Are 37s the new 35s?

Makes me ask, “why?” Why do people get so stuck on tire size?
They got it new in 2002, and it probably has not been off road in the last 10 years. She just drives it back and forth to work, and around town. In itself, nothing wrong with that. There's probably tons of TJ owners in that category....

She had the oem top on for most of the recent past, but would fold down the top without removing the windows. As you can imagine, you couldn't see out the windows, and that did a number on the plastic windows. She recently got a new top, but it is the old style Supertop or Smittybilt kind, with the funky bows and the body channels that bolt to the top of the body rails; a header that stays on with a channel that a plastic flap on the material slides into, and the top material is really flimsy.

She had 31x10.50-15 tires on it on the same wheels prior to the 33s, and those looked ok, but these tires...

So basically, she has done nothing to the TJ since buying it new but drive it, put gas in it, do the maintenance needed, and put new tires on periodically, and a different top, albeit a bottom of the line top. And is perfectly happy to drive it exactly that way back and forth to work, and around town. And probably will until it quits running. That's all she wants, you cannot fault her for that.

I don't know how the 33s don't rub, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
37's seem to be the new standard for the new JK's.
I can attest to this. I have a '13 JKUR and just moved to 37s from 35s. In all the trips, 37s definitely more common now than 35s.

I can say with the length of the JK, a 37" tire just works better. I get high centered a lot less frequently.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: YellaTJ
I can attest to this. I have a '13 JKUR and just moved to 37s from 35s. In all the trips, 37s definitely more common now than 35s.

I can say with the length of the JK, a 37" tire just works better. I get high centered a lot less frequently.

I dont know much about Jks... Hows the gears move them big 37s?

I had to regear. Jeep came with 4.10s and went to 4.56. That was at the time when "I wont ever go to a 37, 35s just suit me fine" stage.

I have the 3.6L and an auto trans, it's not super bad with 4.56 but 4.88 would be better with 37s.

The 3.6 pentastar is substantially stronger than our beloved 4.0 but a regear is still the way to go when running 37's.
My close friend who i offroad with regeared to 5.13s and made a huge difference.

They got it new in 2002, and it probably has not been off road in the last 10 years. She just drives it back and forth to work, and around town. In itself, nothing wrong with that. There's probably tons of TJ owners in that category....

She had the oem top on for most of the recent past, but would fold down the top without removing the windows. As you can imagine, you couldn't see out the windows, and that did a number on the plastic windows. She recently got a new top, but it is the old style Supertop or Smittybilt kind, with the funky bows and the body channels that bolt to the top of the body rails; a header that stays on with a channel that a plastic flap on the material slides into, and the top material is really flimsy.

She had 31x10.50-15 tires on it on the same wheels prior to the 33s, and those looked ok, but these tires...

So basically, she has done nothing to the TJ since buying it new but drive it, put gas in it, do the maintenance needed, and put new tires on periodically, and a different top, albeit a bottom of the line top. And is perfectly happy to drive it exactly that way back and forth to work, and around town. And probably will until it quits running. That's all she wants, you cannot fault her for that.

I don't know how the 33s don't rub, though.

Like it or not, that’s the norm for most Jeep owners. For most of these guys, lift kits and bigger tires are just for show so it really doesn’t matter what size diffs are in it or if the bump stops are set properly. A stock TJ with street tires is perfectly capable of doing the type of four wheeling that most lifted Jeeps on big tires see (ie driving down a dirt road) so it’s hardly about performance.

When I see a tricked out Jeep, I always look at the sliders and bumpers to see if they’ve ever hit a rock. It’s amazing how rarely they have any marks at all. Maybe 1 in 20 whether TJ, YJ or JK. Sure is a lot of money to spend on dressing up a rig, but to each their own.

Last edited:
This all depends what you want. Look at this picture showing how tiny my 33's on my TJ look next to a CJ with a big lift etc. Would I want that CJ? Not really, but it is no messing around. Still you can keep going bigger and bigger. Sort of like my S5. I could run well over 500hp with ease, but it is pretty damn fast at 330hp. You can always go bigger, but what is right for you?

06052018924.jpg

Reactions: RonnieS