Austin's 98 TJ

A cousin of mine has been after me to go there with him. IDK if a short trail is worth a 2-hour drive.

I do know that I want to run Hurricane Creek trail soon, but that's a little further west.

I’d love to do Hurricane Creek. Looks like a beautiful area. Reminds me of back home in WV.

Last time I checked, I think there was only one trail for Jeeps/trucks and it wasn’t very long.

Maybe it’s a little longer trail than I remembered, and looks like one trail and part of another. I wonder if anyone else on this site has been there to give more details? Also, the first pic says part of trail 1, but I wonder which part? There are two #1 trails on the map, but I’m assuming Jeeps would use the #1 that is NOT a bold black line since it matches the #8 tail on the map.

IMG_6918.jpeg

IMG_6919.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman and BlueC
Maybe it’s a little longer trail than I remembered, and looks like one trail and part of another. I wonder if anyone else on this site has been there to give more details? Also, the first pic says part of trail 1, but I wonder which part? There are two #1 trails on the map, but I’m assuming Jeeps would use the #1 that is NOT a bold black line since it matches the #8 tail on the map.

View attachment 440991

View attachment 440992

Yeah… I don’t know. The mountain house is only 30ish minutes away from there, I’ll probably end up there sometime.

I replaced all my old speakers that the PO put in with new ones.

Old:
- Rockford fosgate 4” in dash
- Rockford fosgate 5.25” in sound bar
New:
- Polk DB522 5.25” in dash
- Polk DB622 6.5” in sound bar
- Spliced in Alpine .75” tweeters above dash

I also put Noico soundproofing sheets all around the new dash speakers as well as poly-fil in the sound bar since it wasn’t there before.

The sound quality is way better than before, and will get much louder as well which I wanted for the highway.

I’ll try to get my Rockville RW10CA 10” powered sub in on Wednesday. Can’t wait for that!

IMG_8004.jpeg

IMG_8005.jpeg

IMG_8007.jpeg

IMG_8010.jpeg

Other pictures to come later.

The recommended wiring kit for the sub was quite difficult to get installed just because it was barely long enough to get to the sub from the head unit and battery - at least in the way that I decided to route it. The ground wire also gave me some trouble finding a place to mount it. Maybe there was a better way. Drilling the hole in the firewall also gave me a lot of trouble because the only drill bit that I had that was the right size was like 10 inches long and I couldn’t easily fit my drill under the dash with it…

IMG_8019.jpeg

Then I had to put a restraint strap on the tailgate so it doesn’t swing too far and pull out the wires. I drilled some holes and did that. I decided to try and clean up all the wires. I suprised myself with that. I’m not usually good with stuff like this, but I’m super happy with how it turned out.

IMG_8020.jpeg

And I love the sub, it sounds amazing. I have it turned almost all the way down just because it’s so loud and I don’t like that much bass. I’m excited to see how it does on the highway.

Just as a bit of an update - I used the speakers and the sub for the first time on the highway today. I could hear both at 75 mph with only half doors on, so that’s successful. Really the whole goal of this project in the first place.

Reactions: JMT and tworley
CEL randomly came on today when driving home from work. Decided to take it to the autozone nearby to borrow a code reader and when I turned the car on again, CEL was gone. Kinda annoying…

Glad to see you out there using the Jeep what it's designed for! You're doing it right.

Envious that you have these trails within a short drive. ;)

Glad to see you out there using the Jeep what it's designed for! You're doing it right.

Envious that you have these trails within a short drive. ;)

I’m enjoying it! These trails are just old logging roads and forest service roads that my family has cleared out over the years, but a blast to drive on!

Reactions: FarFire70
I’m enjoying it! These trails are just old logging roads and forest service roads that my family has cleared out over the years, but a blast to drive on!

I was about to ask if it was private or public land.