Are these axles worth salvaging and using or too far gone?

While I'm at it, here are some pictures of the gears themselves (for the rear axle only). I believe the donor had around 120k miles on it. This seems OK for wear to me on the ring + pinion, except those scrapes or something (is this what a chip looks like??) on the ring gear. Spider gears seem fairly worn compared to what I've seen in photos of new. Is any of this worth being concerned about?

View attachment 315974

View attachment 315975

View attachment 315976

View attachment 315977

View attachment 315978

View attachment 315979

View attachment 315980

View attachment 315981
Get ball-peen hammer and Tappy, Tap, Tap whole axle, it should make clean Ping sound. If axle has Flat sound it's a bad area.
The Bad spot can be "Boxed" if small and does not go around whole axle.

I did some extensive exploration with a hammer and chisel, fortunately there is good metal everywhere except under the cap of one of the spring mounts. Easy fix. Needle scaler is currently a bust (bought the cheap one at harbor freight, think I got a bad unit), anyway I'm going to call around and look for a place to have them media blasted - I think that's probably more worth my time.

IMG_20220317_2111537.jpg

I want to remove the gears before I have them blasted since I'll be rebuilding them anyway. Front Dana 30 carrier appears to have a roll pin instead of a bolt to retain the carrier cross pin. Is this from the factory or POS? Am I supposed to drift it out? Looking around for a suitable punch...

It’s factory. Just a punch needed. It comes out pretty easy. Pull the carrier and knock it out on you workbench.

Reactions: xXDavidCXx
Howdy all, I've made some more progress. The needle scaler is a wonderful tool, so is an air chisel for some more stubborn small spots remaining.

IMG_20220324_1822420.jpg
IMG_20220324_1822454.jpg

Wowza, look at that! I'm doing my best to strip the scale off both axles and get down to [rusty] actual metal. Definitely won't be able to reach all the little nooks and crannies but I have managed to get them looking almost as pretty as Irun and Mike_H before you guys painted. I have a sand blaster filled with coal slag which I've given a bit of a go, there is absolutely no way I have the patience to do this entire axle. I'll use it for the small pieces and the stripped down axle housings will go to a sand blaster (tworley method) soon as I can get off my lazy tush to load them into the truck in the cold weather.

IMG_20220322_1840232.jpg

One front spring perch had pretty bad rust around the retainer. I've checked ferociously the rest of this spring perch is really good metal - surprise to me but a good one. I'm planning to reconstruct this part by grinding a flat and welding in some pieces of steel bar stock in a semicircle.

IMG_20220328_1321212.jpg

On a related note, I'm having quite a time removing the front axle U joints. These are pretty rough. I'm hopeful this is an uncommon circumstance resulting from a somewhat poorly maintained Jeep...

IMG_20220328_1321294.jpg

My goodness, that's not grease.

IMG_20220328_1321160.jpg

Pressing out the U joints, one of the hub side axle pieces cracked. Kinda debating if I should pull a full axle from a junkyard or what. New axles look to be out of my budget. Someone tell me it's stupid to think I could fix this by welding it back together.

Howdy all, I've made some more progress. The needle scaler is a wonderful tool, so is an air chisel for some more stubborn small spots remaining.

View attachment 319012View attachment 319011

Wowza, look at that! I'm doing my best to strip the scale off both axles and get down to [rusty] actual metal. Definitely won't be able to reach all the little nooks and crannies but I have managed to get them looking almost as pretty as Irun and Mike_H before you guys painted. I have a sand blaster filled with coal slag which I've given a bit of a go, there is absolutely no way I have the patience to do this entire axle. I'll use it for the small pieces and the stripped down axle housings will go to a sand blaster (tworley method) soon as I can get off my lazy tush to load them into the truck in the cold weather.

View attachment 319014
One front spring perch had pretty bad rust around the retainer. I've checked ferociously the rest of this spring perch is really good metal - surprise to me but a good one. I'm planning to reconstruct this part by grinding a flat and welding in some pieces of steel bar stock in a semicircle.

View attachment 319015
On a related note, I'm having quite a time removing the front axle U joints. These are pretty rough. I'm hopeful this is an uncommon circumstance resulting from a somewhat poorly maintained Jeep...

