Anyone ever driven across the country in their TJ?

My son and I did just the opposite, Seattle to Philly in his 01 TJ https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/road-trip-in-the-tj-with-pops.15307/ . 3 days Seattle to Chicago, one day Chicago to Philly. It was nice to have 2 drivers and we were lucky to stay ahead of the weather. Make sure your mechanicals are good and enjoy the trip. Once you get passed the Mississippi the towns get farther and farther apart.

I think that's funny, I move from Jacksonville NC to Anchorage Alaska in August. 4500 mile trip and I plan to drive 500 a day for 10 days. I wanted to stop and enjoy all the scenery especially in Canada.

But if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

left Ft Bragg NC for Ft wainwright in July of 15.
On the 20th of August south of Alberta Canada we were in a white out blizzard. The 500 miles a day is a good goal. That’s about what we did, there isn’t much in terms of anything once you pass Dawson’s Creek CA. So much to see in Canada. You can Purchase the milepost off of Amazon. I didn’t find it all that useful, but the map was, since we were on a mission not just touring around like tourists in an RV
Roads are good but the gravel and frost heaves can be surprising.
let me know if you need anymore tips I’ve done the AlCan four times now.

Reactions: Blondie70
On the 20th of August south of Alberta Canada we were in a white out blizzard. The 500 miles a day is a good goal. That’s about what we did, there isn’t much in terms of anything once you pass Dawson’s Creek CA. So much to see in Canada. You can Purchase the milepost off of Amazon. I didn’t find it all that useful, but the map was, since we were on a mission not just touring around like tourists in an RV
Well I think I am running 3.73 gear ratio and want to go up to 4.56. I have 33×12.5×15 because the jump in rpms is going to be rough when I hit mountain passes. But I don't know anything else I will need. I have the 2019 Milepost, a snow shovel, electric air pump, jumper cables, tow straps, ski jacket, a new engine block heater, double core radiator, water pump, starter, steering pump, ac condenser, ac compressor, rad hoses, fuel pump, brakes and brake lines, and a spare tire. I think I am good to go. I will be making a post of my trip in August.

Well I think I am running 3.73 gear ratio and want to go up to 4.56. I have 33×12.5×15 because the jump in rpms is going to be rough when I hit mountain passes. But I don't know anything else I will need. I have the 2019 Milepost, a snow shovel, electric air pump, jumper cables, tow straps, ski jacket, a new engine block heater, double core radiator, water pump, starter, steering pump, ac condenser, ac compressor, rad hoses, fuel pump, brakes and brake lines, and a spare tire. I think I am good to go. I will be making a post of my trip in August.
Fuel cans. Some gas stations run upwards of $8 a gallon. I prefer to pass those

Remember when I said it gets windy here and they normally don't mention it.

They mentioned wind today. It should start blowing harder soon.

Capture.JPG

Good stuff , Not to be ignored. I think I may revisit this thread. Tools, fuel, water, earplugs/head set PRE DETERMINED OR NOT PODCAST, satellite radio, pillow ,blanket ,candle , flashlight SNACKS and my girlfriend for life ( wife). Sounds like fun. Keep driving those thoughts and JEEP on.

Reactions: Reidminer
My brother and I used to take a drive from central PA to the west coast every so often. We're both fun as hell and we would just take our time and enjoy the moment. Plan yo ride! 80 is the most direct route but if I remember correctly (and I might not) 90 was more scenic. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, some areas and some people are sketchier than others and the one thing we never left home without was a gun. Really only came in handy once but saved us from some potential trouble. I'm no concealed-carry type but I do keep a pistol in my suitcase.

Reactions: burghermike
How does your mileage compare to when you are just DD your Jeep? 🤔+10%? +25%? -10%?
Oof I’m running 35” on stock gears, manual transmission, I’m dreading the mountains I’m gonna have to go over on this trip

My brother and I used to take a drive from central PA to the west coast every so often. We're both fun as hell and we would just take our time and enjoy the moment. Plan yo ride! 80 is the most direct route but if I remember correctly (and I might not) 90 was more scenic. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, some areas and some people are sketchier than others and the one thing we never left home without was a gun. Really only came in handy once but saved us from some potential trouble. I'm no concealed-carry type but I do keep a pistol in my suitcase.
Yeah unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to get my concealed before I leave, BUT I do have a large survival knife in a kit in the back, a boot knife in the passenger door, a dagger in the center console, and I always have a belt knife and classic pocket knife...I think I may be okay in that department haha

How does your mileage compare to when you are just DD your Jeep? 🤔+10%? +25%? -10%?
My next motor is going to be a diesel. That whole swap intrigues me not to speak of the mileage. TDI of. 2.8 crate. Close to 30 mpg. I also pull an expedition trailer and it seems to be acquiring some additional creature comforts ( fridge, RTT, shower capabilities. ).

