Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop already. We get it, you're pissy. Do not expect that GR bumper to take the abuse a Savvy will because it won't. I explained that to the owner of this one. It lasted exactly one trip to JV. He was up on a line trying to find some traction, slipped off, fell about a foot, bumper hit a rock sticking up, completely trashed it. It is not 6061T6 and will not stand up to any abuse in the rocks. View attachment 229598
Blaine, honest question here. Why does something like the safety thimble fairlead exist when the JK/JL bumpers with the tucked winches have the fairlead and thimble sticking right out the front in harm's way? Not trying to crap on the design, just curious!

savvyjk.jpg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
None of the Savvy details matter if the bumper isn't going to get used for it's purpose.
And it’s purpose is to what? Carry a winch and act as a bumper? Although not everyone is using their bumper as a ramp it doesn’t mean it isn’t being used for its intended purpose.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Stop already. We get it, you're pissy. Do not expect that GR bumper to take the abuse a Savvy will because it won't. I explained that to the owner of this one. It lasted exactly one trip to JV. He was up on a line trying to find some traction, slipped off, fell about a foot, bumper hit a rock sticking up, completely trashed it. It is not 6061T6 and will not stand up to any abuse in the rocks. View attachment 229598
6061 aint too easy to weld. Gotta know your chit. I would have loved an aluminum, Price was my prob. Id highly recommend aluminum if the pocket can hang.

I’m not pissy but it definitely seems some of you are on the Savvy band wagon and as you designed it you have the right to be. However are you telling me that that same situation that happened to the GR bumper would not have damaged or destroyed the Savvy?

And it’s purpose is to what? Carry a winch and act as a bumper? Although not everyone is using their bumper as a ramp it doesn’t mean it isn’t being used for its intended purpose.
You are answering your own question as to why any bumper will work for your purposes.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and Vasq
Oh, well if we're talking about making our own bumpers here, then yes, steel would be much easier to make yourself.

How much heavier is the GenRight compared to the Savvy? Have you weighed them both?

I'd pick the Savvy because I know who designed it and I've heard what he's had to say in regards to comparing the Savvy to the GenRight front bumper (aside from weight).
According to Savvy’s claimed weight from Gerald himself the GR is 3 pounds lighter. And because you spoke to Blaine about his design and he justified it does that mean you also spoke with the GR engineer to hear what his claimed benefits were for his design? I get it, you support those who support you and Blaine is on here helping, designing and developing great products. Hell I’ve bought some. It when it comes down to Savvy dragging a customer along for over six weeks and keep adding more and more time to the ETA...that’s shitty customer service and GR treated me well and delivered when they said they would.

Reactions: Jamesval035
You are answering your own question as to why any bumper will work for your purposes.
Exactly and for my purposes the GR works perfectly. So what was the point of your statement if everyone has a different purpose for what they may be using the product for?

According to Savvy’s claimed weight fro Gerald himself the GR is 3 pounds lighter. And because you spoke to Blaine about his design and he justified it does that mean you also spoke with the GR engineer to hear what his claimed benefits were for his design? I get it, you support those who support you and Blaine is on here helping, designing and developing great products. Hell I’ve bought some. It when it comes down to Savvy dragging a customer along for over six weeks and keep adding more and more time to the ETA...that’s shitty customer service and GR treated me well and delivered when they said they would.
Two different bumpers. Quit pretending they aren't.

Exactly and for my purposes the GR works perfectly. So what was the point of your statement if everyone has a different purpose for what they may be using the product for?

I've lost track of what you're going on about.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun and Chris
According to Savvy’s claimed weight from Gerald himself the GR is 3 pounds lighter. And because you spoke to Blaine about his design and he justified it does that mean you also spoke with the GR engineer to hear what his claimed benefits were for his design? I get it, you support those who support you and Blaine is on here helping, designing and developing great products. Hell I’ve bought some. It when it comes down to Savvy dragging a customer along for over six weeks and keep adding more and more time to the ETA...that’s shitty customer service and GR treated me well and delivered when they said they would.

Have you ever called up GenRight and tried to speak to a "engineer"? The only people I've ever been able to speak to there are sales people, one of whom very adamantly tried to sell me a coilover package and then insisted they would work with my factory Dana 44 axles. While he's not 100% wrong, getting those coilovers to work successfully with my factory axles and 35s would be very, very tedious and cumbersome from everything I've read.

