Another TJ on 37s thread

As I stand, Id really rather the 4.88`s. Ive cancelled order on the 513`s. I am looking into brakes. ZJ steering Ill have to research. Thanks.
I really recommend sticking with the 5.13s. Many people on the forum run 5.13s and 35s with the 5 speed and enjoy it. Others run 4.88 with 35s and also are okay with it. 4.88 and 37s is going to suck on the freeway and be hard on the clutch.

I would recommend 5.38 if you had a front Dana 44, but since you don't, 5.13 is the highest you can go.

As for the brake kits, go with one of these kits:
https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/VANCO-Big-Brake-Kits-15-16-Super-16-and-17_c84.htm
They are very well received on the forum, and the owner is very easy to reach out to. I suspect the Super 16 or 17" kits are the better options in your case, but be sure to reach out to the owner.

Reactions: custommuffler
I really recommend sticking with the 5.13s. Many people on the forum run 5.13s and 35s with the 5 speed and enjoy it. Others run 4.88 with 35s and also are okay with it. 4.88 and 37s is going to suck on the freeway and be hard on the clutch.

I would recommend 5.38 if you had a front Dana 44, but since you don't, 5.13 is the highest you can go.

As for the brake kits, go with one of these kits:
https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/VANCO-Big-Brake-Kits-15-16-Super-16-and-17_c84.htm
They are very well received on the forum, and the owner is very easy to reach out to. I suspect the Super 16 or 17" kits are the better options in your case, but be sure to reach out to the owner.

Agree with this, I was running 5.13 for 35's and it was perfect. Moved to 37's and it wasn't terrible, but I ended up re-gearing to 5.38 when I replaced my rear with a Currie 60. Currie 44 in the front. 4.88 would be ok for 35's, but not 37's.

Definitely wouldn't go larger than a 17" wheel.

I'd worry about your Dana 30 with 37's. If you're not willing to replace the front with a Dana 44, stick with 35's.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I'm so excited to see how this turns out.
I lurked alot. I read and read. Dude yall on this site bash anyone not using Currie. Thats fact man. I figured what the hell, this is what Im doing so let me just dive in with yall. I get Im a newbie. Point well taken and well expected from what I read countless times on here. My build has nothing and I mean nothing to do with what a Jeep is made for. Certainly not what you guys do with them. Im in the swamp. Now really a concrete swamp. I love Jeeps and always have. Hence Ive always had one. Im not coming on here to be the man. This is you guys house, Im a guest. Just wanted some honest opinions, and info from yall. I used my jeep as a younger guy, Im 53 now. Take the doors off, no top, Ratt, Maiden or Priest slapped in the cassette. Yes my 99 had that. Im old. Just tryin to make this thing look newer for my son who will probably hit car shows, hang outs and cruise. Thats it man. Thanks for all the advice. Yall guys do some really sick shit with these things. Im a quarter mile guy and skis and boats. Shit yall drive through? No way would I do that lol. Hats off.

I’m the resident savvy / Currie hater on this forum (apparently). People aren’t telling you this is a bad idea because it doesn’t involve strictly savvy and Currie. It’s a bad idea because you are simply bolting half the parts you need onto the Jeep without the supporting modifications to make it work well.

For a show Jeep, your plan might work fine. But it isn’t a Jeep that is going to be dependable or nice to drive. If you keep that in mind you should be fine. But if you want your son to drive to school everyday in this Jeep, it might not work like you want. What makes a Jeep work well Offroad is what makes it work well on road as well.

Reactions: pc1p
I lurked alot. I read and read. Dude yall on this site bash anyone not using Currie. Thats fact man. I figured what the hell, this is what Im doing so let me just dive in with yall. I get Im a newbie. Point well taken and well expected from what I read countless times on here. My build has nothing and I mean nothing to do with what a Jeep is made for. Certainly not what you guys do with them. Im in the swamp. Now really a concrete swamp. I love Jeeps and always have. Hence Ive always had one. Im not coming on here to be the man. This is you guys house, Im a guest. Just wanted some honest opinions, and info from yall. I used my jeep as a younger guy, Im 53 now. Take the doors off, no top, Ratt, Maiden or Priest slapped in the cassette. Yes my 99 had that. Im old. Just tryin to make this thing look newer for my son who will probably hit car shows, hang outs and cruise. Thats it man. Thanks for all the advice. Yall guys do some really sick shit with these things. Im a quarter mile guy and skis and boats. Shit yall drive through? No way would I do that lol. Hats off.
I'm actually genuinely excited to see how it turns out. And there is a favor for those parts here, I don't have any of them, but that's ok. I think a lot of your plan will work out just fine. If it doesn't, you seem fully knowledgeable to remedy it after (and you know where to find us). If I was to stress any of the points, it would be the gear and brake recommendations. :) the rest is up to you

For a show Jeep, your plan might work fine. But it isn’t a Jeep that is going to be dependable or nice to drive. If you keep that in mind you should be fine. But if you want your son to drive to school everyday in this Jeep, it might not work like you want. What makes a Jeep work well Offroad is what makes it work well on road as well.

