Anyone run Metalcloak 6-pack shocks?

Michaelp3257

Anyone run six pack shocks ? Thoughts on them or thoughts on suspension setups? Need to upgrade my suspension soon, not super big on doing a bigger lift as I currently have a 3 inch lift. Just want some opinions on others who wheel their Jeep, but drive on road still.

There was a thread on this a while back, and I think that we came to the conclusion that those shocks were packaged so large that it was a limiting factor. There's far better shocks out there for the money.

There was a thread on this a while back, and I think that we came to the conclusion that those shocks were packaged so large that it was a limiting factor. There's far better shocks out there for the money.
Thank you! I’ll have to check it out! Any personal recommendations?

Thank you! I’ll have to check it out! Any personal recommendations?

Well if you want the best-of-the-best, do an outboard shock conversion and have @pcoplin hook you up with some custom tuned shocks (i.e. Fox shocks). If you're just looking for a good bolt-on shock with the stock mounts, my favorite off-the-shelf shocks are the Rancho RS5000X shocks, but many people like the Fox ones, as well as the Bilstein shocks too.

I have fox 11" upfront and rancho rs5000x in the rear. @DrDmoney has a pair of 6paks upfront and they seemed to perform very well on the rubicon.

I would be interested in looking into the rears one day since they seem to be much easier than outboarding. I believe the fronts are bolt-on while the rear would require welding. Lite brite has been using them on their JL and they seem to be performing flawlessly.

Not too many people are running them around here so it's hard to get a long term review. Since MC is only around an hr from me I would be less hesitant to buy a set because I could easy drive to the shop if I had any issues.

So far in my reading and understanding of metalcloak is there’s a lot of marketing fluff and PR offensive going on. To date there’s nothing to convince me to buy them over longer proven alternatives, especially considering various companies tend to specialize in dedicated components.

Im happy to be wrong on this, but as I plan my next phase of the build, MC is so far not on the list of options.

One of the biggest reasons for metal cloak for me was it’s all bolt on stuff and I’ve seen their shop in person before I got stationed someone where else and they seem( I could be wrong), but they seem to run a legit setup producing good stuff

All my dealings with metalcloak have been excellent. They are real people and go wheeling all the time. Not just dipshits who are Internet wheelers. They make quality parts who also happen to have a good marketing campaign. Not every product is perfect but no parts are going to be perfect for everyone out there. They are also 2 minutes from my business so I can get stuff right away, which is a plus. Their facility is pretty nice.

I believe most of the hatred comes from their over-exaggerated claims. Matson at Metalcloak has never backed up his numbers when asked repeatedly on multiple forums that he was (or still is?) a member of.

Metalcloak is what it is and the 6pack shocks are what they are.

Look at the measurements and understand how their stuff fits compared to other options. Don't assume they are the among the best or among the worst. Neither is accurate. They are a bolt on company with a very specific build ideology. Their products reflect that, which includes several glaring blind spots.

Last edited:
I take them seriously, I have been dealing with them as a consumer as well as a fellow off roader trying to keep trails open. I have not had any problems with them, in fact they have provided excellent service, online, on the phone, and in person. They are very involved in the off road community working with groups like The Friends of the Rubicon and The Rubicon Trail Foundation, putting on Sho and Shine events, Skilz Day at Prairie City OHV teaching basic to intermediate skills as well as recovery skills etc. I had to have my shocks modified for my aftermarket axle assemblies which they told me to bring them down to the shop and took care of them right away, also gave me free brackets for the top mounting. Hey they still make TJ products too, several of which I personally use.

They fit fine without any interference?

None whatsoever and they have a heim joint at the axle vs a bushing which put my Fox shocks in a bind at full droop.

I could see that for the fronts, but I just can't understand how you'd fit the rears on a stock setup (without outboarding them at least).

What would they interfere with? I still run the Fox 2.0 on the back with no issues.

Reactions: Alex01
None whatsoever and they have a heim joint at the axle vs a bushing which put my Fox shocks in a bind at full droop.

What would they interfere with? I still run the Fox 2.0 on the back with no issues.

On full stuff that bulky “pack” seems like it would hit the gas tank skid or frame rail.

Is the gas tank raised? When I stuffed the gas tank an inch, I needed to cut the steel shaft covers off of the OME shocks to make them clear in the stock locations. I would expect more trouble with more travel shifting the axle more.