Another TJ on 37s thread

@custommuffler what transmission do you have? If you have the 3 speed auto you wont need as much gearing.

Are you planning on carrying a 37" spare around or just go with no spare?
No spare. Ax-15 I had built oh in like 2000. Use to run a Dana 35 outback with a ratchet center. Grenaded and broke axles too many times. The last one was an off the line pull against a honda. Once I hit second the left rear tire and axle passed my by while i was spinning almost rolling.

That might be a bit wide for the stance. You certainly wouldn’t want wheel spacers with those wheels.

That translates to 4.25” backspacing, which for a 20x12 will put the tire centerline roughly 1.75” outboard of the WMS. Most TJ owners stick to wheels that put the tire centerline within 0.5” of the WMS.

It might work, but it could stress your ball joints and bearings. It may also play havoc with the steering due to the scrub radius.

Personally, I would look for something with offset between -7mm and -22mm to reduce wear on the ball joints and bearings, but ultimately it may be a matter of personal preference. Higher negative offset numbers will reduce the odds of running at the cost of wear and tear.

It will also depend on the width of tire you end up running.
This is all for street looks. One reason I like the metalcloak is to see the arms. Its all for street cred. My son is in high school. I own a shop. One thing more important to remember is how I make money. Here is the SINGLE most important rule in owning an automotive business like mine: YOUNG DUDES SPEND MONEY ON CARS. That is first and foremost.

• Haha
Reactions: EzPeezy
I have the Currie lift and trac bars front/rear so plenty of JJ under my jeep. I could not be happier with the ride.

As you are committed to the wheel/tire choice and axles, I would focus next on making it as safe as possible. Currie currectlync steering and big brake kit for the front minimum.

You can get 5.13 for the Dana 30/44 combo https://liftkits4less.com/revolution-gear-and-axle-rev-tj-Dana 44-513-jeep-gear-sets

Just to make sure you’re stopping safely with those 37s, I would want to get big brake conversion kit from @mrblaine. If you care about safety that is 👍

One thing to keep in mind is that the lift kit you buy has little to do with ride quality. A Currie kit can ride much much worse than a rubicon express or rough country lift depending on how it is setup.

This Jeep could be fine as a show piece to park outside your shop and take to car shows. You will get plenty of uneducated Jeep owners to come to your shop with it (good business, not a bad thing). But daily driving this Jeep is just foolish.

This is all for street looks. One reason I like the metalcloak is to see the arms. Its all for street cred. My son is in high school. I own a shop. One thing more important to remember is how I make money. Here is the SINGLE most important rule in owning an automotive business like mine: YOUNG DUDES SPEND MONEY ON CARS. That is first and foremost.

High school kid, Jeep on 37” rubber, ALL street driven vehicle. I truly wish you luck with that, that’s a lot of temptation for a kid to handle. 🙂

Reactions: Noreaster1967
Like others have said...you really should look into brakes, at the very least. I'm not going to tell you to not run 37's. I say go for it! Its your jeep, who the hell cares what I, or others think. BUT, you should be able to stop those things in an emergency. I'd be SUPER pissed if a guy rearended me with giant tires and little tiny brakes.

Since your using it as a marketing rig too (and I assume taking the tax writeoff) I'd go metalcloak long arm. Not because the ride is any better, but because they are shiny gold in color. You want attention, and Metalcloak knows how to get it.

Personally, I run Currie arms and I actually noticed an increase in ride quality when I replaced my worn out stock arms for Johnny joints. Having never run the metalcloak's I can't say they won't be better...but, I do know that shocks play a MUCH bigger role in perceived ride quality than suspension joints do. My educated guess is that your ride quality will be shitty no matter what due to the 20's and 37" tires tho.

Good Luck!

I have the Currie lift and trac bars front/rear so plenty of JJ under my jeep. I could not be happier with the ride.

As you are committed to the wheel/tire choice and axles, I would focus next on making it as safe as possible. Currie currectlync steering and big brake kit for the front minimum.

You can get 5.13 for the Dana 30/44 combo https://liftkits4less.com/revolution-gear-and-axle-rev-tj-Dana 44-513-jeep-gear-sets
Thank you.

Like others have said...you really should look into brakes, at the very least. I'm not going to tell you to not run 37's. I say go for it! Its your jeep, who the hell cares what I, or others think. BUT, you should be able to stop those things in an emergency. I'd be SUPER pissed if a guy rearended me with giant tires and little tiny brakes.

Since your using it as a marketing rig too (and I assume taking the tax writeoff) I'd go metalcloak long arm. Not because the ride is any better, but because they are shiny gold in color. You want attention, and Metalcloak knows how to get it.

Personally, I run Currie arms and I actually noticed an increase in ride quality when I replaced my worn out stock arms for Johnny joints. Having never run the metalcloak's I can't say they won't be better...but, I do know that shocks play a MUCH bigger role in perceived ride quality than suspension joints do. My educated guess is that your ride quality will be shitty no matter what due to the 20's and 37" tires tho.

Good Luck!
Im looking at Fox or Metalcloaks dual piston shock. There are no rocks for hundreds of miles from New Orleans. I live in a swamp. Only thing you build for swamp is cheap, cause mud is gonna break it. Still up in the air about the lift kit. Monday/Tuesday Ill know more after talking with both manufacturers. I could care less about serious articulation. Ride quality and low to NO maintenance is my bag.

Just to make sure you’re stopping safely with those 37s, I would want to get big brake conversion kit from @mrblaine. If you care about safety that is 👍
Never crossed my mind. Both chutes are still packed. Retired for life. We often talk about a street deal with a twin turbo LS but now it doesn't cost me money anymore.

old rail car.JPG

old rail car 2.JPG

Reactions: TJ Starting
The Dana 30 can (and should) be geared to 5.13. You might be thinking of 5.38 (or even 5.89) gears, which are only available to the Dana 44.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETJQX4Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I looked through my vendors to include Atech and never saw a 5:13 for the Dana 30. Thank you for posting this. Carrier was originally a 3:73 so according to what I read this should fit. Thank you! Ordering
Anyone need some 4:88`s lol

Reactions: Steel City 06
Post them here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/parts-for-sale.128/Somebody will pick them up for the right price
I am concerned with highway driving and dont want the r's too high. I havent actually measured this tire diameter inflated but I really dont think its quite 37"s. The 411 set would scream at 85-90 with 32`s. Another reason for tire choice besides looks was weight and from what Ive researched fairly easy to balance.

You won't be doing 85-90 with 37's.

Agreed. 5.13 will barely reach 3k at 75mph.

If ride quality is what you are after, focus hard on shocks and getting the valving you want to provide what you are after. After that, the only thing you care to get from the lift kit is something that will create the ride height and put the axles and pinons where they need to be. ZJ steering is probably good enough. Brakes are going to be one of the easier things to get right.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Agreed. 5.13 will barely reach 3k at 75mph.

If ride quality is what you are after, focus hard on shocks and getting the valving you want to provide what you are after. After that, the only thing you care to get from the lift kit is something that will create the ride height and put the axles and pinons where they need to be. ZJ steering is probably good enough. Brakes are going to be one of the easier things to get right.
As I stand, Id really rather the 4.88`s. Ive cancelled order on the 513`s. I am looking into brakes. ZJ steering Ill have to research. Thanks.