Any tips on driving my Jeep from from NY to OR?

Nice! Enjoy man. I drove from San Diego CA to Detroit MI and back in my TJ, twice. I loved it and can’t wait to do it again. Make as many stops as your time frame will allow!
View attachment 272587View attachment 272588View attachment 272589View attachment 272590
Wow those pics are incredible. And I’m definitely trying to! I’ll be spending more time seeing things as the trip goes on. After tomorrow, the next three days are all only about 4-5hrs of driving, all through national park areas(Bridget Tetons, sawtooth, craters of the moon, Boise national forests. I’ll be camping near Dubois WY and at the KOA near craters of the moon, then a campsite at pine flats campground in the Boise forest. I absolutely can’t wait for those days

Wow those pics are incredible. And I’m definitely trying to! I’ll be spending more time seeing things as the trip goes on. After tomorrow, the next three days are all only about 4-5hrs of driving, all through national park areas(Bridget Tetons, sawtooth, craters of the moon, Boise national forests. I’ll be camping near Dubois WY and at the KOA near craters of the moon, then a campsite at pine flats campground in the Boise forest. I absolutely can’t wait for those days
Awesome! The first time I drove the jeep cross country my wife came so we camped at camp sites and stayed at hotels. The second time was just me so I did a TON of cowboy camping, just drove to cool places and threw down the sleeping bag. You’ll remember this drive for many years to come. I honestly can’t wait to do it again.

200.gif

Or 3 days ago.

Heck yeah ! Memories for a lifetime.

Some more pics:
Jellyfish at the Omaha Zoo, a sunrise at the airbnb I stayed at near Lincoln NE, some awesome jeeps and other military vehicles at the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles. Wouldn’t mind getting one of those one Jeep bodies to build a buggy out of. Love the look. And then some pics of the crazy expanse of the grasslands of CO. I was very surprised by how open and flat it was. More than IA or NE.

09C716F6-2B64-41AD-95F7-739AA4EA00BF.jpeg

3AA39D8E-FDDA-406A-B0E2-C205CE2799A5.jpeg

A14F239D-4FF3-4822-A279-10E2359AFFAA.jpeg

DF23386A-5FE2-46DF-AA98-8111178181BE.jpeg

7F742BC8-BAB3-47EF-916B-496761A8C6DE.jpeg

15094135-CF8C-41A2-9852-D9FA4BE14976.jpeg

Some more pics! This was all from yesterday. Spent the day driving from Fort Collins CO, to Brooks Lake Campground in the Shoshone/Tetons area. Absolutely gorgeous, I couldn’t get enough of it. Sad I only got to spend one night there. Tomorrow I’ll be at Pine Flats campground in the Boise National forest and have more time to explore

515A5697-00A0-459C-9331-D69601926924.jpeg

D8D0E57A-504F-4662-841C-95B75160E201.jpeg

4BD4DA2F-DD7D-4144-B38F-138A633AF788.jpeg

F5D8CF1E-BED1-49A5-AFF6-C2FB6FA495F4.jpeg

0E718B3E-FD29-4794-9916-D8B058F4FB09.jpeg

6A8948C9-1E00-4EE0-8A83-5F4418C031C9.jpeg

15FFBEDB-FBCB-4592-ABD3-5A8D790FDE8B.jpeg

B15CBCEF-F552-421A-B2FA-59CA23C09A3A.jpeg

Somewhere in Western Idaho or Eastern Oregon there are rocks that look like petrified watermelons along both sides of the road for miles. They may be called Thunder Eggs because they supposedly were blown out of the old volcanos in the area. I remember a sign calling attention to them, but I just don’t remember exactly where they are. Perhaps along I80 in Western Idaho.
Just something different to see.
Enjoy your odyssey, I’m jealous….

Reactions: Reidminer
Somewhere in Western Idaho or Eastern Oregon there are rocks that look like petrified watermelons along both sides of the road for miles. They may be called Thunder Eggs because they supposedly were blown out of the old volcanos in the area. I remember a sign calling attention to them, but I just don’t remember exactly where they are. Perhaps along I80 in Western Idaho.
Just something different to see.
Enjoy your odyssey, I’m jealous….
Wow that sounds crazy. I might have to research that and see where it is. At this point I don’t want to sway from the plans I’ve set, but if it’s along the way or not too far off, it definitely sounds interesting!
Yeah it’s been a trip, definitely underestimated certain aspects of a drive/trip like this haha

Reactions: SPECWAR
Oooh yeah most definitely. I’ll be right there along with the minivans with the mattresses on top pulling a pop-up camper lol. I can do 70 comfortably but will probably keep it at 65
Speed limit is 80 in Wyoming on i80, you might just get ran off the road…for going that slow. I was doing 85 with the jk pulling a trailer and semis were blowing past me. I live a mile off 15 in Utah and the speed limit is 80 on parts of it too.

