Any CA Uber / Lyft drivers on here that are in touch with the issues?

Where was this tried and considered a failure? You are still talking about insurance and HSA’s suck like the rest of insurance.

You take out the insurance, you take out the government and let the market do it’s thing. You think any private company would survive and stay open if people could not afford the product or service?

No, this is what it would take to make health care affordable and let people invest their own money as they see fit. You get a higher wage since the company doesn’t have to have expensive health care plans, you save up like you would for retirement or invest that money and prepare. I can’t believe that the concept as simple as that is is hard to understand.
You do realize you just described a HSA right?

• Face Palm
Reactions: Rick Flair
Considering all the uninsured drivers on the road, why isn’t car insurance having to do the same?
If you consider that no one can be turned away from a hospital for non payment, lack of ability to pay, or no insurance here in CA, who do you think covers that cost, the magic medical expense fairy?

I also strongly suspect that our auto insurance rates would be a fair bit different if it weren't for uninsured drivers.

Reactions: Apparition and Hog
Does the car insurance cost go up due to location? Or is pretty standard?

It goes up based on location. I talked to my insurance broker about why auto insurance was so much more in Arizona than it was in Oregon. She told me it’s largely in part due to the massive amount of uninsured drivers coming up from Mexico, and the amount of vehicles that are stolen and then taken into Mexico and never recovered again.

Living next to the border definitely changes things. Far more uninsured drivers down here according to statistics.

Off the top of my head without studying it any at all, no. The only way it would be similar to Airbnb is if the cars were being rented and driven by the renter. Competing against Hertz, Enterprise, U-Haul, etc..
They are simply technology providers. Airbnb facilitates rentals in places where they are illegal such as regular residential zoned properties. Ride-share companies allow drivers to charge for rides like taxis but they don't meet the basic requirements of a taxi service. Kinda like Napster provided a platform to allow illegal activities but said they were just a technology corporation and not bound by the action of their users. All these cases seem to have one thing in common, one big company that want's to separate itself from what users of it's technology are doing. It doesn't work in the long run.

Possibly but she understands why the prices are inflated. It isn't because they can it is because they are using the ones that pay to subsidize the ones that don't.

Exactly. This is a system that is abused and doesn’t work. There are reasons why when I started with the state, I had 8 choices of plans. It’s now down to two shitty ones 20 years later.

Reactions: Apparition
They are simply technology providers. Airbnb facilitates rentals in places where they are illegal such as regular residential zoned properties. Ride-share companies allow drivers to charge for rides like taxis but they don't meet the basic requirements of a taxi service. Kinda like Napster provided a platform to allow illegal activities but said they were just a technology corporation and not bound by the action of their users. All these cases seem to have one thing in common, one big company that want's to separate itself from what users of it's technology are doing. It doesn't work in the long run.
What did napster charge for it's service?

What did napster charge for it's service?
Does the rate charged change the discussion? I don't mind too much what the commission is, I just feel that if you run a taxi service you follow taxi rules. If you run a rental company you rent properties that are legal to rent.

(I know there's no clear answer on all this at least to me but I enjoy the discussion and your input)

Because you are loading all the expense of healthcare only onto those that can and do work.

So you believe it is a governments job to force an industry to provide for all? You support illegals using this system?

If you privatize it and have communities take care of those who need care, it would work and hey, did before FDR’s time.

It works in Costa Rica like this too.

Reactions: Apparition
I basically said it up above. People will put off early preventative treatment and let issues compound. People suck at saving money and what do you do when you don't have a job?

You depth of understanding is far beyond my reach.