I guess I don't understand what makes a show Jeep a show Jeep. I get the bling, but does function not matter? Mine is a daily and I really enjoy that I can travel a couple hours to the trail and back at 75-80mph with very little drama.

Reactions: Tob and toximus
I guess I don't understand what makes a show Jeep a show Jeep. I get the bling, but does function not matter? Mine is a daily and I really enjoy that I can travel a couple hours to the trail and back at 75-80mph with very little drama.
This is what I imagine:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-unfortunate-tj-of-the-day-thread.23188/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-unfortunate-jku-jlu-of-the-day-thread.14182/

Realistically though, if I was building a mall crawler, I probably wouldn't think too hard about throwing 37s and a 6" Metalcloak lift at it. But that's not my goal.

Reactions: custommuffler

For something that needs to be driven to car shows and sit outside a shop for most of the year, it doesn’t need to be nice or work well. If I was only driving my Jeep to the car show down the road I wouldn’t have half the money in it that I do.

Re tinking the 513`s. After the premium coronas, and alot of talk here in the shop from a few loaded gearheads, I may reorder. Thanks guys.

That brings up n ow the 6" Metalcloak? Dude, I dont want my son to roll on a turn. But could that shit work,,,,,right?

Reactions: TJ Starting
Re tinking the 513`s. After the premium coronas, and alot of talk here in the shop from a few loaded gearheads, I may reorder. Thanks guys.

That brings up n ow the 6" Metalcloak? Dude, I dont want my son to roll on a turn. But could that shit work,,,,,right?

You have to figure out the rear drive shaft. And if you don't want the thing to roll, then you need to think hard about shocks.

Btw, we aren't suggesting Metalcloak because we think it is well suited for your purpose or anything else.

Most TJs with 35s go for 5" of lift. 6" wouldn't be unheard of for 37s. As with any mod, as the center of gravity gets higher, there is an increased risk of rollover. You can mitigate that risk with track width, center of gravity modification, shocks, and sway bars.

For a pure mall crawler, you might consider the Hellwig sway bars, which are significantly stiffer than stock. That will give you a more car-like ride on terms of body roll. They negatively impact off-road performance because they limit suspension flex, but on-road, they improve the feel of the car when cornering.
https://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/search-by-vehicle/?Year1=2006&Make=Jeep&Model=WranglerRear:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16002_0107.htmFront:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16002_0115.htm

You have to figure out the rear drive shaft. And if you don't want the thing to roll, then you need to think hard about shocks.

Btw, we aren't suggesting Metalcloak because we think it is well suited for your purpose or anything else.
Tom wood driveshat after I get lift in and dialed in on a rack. Only then can I measure what the hell I need. And im going with a double joint. Cause I hate reworking stuff. One and done is my policy.

Every 1" of lift makes it more likely that he will flop or roll. I don't recommend a lifted vehicle for a kid that hasn't been driving for long. 6" and 37's, there is a high probability that he will flop or roll it in the first year.

I remember my first trip to the beach the day after I turned 16. Almost missed the highway exit, turned too fast and almost crashed into the exit sign. A Jeep would've been on it's side.

My god, did TJ's still come with tape decks in '97? I stopped using tapes before '90. Still listen to Maiden though.

Reactions: aTJnamedTumbleweed
Every 1" of lift makes it more likely that he will flop or roll. I don't recommend a lifted vehicle for a kid that hasn't been driving for long. 6" and 37's, there is a high probability that he will flop or roll it in the first year.

I remember my first trip to the beach the day after I turned 16. Almost missed the highway exit, turned too fast and almost crashed into the exit sign. A Jeep would've been on it's side.

My god, did TJ's still come with tape decks in '97? I stopped using tapes before '90. Still listen to Maiden though.

My 99 Ford Explorer came with a tape deck.

My 99 Sahara came with one. As did my 97