I'm loving this trip! Man am I itching to do a long trip in the Jeep.
Do it! I’ve put on about 2500mi so far without a single issue Jeep wise. The thing has been solid this entire time(knock on wood lol). I’m honestly quite proud and happy with how it’s been handling the trip. Gives me a lot more confidence in my wrangler in general. And the views have been great! Lots more open and flat areas than I expected, but when you get into the scenic areas, my goodness, it’s amazing.

Reactions: Apparition
More pics. Currently in Boise at a hotel for the night, needed internet to get on some job and apartment related things. These pics are from yesterday/today, the Buffalo were on the way to Jackson WY, pretty awesome sight. And on the way to Boise, I took 21 through the Boise National Forest…holy shit, that’s a crazy drive. 70mi of winding curved roadway, up and down through the mountains. Pretty awesome part of the drive!

A5145028-B509-41AB-925A-3FA4503D3F29.jpeg

C7445FAD-DE45-4DF7-9189-F2C1154BB375.jpeg

75BAC63E-33D1-4F6E-9A35-92DAFDF99CC9.jpeg

2B79578F-93FD-455D-9F79-AC5D3A42F8F4.jpeg

CD4651F5-BA7B-4742-B082-92364E2871EC.jpeg

EF4AD426-478D-4629-9920-32A2A1EE3512.jpeg

E01B6970-CCEF-4F9E-A1D0-DB2F1959ABA0.jpeg

86EAA1BE-3424-4880-BFFF-243B9CF490E5.jpeg

Alrighty folks, one final update for y’all!

So I finished the final leg of my journey on August 30th, arriving in Eugene OR. However… I arrived on the back of a tow truck lol

I spent two days in Bend with an Aunt and her daughter, relaxing and recharging. They took me to a couple places in the area, and her daughter and her Bf have dirt bikes so they took me to some gravel roads and we made an afternoon of it.

Well…I think the off roading was the final straw. I get going on the final day to do the last 2.5hrs to get to Eugene. I get about halfway there and my right front wheel bearing shat the bed. I had been hearing a very slight rubbing metal type noise over the last day of driving but I had thoroughly searched under and around the Jeep shaking and wiggling things trying to determine where the noise came from, with no luck. It was an intermittent sound and only able to be heard at lower speeds, so I figured I’d worry about it when I got to Eugene. Well the noise got much worse, and as I made a turn, I could feel exactly where it was coming from…my right front wheel bearing. I pulled over, and within a few minutes a fellow wrangler owner pulled up and we quickly determined the bearing was totally shot. The whole hub assembly was very hot too.

Since I knew I couldn’t make the final 70 miles with how the Jeep was currently, I called AAA. Cue 3hrs of waiting, get it loaded on, we get 40 miles onto the trip…when the tow truck blows a fan belt. Cue another 1.5hrs waiting for another tow truck, and then another 1.5hrs to get to Eugene. So 2.5hrs of driving took me about 8 lol.

Anyway, finally get into Eugene, had the Jeep dropped at my hotel as I didn’t have a shop to work on it yet. Found a shop the next day, had it towed to the shop, and they tore it apart and confirmed and showed me that the whole internals on that side were ruined. I bit the bullet and replaced both sides as I know things in pairs should be replaced as such.

Because my Jeep has non stock axles, it turns out only one company(Yukon) makes the spindle for the exact year Wagoneer axle I have. Cue 9 DAYS of waiting for the part to arrive, and 4hrs to install, and I was finally back in my Jeep lol.

While without my Jeep I rented a uhaul to throw my stuff in, as well as have something to get around to interviews and such. Ended up lining up a job and an apartment all without my own vehicle. Certainly was a headache to say the least but it worked out! I’m working at a custom fabrication company that does a ton of different stuff so I’m pretty happy on that front!

Do it! I’ve put on about 2500mi so far without a single issue Jeep wise. The thing has been solid this entire time(knock on wood lol). I’m honestly quite proud and happy with how it’s been handling the trip. Gives me a lot more confidence in my wrangler in general. And the views have been great! Lots more open and flat areas than I expected, but when you get into the scenic areas, my goodness, it’s amazing.
yep, you never say how good things are going until your done ! I know that from past experiences

Reactions: Reidminer