I am an old racer guy here, motorcycles and cars, new to jeeps, but tuned into motor power bands and gear ratios If I were making this trip and had planning on regearing later, if I had had the time I would think about writing down a couple things.

Take your current final drive ratio, look at the individual transmission gear ratios for each gear and multiply to come up with the number. For deciding what to do later with regear ratios, you can calculate each of your 6 (think you posted that) speeds to what would be equivalent of that number in each gear after your final regear changes and how that fits with your current motor torque/horsepower situation in real life.

Me, 98 4.0 5 speed having stock 3.07 gears, stock tires does not seem to click with others who have posted here suggesting keeping at least 3K rpm at all times. 3k in 3rd puts me at 55mph, a common speed sign around here, 5th at 3K flat and level in most of my driving areas would put me at about 102 mph. (had enough speeding tickets in life even with 4.56 gears on the street with my hot rod 64 chevelle station wagon, do not need more. haha) My "tractor motor" 4.0 pulls good at 1500 rpm (flat land) down the road and not lugging till it gets down to about 1200 at about 45mph slowing down where I shift to 4th. (Yep, drove a few motors in my life, know what lugging is, I have the feel. I adjust my constant speed prop by ear, then look at the chart to make sure I am OK) kinda same thing as re-gearing on the fly, haha

So, yep if you never use 6th or 5th and 4 low in first is too high, you might want to spend the $ to regear. If not, hell, I have had 3 speeds, 4 speeds. and now a 5 speed with a HI/LO I can do on the fly (different than my Suburban have to stop to shift) I just pick the gear that works for where I am. I drive 5th on the flat highway at 1700 or more and do not worry about it. Have one section of road to my house that is 4th about 3 miles. then 3rd the rest of the way in till I get to the hill just up to my house, then 2nd, then 1st to pull up the slanted drive, one of those "manual transmission" things, ya know? Pick the gear that works best.

OK, that was item one. now for number two. I am an old guy, worked on nitro race cars, rode loud motorcycles, shooting, loud music, aircraft, before anyone thought about ear protection. Someone mentioned ear plugs. Got me to thinking about noise cancelling headsets. Wondering how that might work.

Not the ones like in my planes, only able to hear what I have plugged into my aircraft radios, but the ones I use for shooting, or even the $15 ones from harbor freight I use for mowing. Blanks out the shots, but can have a conversation with someone talking with me, I train shooting a lot. Might blank out (attinuate) the background noise in my jeep, but if Barnie Fife walked up and said, "Whatch doing with those on" I could easily hear what he said. Hummm I am an old guy with loud noises adjusting my hearing, causes ringing in my ears. Shezam, I just considered this. Will report back later. Was out with a flight instructor one time on a cross country, asked why I adjusted the pitch on the prop. I stated it did not feel right. He called flight service, barometric pressure had changed due to a fornt. Prop, sound gave me the feed back it was trying to go up hill. Not much different than driving up or down a hill but in a different demontion.

Reactions: Mrprez
Its a tough one, but doable.

I drove from san diego, ca to san antonio, tx once. Not fun.

I also drove from san diego to dallas THEN to milwaukee. That was a doozie.

2005 Tj, 31s, softtop, NO cruise control, standard.

My right leg was sooo tired from oressing on the gas pedal for 3 days straight.

My advice, take lots of breaks and get hotels at night.

Both cross country drives... i went straight through, non stop.

Its a tough one, but doable.

I drove from san diego, ca to san antonio, tx once. Not fun.

I also drove from san diego to dallas THEN to milwaukee. That was a doozie.

2005 Tj, 31s, softtop, NO cruise control, standard.

My right leg was sooo tired from oressing on the gas pedal for 3 days straight.

My advice, take lots of breaks and get hotels at night.

Both cross country drives... i went straight through, non stop.
[/QUOTE/]
What speed did you do on the interstate and what was your mpg?
What speed did you do on the interstate and what was your mpg? Sorry i messed it up the first reply.

Last edited:
What speed did you do on the interstate and what was your mpg? Sorry i messed it up the first reply.
I went around 65, if I recall correctly. Mpg was prpbably around 19 -20 mpg.

I remember a huge difference in mpg if i went 55 to 60, rather then 65 - 75.

Reactions: Chris