Anyone run Metalcloak 6-pack shocks?

On full stuff that bulky “pack” seems like it would hit the gas tank skid or frame rail.

I would try some out if I could demo instead of purchase, like I said though I don't have any issues currently with the 2.0's

Reactions: Chris
The frame when the axle moves sideways as it must do when the axle moves left/right as it moves up/down when offroading. Even my conventional rear shocks run into the frame since my rear axle flexes a lot on my trails.
is there something about the Rancho's that makes them more likely to hit? is it a monotube shock thing? my Fox 2.0's dont hit the frame but they do push up against the tail pipe in some situations because theres a witness mark on the decal but not enough to damage the shock body.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Here a some questions.

How much do the extra brackets add to the compressed and extended lengths? The front needs a BPE and an upper pin adapter to mount in the stock location.

What does it take to build a TJ that can make use of 15" of shock travel? That can't happen in stock width axles.

What needs to be done to fit these shock for 50/50 travel? That means 7.5" up, 7.5" down.

Not even MC own rear springs will support 15" of travel. I am not sure any of their springs will allow for 7.5" of up.

What driveshafts in a TJ can support 15" of travel? The Rubicon with a rear DC can't handle more than ~11" without a limit strap over the diff. I know this first hand.

The 6 Pack shocks are what they are. But I can't help think that they are a confusing solution to an exaggerated problem that creates a bunch more problems.

This isn't even talking about the valving or the tunability, which I know nothing about.

is there something about the Rancho's that makes them more likely to hit? is it a monotube shock thing? my Fox 2.0's dont hit the frame but they do push up against the tail pipe in some situations because theres a witness mark on the decal but not enough to damage the shock body.

Fox IFPs and RR shocks are pretty slim compared to other options. The 6 packs look a little in the fat side.

That can't happen in stock width axles.

At what point does the axle articulate so much that the tires hit the MC shocks? And let's not pretend that you're trying to get 15" of travel with 31s — so let's leave the "it works with small tires" argument out of it.

Reactions: DrDmoney and jjvw
You do have the belly tucked, correct?

I do. And the way mine is setup, the shock travel is putting the rear driveshaft right to the upper and lower ends of it's swing. Assuming they can even fit, 6 Packs would not be useful on mine.

Here a some questions.

How much do the extra brackets add to the compressed and extended lengths? The front needs a BPE and an upper pin adapter to mount in the stock location.

What does it take to build a TJ that can make use of 15" of shock travel? That can't happen in stock width axles.

What needs to be done to fit these shock for 50/50 travel? That means 7.5" up, 7.5" down.

Not even MC own rear springs will support 15" of travel. I am not sure any of their springs will allow for 7.5" of up.

What driveshafts in a TJ can support 15" of travel? The Rubicon with a rear DC can't handle more than ~11" without a limit strap over the diff. I know this first hand.

The 6 Pack shocks are what they are. But I can't help think that they are a confusing solution to an exaggerated problem that creates a bunch more problems.

This isn't even talking about the valving or the tunability, which I know nothing about.
Fox IFPs and RR shocks are pretty slim compared to other options. The 6 packs look a little in the fat side.
I don't think they are much more than the 2.0's with the reservoir piggybacked on the shock body.

Reactions: Alex01
I don't know... it'd sure sound impressive at the bar after a trail ride that your shocks have 15" of travel — meanwhile everyone else will merely be trying to brag about how they got the best cheap light bar with reward points on Amazon. Poor mortals.

Can you imagine how unfun I am at a bar? :)

I don't think they are much more than the 2.0's with the reservoir piggybacked on the shock body.

I honestly don't know. I just know that a good amount of my stuff fits together with enough room to slide in a cheap business card and small changes can create an avalanche of other changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
At what point does the axle articulate so much that the tires hit the MC shocks? And let's not pretend that you're trying to get 15" of travel with 31s — so let's leave the "it works with small tires" argument out of it.

The way mine is setup on 33s and stock axles, any more front flex past 11" shocks and the tires really dig into the upper spring mounts. 35s make a bunch of other trouble that I at least understand how to address. Fitting 15s and using it is something of a mystery to me.

Metalcloak makes good products, but they are definitely over-marketed.

From what I can tell, the 6pak shocks remove the compressed length from the equation, but do have other packaging concerns. They have such a long extended length because they were intentionally designed to have the maximum amount of extended length without compromising compressed length for multiple jeeps (not just the TJ). Most people aren't going to ever need that much compressed length. If they are, they are going to be running a custom set up where it's easy to work around the wider body.

The reported ride is good. They also seem to need more frequent servicing, which isn't a big deal on a rig with custom suspension.

The price tag doesn't really justify the benefits, especially for 99% of people with stock mounts.

Anyone run six pack shocks ? Thoughts on them or thoughts on suspension setups? Need to upgrade my suspension soon, not super big on doing a bigger lift as I currently have a 3 inch lift. Just want some opinions on others who wheel their Jeep, but drive on road still.
OP, if you are still there, I have them on the front and am happy with the ride so far both on and off the road.

Reactions: rasband and Alex01
The rear MC shocks would require you to cut your current shock mounts and weld in new ones.
MC.JPG

OP, if you are still there, I have them on the front and am happy with the ride so far both on and off the road.

Are you able to utilize the 15" of travel? What are the interferences at the outer reaches?

no, and I never made a claim like that. I simply said it gave me more travel down that my 10.1" Fox 2.0's restricted.

What is the limit to down and what are the springs doing at that point?