At what RPM should I be shifting after re-gearing?

diggerwolf

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Still getting familiar with my like-new TJ after regearing from 3.07 to 4.56. I get into 5th a lot faster than before.

At what RPM should I be shifting? I've always shifted by feel but what is the textbook answer?

2005 4.0 NSG370 33s 2" lift

Still getting familiar with my like-new TJ after regearing from 3.07 to 4.56. I get into 5th a lot faster than before.

At what RPM should I be shifting?
Whenever you feel like it. Depends on the terrain (flat, hills).
p.s. Don't you have the shift light that tells you when to? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC
I think it’s good visual to see the chart- maybe someone has some mor’betta than this. But there is a sweet spot in the 2600-3600 range that this engine likes- good place to hang out in when I am motoring around town Or just a downshift away from the sweet spot.

1675881156519.gif

w

• Haha
Reactions: Deputy Dodge
I'm pretty much a 3500-4000 rpm shifter. When I regear that may go a tad higher so that I'm not shifting sooner than I was before. It really just depends but I like to wind it out again. If you shift at 2000 rpm after the regear, it hardly feels like a huge improvement because you're barely feeling the change.

When the throttle starts to get overly sensitive or in most cases when the engine gets louder than I want, most of the time this is around the 2800-3200 mark

It also depends on what I’m planning on doing in the next 1,000 yards. Stopping, turning, about to floor it for an on ramp, I’m gonna cruise at this speed for hours…. So on and so forth stuff that an automatic could never really “know”

Make sure to ignore anyone who tells you to shift at 2000 RPM :LOL:

I always liked shifting around 3000 RPM, sometimes higher depending on the situation.

At what RPM should I be shifting? I've always shifted by feel but what is the textbook answer?

2005 4.0 NSG370 33s 2" lift

12,000 rpm,because why not!

This is one of those opinion vs asshole questions... everyone has one, they all stink.

I'm in the boat that it all depends on your comfort, vs the situation needing the result. Accelerating onto highway, I'll shift at higher points. Getting into a cruise, I'll shift lower. I know that my TJ will maintain speeds without much throttle playing in 5th gear around town, ~1250 rpm. On the highway, I can keep it in 6th from 60mph and up, and am able to pull most grades here without needing to downshift.

and a brake light to tell us when to brake :D

Get a Tesla if you want all that junk. And a quick death.

I used to shift at 1800-2000 when taking it easy. Had to practice a lot to break the habit. Now it's to the rev limiter or valve float every time. Why is my engine making all that noise?

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC
it would be cool if the factory included a shift light that told us when to shift

I hate that little arrow. :mad: If it acted like an actual racing style shift light, then maybe it'd get a pass.

• Haha
Reactions: L J
I hate that little arrow. :mad: If it acted like an actual racing style shift light, then maybe it'd get a pass.

..... I think it does "blink" just before fuel cut - I'm always a little to busy driving to actually see the thing. the rest of the time its just annoying, especially w/ 3.07's