My point being that GenRight is very heavily marketing oriented. While there is nothing wrong with that, I will say that I trust Blaine more because he's a no-bullshit kind of guy. If something sucks, he'll tell you why. He won't try to sell you anything you don't need, and he doesn't even try to push his own products.

While it may sound like I'm kissing his ass, I'm just trying to say that I like transparency.

On that note, I will also say that I run several GenRight products including their front fenders. I have no issue with GenRight whatsoever, and I believe that they do build some very good stuff. Their insanely quick to ship and have exceptional customer service, something that Savvy doesn't have.

However, if you knew the story of Savvy and all the details, I don't think you'd be singing the same tune that you are.

If the GenRight bumper works for you, that's good and you should stick with it.

I still believe that as far as aluminum bumpers go Savvy is sort of the gold standard. However, like @jjvw pointed out, if you aren't going to use it the way it was intended to be used, it's probably a moot point.

Sometimes I say things that come across wrong and it is not my intention, it's probably just the way it sounds via the internet.

Reactions: Tob
I've lost track of what you're going on about.
My response to this post was that aluminum is lighter that steel, agreeing with most who have responded and I explained my benefits. My benefits didn’t need a bunch of responses as to why my purchase of GR was inferior to the Savvy.

Have you ever called up GenRight and tried to speak to a "engineer"? The only people I've ever been able to speak to there are sales people, one of whom very adamantly tried to sell me a coilover package and then insisted they would work with my factory Dana 44 axles. While he's not 100% wrong, getting those coilovers to work successfully with my factory axles and 35s would be very, very tedious and cumbersome from everything I've read.

My point being that GenRight is very heavily marketing oriented. While there is nothing wrong with that, I will say that I trust Blaine more because he's a no-bullshit kind of guy. If something sucks, he'll tell you why. He won't try to sell you anything you don't need, and he doesn't even try to push his own products.

While it may sound like I'm kissing his ass, I'm just trying to say that I like transparency.

On that note, I will also say that I run several GenRight products including their front fenders. I have no issue with GenRight whatsoever, and I believe that they do build some very good stuff. Their insanely quick to ship and have exceptional customer service, something that Savvy doesn't have.

However, if you knew the story of Savvy and all the details, I don't think you'd be singing the same tune that you are.

If the GenRight bumper works for you, that's good and you should stick with it.

I still believe that as far as aluminum bumpers go Savvy is sort of the gold standard. However, like @jjvw pointed out, if you aren't going to use it the way it was intended to be used, it's probably a moot point.

Sometimes I say things that come across wrong and it is not my intention, it's probably just the way it sounds via the internet.
In case you missed it I had the Savvy bumper in order for six weeks, then they said it would be another two and I’d had enough waiting. Customer service has value and if Savvy was smart they would get in the gas and hire more production guys and be realistic with their ETAs. Customer service is the sole reason I went with GR...although I TRIED to buy the Savvy first.

My response to this post was that aluminum is lighter that steel, agreeing with most who have responded and I explained my benefits. My benefits didn’t need a bunch of responses as to why my purchase of GR was inferior to the Savvy.
Not every answer was centered around you. Not every aluminum bumper is the same and the differences have been described. That is what this thread is about. The differences between bumpers.

Reactions: D M
In case you missed it I had the Savvy bumper in order for six weeks, then they said it would be another two and I’d had enough waiting. Customer service has value and if Savvy was smart they would get in the gas and hire more production guys and be realistic with their ETAs. Customer service is the sole reason I went with GR...although I TRIED to buy the Savvy first.

I share your frustration with Savvy in terms of the way they run their business. However, from what I gather, they are taking X amount of orders, then once they receive X amount of orders they send them all off to the machine shop for the order to be fulfilled. By doing this I think it allows them to purchase X amount of bumpers at once and not have to sit on a large amount of inventory (thus not having cash tied up in anything).

I've just come to terms with the fact that Savvy always will deliver, it just might take up to 8 weeks for that to happen. At this point I don't mind waiting if I have to, but yes, it is still somewhat frustrating.

At the same time, I'm just happy they are still around and still supporting TJs.

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues and Tob
And you'll be perfectly happy with Genright. ;)

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
Not every answer was centered around you. Not every aluminum bumper is the same and the differences have been described. That is what this thread is about. The differences between bumpers.
Nor was it centered around yours yet you gave your opinion and nobody criticized it. I gave my feedback and because it wasn’t Savvy it was criticized.

Status
Not open for further replies.