Anyone ever driven across the country in their TJ?

I went around 65, if I recall correctly. Mpg was prpbably around 19 -20 mpg.

I remember a huge difference in mpg if i went 55 to 60, rather then 65 - 75.
What size tires are you running? I’m asking because I’m running 31s and I am thinking about making a trip to the beach about 6 hours away and I’m not sure if I want to make the trip in my Jeep because I don’t have cruise control but I really want to bring my Jeep to the beach. I have the 42RLE auto and I’ve been on the interstate a few times but my Jeep drives better at around 75-80 on the highway but I’m not sure what my gas mileage would be if I ran at that speed. Did u ever get ur Jeep to 80?

Should be a very fun trip! CJ I had I used to drive long surf trips on all the time. The JKU got a lot of miles between NY and DC and going up to the Cape (Cape Cod) from NY. Longest drive was from NY to South Florida round trip. No issues and one oil change. At the time the JKU had a 4" lift and rolling on 37" tires with a regear to 4.56( i know i know)

Reactions: Tzerambo
What size tires are you running? I’m asking because I’m running 31s and I am thinking about making a trip to the beach about 6 hours away and I’m not sure if I want to make the trip in my Jeep because I don’t have cruise control but I really want to bring my Jeep to the beach. I have the 42RLE auto and I’ve been on the interstate a few times but my Jeep drives better at around 75-80 on the highway but I’m not sure what my gas mileage would be if I ran at that speed. Did u ever get ur Jeep to 80?

I believe i was on 30's bfg at ko tires.
I had 3.07 gearing, 4.0 engine.

Yes, ive driven 80, but the mpgs will significantly drop... i would guess to 15 mpgs or lower.

Your leg will be tired... but id rather have a tired leg at the beach with my jeep... then have a rested leg at home.

Couple of stops and sensible driving will make all the difference. Great gas mileage in a Jeep is one of those things that just won't do well together.

Reactions: Tzerambo
Having a left foot dead pedal installed makes a huge difference in how long I can drive without needing a break to shake out the leg pain.

Reactions: Ephry73
I'll be taking my 98' cross country to Oregon from Connecticut for the first time this year I'll be towing it behind my motor home home. (Old bones). :)

Reactions: EJD
I'll be taking my 98' cross country to Oregon from Connecticut for the first time this year I'll be towing it behind my motor home home. (Old bones). :)
What’s bringing you over? Vacation?

I've taken my LJ across the country multiple times. I do TDYs (military) and love having it to wheel wherever I go.

When you get to Oregon, do yourself a favor and install some kind of customized ignition cutoff (something like this).

My first car in high school was gifted around the family and ended up with my estranged uncle. It got stolen out of his work parking lot, but somehow recovered. He put a steering wheel club on it, and next week, it was stolen again- they had used a battery-operated grinder to cut the club in half.

It's probably burned out somewhere on Marine Drive now.

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest!

I'm not who you asked but I've taken my TJ to 80 twice on the highway. 31.5" Falken Wildpeaks with no lift. Harrowing experience in the corners; I do not recommend (but it feels absolutely planted compared to a CJ at 55).