

I weld quite often, probably every weekend & even I sometimes put down a shitty weld. Instead of just looking at it and saying I'll do better next time, I grab a grinder, remove the weld & try again. Especially if it is something my kids safety depends on. I find that this is good practice because you can try to make corrections with nearly identical variables. Also learning to repair welds is an important part of fabricating. Inspecting welds takes time to learn also, but an easy trick you can do is spray some flat primer over your welds & trust me those defects will jump right out at you. You can also use a flashlight pointing at the weld from different directions & look for shadows.

This is mostly Stainless & different welding processes but these defects translate to most welding.

Cluster Porosity 2.jpg

Cluster Porosity.jpg

Crack 2.jpg

Crack.jpg

Crater Crack.jpg

Defect Removal.jpg

Excessive Reinforcement.jpg

Incomplete Penetration 2.jpg

Incomplete Penetration.png

Lack of Fusion.jpg

Laser Crack.png

LoF & Melt Through.jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (7).png

Overlap & Crater Crack.jpg

Porosity 2.jpg

Stress Crack.jpg

Toe Crack.png

X-Ray Porosity.png

Reactions: ColoJeep
Good news / bad news. I got 2 cans of steel-it from Amazon today and they came like this with the nozzles out, caps off and one cap broken.
The good news is Amazon let me keep the cans and refunded me the $70.

Do you think I’ll be able to insert these nozzles without wasting all the steel-it and still be able to use these? I’d hate to waste them.

IMG_1365.jpeg

Good news / bad news. I got 2 cans of steel-it from Amazon today and they came like this with the nozzles out, caps off and one cap broken.
The good news is Amazon let me keep the cans and refunded me the $70.

Do you think I’ll be able to insert these nozzles without wasting all the steel-it and still be able to use these? I’d hate to waste them.

View attachment 520314

Nozzles on spray cans are easily removed and replaced. In fact, I routinely remove a nozzle after spraying, soak it in acetone, and then spray it clear with a compressed air blow nozzle so that it's good-to-go next time I spray. I wouldn't have bothered going for a refund for those cans.

Reactions: Apparition
well dang - I’ve had nozzles come out and never successfully gotten them back in before without spraying all over. So I didn’t know this was common.
I’ll see if I can get these working. Might have just got myself 2 free cans of steel it with just a broken cap! If so I’ll feel a little guilty … might have to call Amazon back and pay again.

well dang - I’ve had nozzles come out and never successfully gotten them back in before without spraying all over.

I’ve had them break off with the stem flush with the can before, and it’s not a simple “put it back on” situation. Maybe that’s what you’ve experienced?

What notcher did you get?

I bought a Harbor Freight one in the late 90s. Gave it away after one project.

The JMR I bought right after was almost a weeks pay back then 😃 . And I still have it. JMR is all I have ever used in my shop or anyone elses.

I do a lot of parts where there are lefts and rights, and two different angles on one notch. I love it because its extremely rigid, and angles and setups are very easily repeatable.

20150614_102432_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150628_124943_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160428_112138_Richtone(HDR).jpg

What notcher did you get?

I bought a Harbor Freight one in the late 90s. Gave it away after one project.

The JMR I bought right after was almost a weeks pay back then 😃 . And I still have it. JMR is all I have ever used in my shop or anyone elses.

I do a lot of parts where there are lefts and rights, and two different angles on one notch. I love it because its extremely rigid, and angles and setups are very easily repeatable.

View attachment 521377

View attachment 521378

View attachment 521379

I bought the HF one because I've never used one before. It seems to get the job done for simple joints.

Reactions: CMBD