Washington Anyone else up here in Washington?

Anyone ever done the Owl Mtn Jeep Trail 102 in north Ferry County? Dad and I hunted up there a long time ago when he had his Bronco. Went all the way through one time; I remember having to cut a lot of downfall out and it took us most of the day to go the 7 miles through the trail. This was back in the day when the only way in was via highway 395 from the valley floor.

Naches is cool, something for every level of wheeling. The wagon trail is pretty easy but fun, I guided a small group Expedition type Toyota’s over it last year with no problems. Getting up to the rocks is pretty easy also depending on trail conditions and rout taken. And once at the rocks there are lines that range from easy with a stockish type rig to you need a rock buggy.
Oh it's the extended road driving that I have to gain confidence in haha!

Anyone ever done the Owl Mtn Jeep Trail 102 in north Ferry County? Dad and I hunted up there a long time ago when he had his Bronco. Went all the way through one time; I remember having to cut a lot of downfall out and it took us most of the day to go the 7 miles through the trail. This was back in the day when the only way in was via highway 395 from the valley floor.
Sounds cool never heard of it

I've never heard of it before, I'll have to look into that

I haven't heard of it and I've lived on the east side all my life. I'll have to check it out.

Reactions: JMT
Huh, when i looked it up I found a bunch of maps to an "owl mountain jeep trail" in Jefferson County out on the peninsula. It's even 7 miles long, am I missing the other one?

Huh, when i looked it up I found a bunch of maps to an "owl mountain jeep trail" in Jefferson County out on the peninsula. It's even 7 miles long, am I missing the other one?
There is an Owl mt up 395 few mi from the border. Little Boulder Creek Rd might lead to it.

There is an Owl mt up 395 few mi from the border. Little Boulder Creek Rd might lead to it.
That's the one. We hunted up there lots of years ago. This was before the Little Boulder road branched off north. We would go in from the bottom on 395 near Laurier up the Kerry Creek Trail. Part way up you could branch north to the Talisman Mine or continue west up and over the Owl Mtn. Trail. Now it appears that you go in through Little Boulder road and branch north until you reach the trailhead. Looks like that branch intersects the old Kerry Creek trail from the bottom and creates a new trailhead for the Owl Mtn Jeep Trail 102. It looks like it does a 7 mile loop coming out west of the trailhead and back to Little Boulder road. We used to jeep up from the bottom, tent camp at the top and hunt mule deer. I recently picked up my Jeep and am thinking about taking Dad back up for a nostalgic day trip. Next time I'm up in Colville I'm going to check at the ranger station to see if it's open. At one time back in 2009 it was being considered as a wilderness area with possible motorized vehicle restrictions. I don't want to get all the way up to the trailhead to find out it has been designated hiking only. I also want to know if the Kerry Creek trail is open to driving along the ridge to the Talisman Mine. Used to be able to get to it from the highway 395 access but I heard they gated it off at the bottom years ago.

Last edited:
I'm up around Colville and Republic at least once a month on business so I thought I'd stop in talk to them and get a FS map of the area.
It would be nice to have current info on the area. I dug out my metsker map of ferry county and it shows trail 102 along with many other trails up there.

Reactions: JMT
Yes, but I'm not sure which are still open are which are gated off. I'll try to find out on one of my visits up north. I really haven't hunted up there for a long time. When last up there I don't recall seeing the trailhead for 102, but maybe they reopened it. I think it was closed off when they ran the roads north of the Little Boulder Creek road. It may have been dozed closed and reopened later. We hunted up at the end of the new road but only half heartedly looked for where the new roads may have intersected the old trail. I know we couldn't get up the old Kerry Creek trail because it was gated off at the bottom by 395.

Reactions: JMT and Vasq
So we live in Eastern WA and do a lot of camping in the summer up in the Idaho panhandle in the National Forest. Idaho just announced that all of the campgrounds are closed until June 30th. I thought we always went camping to get away from people; you know, isolate. We have reservations for later in the summer. Hope they don't extend the ban through the summer.

We went out yesterday, north of Spokane, off 395, west of Waitts Lake, not quite to Roosevelt. It's all BLM land, which is really just another federal office. Not sure why they aren't closed too. Nothing real technical, a lot of mud this time of year.

1585447980034_IMG_20200328_143610962.jpg