Anyone familiar this turbo?

Ludogsonthemoon

I'm looking for a turbocharger for my '98 Sahara. The only kit I can find for a pre1999 TJ is this one from mmispeedshop.com. Does anyone out there have any experience with this kit? Is it any good?

1997-1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L I6 4LTurbocharger Kit Stage 2 New Custom Turbo​

32_8bac45f8-5905-45d4-8c52-24654ab5c983_1024x1024@2x.jpg

57_9887ff1a-3ff9-401b-8ebe-7c89f96bf05c_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Looks like a cheap Chinese "T3/T4" turbo to me. Probably a cheap kit slapped together with random ebay parts. The first thing you should look at with any kit if you are considering a bolt on solution is what they offer for tuning. That will give you an idea of how well thought out the kit is specific for our Jeeps.

To be more specific, while perfectly functional, the cheap Chinese turbo in that kit is one of the cheapest parts to worry about in the system. The only half way decent bolt on kit I'm aware of for TJs is the Banks kit and they don't make it anymore.

A quality turbo should cost between $800-1500 just for the turbo. If what they are using is cheaper than that it has the potential to fail taking your engine with it. Good wastegates are minimum $400. Cheaper wastegates can fail closed or delay opening causing boost spikes that will ruin your engine. If they don't tell you the brand names of the components it's because they don't want you to know.

not familiar with jeeps and turbos.. but that intercooler looks like its damn near pointless in the orientation as well as placement.
I think you are definitely right about that one. Air-to-air Intercoolers of that style require airflow - and a cool airflow at that.

Reactions: lBasket
I’d stay away from that whole setup. Offered by “Phab” it says on their website. Do a quick google search. It’s all eBay junk. That’s a quick way to ruin your TJ.

To echo the others… I’d stay away from it unless you have no problems replacing the motor WHEN the turbo craps out.

Though I wish there were still a good turbo kit for our jeeps… Really would love one.

Though I wish there were still a good turbo kit for our jeeps… Really would love one.
Trouble is a good bolt on kit with tuning, fuel system and quality components would likely cost more than the market could support. I don't see being able to do it for under $5k.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Trouble is a good bolt on kit with tuning, fuel system and quality components would likely cost more than the market could support. I don't see being able to do it for under $5k.

I could do tuning myself if needed, I’ve had HPtuners for years. Yea I do see where 5k would make it too expensive for most people though…

If that cheap turbo isn't balanced well it and it spits turbine blades into your intake the turbo isn't gonna be the only thing getting ruined

If that cheap turbo isn't balanced well it and it spits turbine blades into your intake the turbo isn't gonna be the only thing getting ruined
Usually what happens if the turbo goes the bearings or bushings shrapnel and slide right down the oil return into the oil pan. Oil pump picks them up and you can figure out the rest.

Reactions: MikeE024