Am I getting Rubi-conned?

I called him… Brian I think. He told me he would look for the normal suspects and if he couldn’t find it he would put on a double shock stabilizer and I would never see the problem again. Its really hard for me to argue with a man whose job is to fix cars and trucks for a living as I work in software, but it sounded like exactly what everyone else said not to do. I will maybe go get a second opinion from them next week.

Would you suggest I give him the list from the other guy, or let him come up with his own?

Either way. There might be some kind of code of ethics to honor the opinion of another brother. I don't know. I am a software guy too

I called him… Brian I think. He told me he would look for the normal suspects and if he couldn’t find it he would put on a double shock stabilizer and I would never see the problem again. Its really hard for me to argue with a man whose job is to fix cars and trucks for a living as I work in software, but it sounded like exactly what everyone else said not to do. I will maybe go get a second opinion from them next week.

Would you suggest I give him the list from the other guy, or let him come up with his own?

Second thought. Give Henn your own list, prioritize based on what these guys here on WTJ say. Eat the elephant one bite at a time.

I just went thru this recently myself. My guy is an artiste'

Reactions: TitanFlyer
So I finally got some new wheels and tires from a guy that took them off his 2019 Rubicon. Its been raining or cold and raining for over a week so just got a chance today to throw them on. Man, either tires and wheels got REALLY heavy since I last did this, or I got a lot older and broken.

So, as predicted by many, it fixed almost all of the driving problems I was having. I took it for a drive on bumpy roads up to about 60 and got some jeep type handling which I expected, but very very little sway or wobble at all. I think it will need a few of the parts they said it needs, but not RIGHT now.

Also, quick question. The PO had 2 inch spacers on the front wheels only. I have never seen that so not sure if it could have caused the awful drive on that jeep, but seems like having the front 4 inches wider than the rear would cause some problems.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I bought the wheels for a great price and my neighbor wants the wheels I had on it for his 1999 Sahara. So in all it cost me what 2 new tires would have cost.

7D8EA885-1441-43D1-AD5D-9E2B830B75E7.jpeg

4B30A8A4-A202-4B35-8366-5A9F2BC58F5D.jpeg

30595B3F-A044-4E3A-888D-C5FCBBF98DA1.jpeg

F5DC33AA-52C1-47E6-B6B2-57D9496A9C53.jpeg

So I finally got some new wheels and tires from a guy that took them off his 2019 Rubicon. Its been raining or cold and raining for over a week so just got a chance today to throw them on. Man, either tires and wheels got REALLY heavy since I last did this, or I got a lot older and broken.

So, as predicted by many, it fixed almost all of the driving problems I was having. I took it for a drive on bumpy roads up to about 60 and got some jeep type handling which I expected, but very very little sway or wobble at all. I think it will need a few of the parts they said it needs, but not RIGHT now.

Also, quick question. The PO had 2 inch spacers on the front wheels only. I have never seen that so not sure if it could have caused the awful drive on that jeep, but seems like having the front 4 inches wider than the rear would cause some problems.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I bought the wheels for a great price and my neighbor wants the wheels I had on it for his 1999 Sahara. So in all it cost me what 2 new tires would have cost.

View attachment 383520

View attachment 383521

View attachment 383522

View attachment 383523

Wheels look great!

View attachment 383520

View attachment 383521

View attachment 383522

View attachment 383523

Wheels look good. FWIW, the wider front axle width would not affect how it drove, although that much difference might not be aesthetically pleasing.

x99 to the recommendation against a dual steering damper. Technically, if everything else is set up right, you should be able to remove it entirely and it drive right.

Wheels look good. FWIW, the wider front axle width would not affect how it drove, although that much difference might not be aesthetically pleasing.
I dunno...with that much backspacing, his scrub radius was a mile off. It may have made things feel weird in the steering wheel. I don't remember what the initial concern was, but too much scrub radius is never a good thing.

I don’t know what it did, but something about the tires that were on it, be that balance or wear or alignment or spacing, was definitely causing some horrible ride quality. It was all over the road and honestly felt very unstable and unsafe. The difference is night and day with these new wheels, so not going to spend any more cycles worrying about what it was. I need to finish removing the vinyl wrap and then it goes to my buddy for a full paint correction and ceramic coating of the top, paint, glass, and wheels. Not needed, but I do it to all my cars and my buddy does it for a GREAT price, so why not.

As for the parts that were listed by the shop that needed replacing, I think all of those things likely will need to be done too, but just not all at once and not immediately.