View attachment 319016

View attachment 319017

Pressing out the U joints, one of the hub side axle pieces cracked. Kinda debating if I should pull a full axle from a junkyard or what. New axles look to be out of my budget. Someone tell me it's stupid to think I could fix this by welding it back together.
Get some take-off axles from someone upgrading...

Or...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/626332635271662/

View attachment 319012View attachment 319011

View attachment 319014

View attachment 319015

View attachment 319016

View attachment 319017

Someone tell me it's stupid to think I could fix this by welding it back together.
Okay, it's a stupid idea. As @Mike_H said. Find some take off axles. You're wasting time at this point with the old axle shafts and risking something that will be one and only one thing, unsafe!

Lol, first thing I thought was to submerge it and do electrolysis after hitting it with needle scaler…. Wish I had a sand blaster…

Lol, first thing I thought was to submerge it and do electrolysis after hitting it with needle scaler…. Wish I had a sand blaster…
This guy makes it look easy enough https://www.instructables.com/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/ if I knew where to get a large enough bucket to fit the whole housing 😅 maybe someone selling a used kiddie pool. Just when I already loaded up one housing into the truck... second one still undergoing minor repair.

Don't worry y'all I'm throwing out the axle shafts. I'll find a set in better condition.

This guy makes it look easy enough https://www.instructables.com/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/ if I knew where to get a large enough bucket to fit the whole housing 😅 maybe someone selling a used kiddie pool. Just when I already loaded up one housing into the truck... second one still undergoing minor repair.

Don't worry y'all I'm throwing out the axle shafts. I'll find a set in better condition.
I've done some electrolytic rust repair. It works...but I always wondered what to do with the solution when you're done with the job...

What part of OH are you in? I know a 2 places around Dayton/Springfield that can sandblast and paint fairly cheap. One of the shops I had just sandblast the front axle for $70 and the other shop did blasting and powdercoating for really cheap because I work with them at work.

CB37C3FB-3236-43C8-B843-0EFA10095EE0.jpeg

31EB3610-E12F-4C39-A0E9-28B1BDDADFE1.jpeg

BE469AE4-D2C8-42CF-A91D-28E92B559E85.jpeg

You guys need to stop showing me pictures of these sandblasted axles...I have my rear axle out and on a bench RIGHT NOW and its pretty much stripped. These pics are making me want to jump off the deep end and have it done!

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
I've seen and brought back ones worse than this. For anything in this shape I would do the following:

- remove everything, including the knuckles (you'll need new ball joints anyway), this makes the work go much faster
- start with an air scaler and go to town on the housing and brackets (The air scaler allows you to get into places a grinder with a flap disc won't)
- run a 60 or 80 grit flap disc, on a grinder, over every place possible to smooth things out
- inspect all the brackets for perforations or separated welds, and repair as needed
- degrease everything, then spray with a "Rust Reformer"
- once dried, spray with a self etching primer
- once dried, spray with a fast drying satin black (The Kryon link I included dries, legitimately, in 8 - 10 minutes, depending on temperature)
- reassemble everything

That said, main areas of concern would be the brackets, for both the front and rear, and the knuckles. My reason for including the knuckles here is it's hard to see how much damage has been done. You just need to inspect them carefully, ensuring there are no fractures, overall, or damage to where the calipers slide. If anything doesn't look right, you can always get replacement (used) knuckles.

As for the gears, you could try running them like @Mike_H said, but be prepared to replace them as necessary. From my perspective, they look damaged, but it's really hard to tell. If you're worried about the spider gears, those can be replaced.

FWIW, here is one I did a while ago. Not as bad as yours, but the steps are the same. Being 100% up front, it's a lot of work, but the effort can be worth it if you take your time and don't shortcut!

View attachment 316063
View attachment 316064

Spider Gear Replacement -

Air Scaler -
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-needle-scaler-1108.html
Flap Discs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6LNRXM/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Rust Reformer -
https://www.harborfreight.com/1025-...MIiO-Y3tvK9gIV34taBR001AWYEAQYAiABEgLQU_D_BwE
Self Etching primer - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gray-Rus...hing-Primer-Spray-12-Oz/16816075?athbdg=L1200
Krylon Satin Black - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-R...VyVByCh2bPwmWEAQYASABEgIcKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
This members ability to restore and maintain undercarriage appearance is remarkable. @Chris, we need to make sure he gets mentioned for best undercarriage at the awards this year.