Arizona Rock Crawler

Nice one 😣!!

This was my most recent finger woops. Unfortunately I can't say my Jeep did it to me though. Eventually ended up having to have surgery to remove the bone shards.
jdXUf8L1E2EHRpt26lig2O22G3=w509-h903-no?authuser=0.jpg
1639004097778.png

How didja do dat?
Rear brake job on a Bounder motorhome. The hub/rotor assembly slipped off the end of the axle housing and caught 3 fingers between the inside of the rotor and the threaded housing. I had been balancing the assembly at an angle draining off the gear oil, when I went to lift it off the axle it slipped right as I grabbed the bottom side. In a different pic I have you can see where the threads left impressions in the fingernail.

My steel wheels are nearing the end of their life. It’s getting extremely difficult to balance them. Especially with the 16” rotors packed inside limiting where I can place stickies. Every wheel is bent now.

My long term solution:
I want beadlocks. I have to balance my tires every couple of wheeling trips and it’s getting ridiculous. I am worried there will be no more 15” wheel tire choices in the future so I may be pushed into 17” wheels. My clever idea is to get some 17” beadlocks in 5x5.5” with lots of backspacing and use an adapter. What this does is give me the freedom to move to the big hub kit in the future if I start breaking my small hubs. This also gives me the freedom to use them for 37s or 40s in the future on bigger axles whether that be in this Jeep or most likely a buggy. I don’t like buying twice.

Short term solution:
I don’t want to buy new tires right now to fit the 17s so I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for some cheap used 15” aluminum wheels that will hopefully balance better. If anyone has a set they would like to get rid of let me know!

My steel wheels are nearing the end of their life. It’s getting extremely difficult to balance them. Especially with the 16” rotors packed inside limiting where I can place stickies. Every wheel is bent now.

My long term solution:
I want beadlocks. I have to balance my tires every couple of wheeling trips and it’s getting ridiculous. I am worried there will be no more 15” wheel tire choices in the future so I may be pushed into 17” wheels. My clever idea is to get some 17” beadlocks in 5x5.5” with lots of backspacing and use an adapter. What this does is give me the freedom to move to the big hub kit in the future if I start breaking my small hubs. This also gives me the freedom to use them for 37s or 40s in the future on bigger axles whether that be in this Jeep or most likely a buggy. I don’t like buying twice.

Short term solution:
I don’t want to buy new tires right now to fit the 17s so I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for some cheap used 15” aluminum wheels that will hopefully balance better. If anyone has a set they would like to get rid of let me know!
I wouldn't be happy being forced to run a spacer on 37's to deal with the excess backspacing.

I am worried there will be no more 15” wheel tire choices in the future so I may be pushed into 17” wheels.

Ive been a little worried about this too, Ive been eyeballing the racelines again but just cant bring myself to spend that amount of dough.

Reactions: starkey480

My long term solution:

Short term solution:
Just throwing an idea out there, but maybe go with a 5x5 adapter for the wheels. The wheels are easier to find and every TJ, jk, JL, and jt can swap with your if you need to borrow it loan a spare. If you upgrade to JL it JK Rubicon axles in the future, your all set.

You can pick up quadratec wheels pretty cheap in 17" sizes.

PXL_20210821_210457457.jpg

All we need is one decent company to make 2-3 different alloy wheels in "classic TJ" styling in 17" x 8.5", with 3.75-4" of backspacing...

I feel like this would be a no brainer for wheel manufacturers 🤷‍♂️

All we need is one decent company to make 2-3 different alloy wheels in "classic TJ" styling in 17" x 8.5", with 3.75-4" of backspacing...

I feel like this would be a no brainer for wheel manufacturers 🤷‍♂️
Couple that with a better assortment of 17" "C" tires and we're good! ;)

Reactions: pc1p and starkey480
Just throwing an idea out there, but maybe go with a 5x5 adapter for the wheels. The wheels are easier to find and every TJ, jk, JL, and jt can swap with your if you need to borrow it loan a spare. If you upgrade to JL it JK Rubicon axles in the future, your all set.

View attachment 295526
I’ve been considering this as well! I’ve thought about getting some cheap JK wheels and throwing coyote internal beadlocks in there. Too many strategies, I’m getting bogged down in paralysis by analysis lol. 5x5.5 could be used with Dana 60s in the future if I go full retard buggy build which is why I was thinking that way. The problem is I know what I want in the future but I don’t know what I will realistically be able to afford lol.

Reactions: tworley and kmas0n

My long term solution:

Short term solution:
As long as they manufacture the 15” tire you want to run, I think you’re good. How long will 15’s be around? 12’s are pretty much gone, 13’s are almost gone, 14’s are almost gone, 16’s will go away before 15’s, then 15’s will go. I don’t know any off-road car manufacturer that is producing their rigs with a 15” tire. Time will tell the story, but selection is decreasing and if the trend continues probably in 10-15 years the 15’s will be gone.

Out of interest, I found threads on other forums where 15’s going away was being discussed in 2011 and 2015.

View attachment 295526
Aren’t stock TJ/LJ wheels 5 on 4 1/2?

Reactions: 5632 and Apparition
As long as they manufacture the 15” tire you want to run, I think you’re good. How long will 15’s be around? 12’s are pretty much gone, 13’s are almost gone, 14’s are almost gone, 16’s will go away before 15’s, then 15’s will go. I don’t know any off-road car manufacturer that is producing their rigs with a 15” tire. Time will tell the story, but selection is decreasing and if the trend continues probably in 10-15 years the 15’s will be gone.

Out of interest, I found threads on other forums where 15’s going away was being discussed in 2011 and 2015.
The MTR 15” is gone and that was my tire of choice. I’ll stick with 15s if someone knows of a comparable rock crawling tire in a 35x12.5x15

Reactions: tworley