Arizona Rock Crawler

I have a JJ tower and the cast mount JJ I can sell you now

This reminds me that I used a CAD Hp30 which has a big cast mount on the passenger side so if I did a 3 link I'd be cutting that sucker off. Might just leave it lol.

Part of why I did that was price and availability, but I also didn't mind being able to install a JJ without needing to weld in a new tower.

Reactions: Wildman
Just realized I never posted a pic of the whole truss on. I will fill those holes on top with weld, and then either cut a notch or just drill a hole for access to the ARB bulkhead fitting. It’s actually in a good spot for where my link mount will land. Right next to it, so the line can come up to the link easily.
5CA9A8E1-E136-4AC6-AD03-F4C9120BC037.jpeg

I like how cleanly the truss was able to tie into the truss on the tube. I ended up cutting my notches on top for the cast mount nubs a little big, but they filled in nicely and are mostly invisible now. The welds on the tube on the left were my most boogery. I can’t remember what happened there but for the most part I was happy with how my welds welds looked. They are no genright welds, but I feel confident they will hold. As always, I welcome constructive criticism here if you feel you can teach me to weld better!
4105C15E-78F9-4A72-874B-215B069D7FEA.jpeg

17B29F9D-9C8B-4912-AD91-36E698EC6CBE.jpeg

Had to fill a little gap here with multiple passes.
95F5B379-507D-4A7D-A58E-AE031989D386.jpeg

Just realized I never posted a pic of the whole truss on. I will fill those holes on top with weld, and then either cut a notch or just drill a hole for access to the ARB bulkhead fitting. It’s actually in a good spot for where my link mount will land. Right next to it, so the line can come up to the link easily.
View attachment 306915
I like how cleanly the truss was able to tie into the truss on the tube. I ended up cutting my notches on top for the cast mount nubs a little big, but they filled in nicely and are mostly invisible now. The welds on the tube on the left were my most boogery. I can’t remember what happened there but for the most part I was happy with how my welds welds looked. They are no genright welds, but I feel confident they will hold. As always, I welcome constructive criticism here if you feel you can teach me to weld better!
View attachment 306916
View attachment 306918
Had to fill a little gap here with multiple passes.View attachment 306917
Stop trying to make Mig welds look like Tig welds.

• Haha
Reactions: HornedToad
Right now I use a continuous bead and do tiny little cursive e’s. I always thought the point and shoot was what you don’t want with mig. How should I correct it?
Your weld appearance says you are fibbing. You are doing a forward wash and pulling almost straight back to duplicate the look of a Tig weld. You may not know you are doing that but pay attention to the next weld you do and tell me I'm wrong.

Reactions: starkey480
Your weld appearance says you are fibbing. You are doing a forward wash and pulling almost straight back to duplicate the look of a Tig weld. You may not know you are doing that but pay attention to the next weld you do and tell me I'm wrong.
Yes, I pull it back at the top of the cursive e. I will stop doing that.

Is that what’s called a whip, Blaine? What’s that do to the quality of the weld?

Is that what’s called a whip, Blaine? What’s that do to the quality of the weld?
I don't know what they call it, it's bullshit. In a stressed weld, each of the edges is a stress riser that gives the weld a place to crack. Fortunately, we rarely weld high load welds and we throw so much weld material in a weld that we are way overkill so we get away with all manner of shit a real welder would never do.

I don't know what they call it, it's bullshit. In a stressed weld, each of the edges is a stress riser that gives the weld a place to crack. Fortunately, we rarely weld high load welds and we throw so much weld material in a weld that we are way overkill so we get away with all manner of shit a real welder would never do.
That makes perfect sense. I will work on it

Have an example of what it should look like?

I wish I could keep my progress going but I leave for another pole vault competition today and will be gone most of the weekend. Progress will resume next week.
To do list is still
- get the carrier in and check the pattern
- make the frame bracket for the 3 link
- put axle under the rig
- hydro assist install

Reactions: NashvilleTJ