Austin's 98 TJ

I was about to ask if it was private or public land.

It's kind of interesting, my family has a mountain house and the neighborhood that it's in has this dirt road that goes back up a mountain on neighborhood property. After maybe 3/4 of a mile, it turns into national forest and branches off in quite a few ways with even more connecting to logging roads that are crazy overgrown. It was made by the local volunteer fire department 10+ years ago when there were some crazy wildfires in the area.

My family enjoyed using it and hiked all over the place on it until my dad bought his JK. I remember being 7 or 8 years old and backpacking on the logging roads back there before we had a house. Once my dad got the jeep, we started doing a ton of work clearing it all so that we could drive it. We eventually discovered a really cool creek back there and since we could drive farther and faster than we could walk, we found a really cool view on top of some rocks almost 5 miles up these roads. I found a cool little rock climbing bouldering area recently (that's my big thing, I go climbing 3-4 times a week). There's also a random pond on top of the mountain way up there.

Eventually, some neighbors started taking side by sides and four-wheelers on it and it became pretty established on some of the main parts. Was the first place my TJ went offroad. Now the neighborhood owners just sold all of that property to a couple who put a gate on the road. They'll build a house sometime soon and didn't want to hear the side by sides flying up there to get to national forest. My mom made friends with them and got us the gate code so it's fun to still drive it once in a while and go explore the national forest area of it. Just can't do anymore work on the private area since someone owns it now. Obviously want to be respectful of them and their land as well. I know no one asked for all that info but thought it would be interesting to share... kind of a cool story.

My throwout bearing decided to give up a few days ago in my school parking lot of all places - quite embarrassing! My dad towed me home, and I took it all apart.

IMG-8151.jpg

IMG-8149.jpg

IMG-8144.jpg

Interestingly enough, the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel all looked to be in very good condition. When I pulled the transmission though, the throwout bearing just fell apart. I put in a new National bearing and everything else was replaced with Luk stuff. It overall went very smoothly, just took a while.

IMG-8168.jpg

IMG-8169.jpg

IMG-8190.jpg

Considering I only have one small floor jack, though, I was very pleased with how quickly I put it all back together. A couple of ratchet straps, a whole bunch of blocks of wood, and a little dolly thingy I made with some random wheels I found in the garage and a piece of wood helped with that. I was practically done when I managed to break the last bolt I was tightening - one of the transmission to skid bolts. So ill replace that sometime soon I guess. I also tore my inner shifter boot while taking the shifter out of the transmission so ill need to buy another one of those. The clutch is now a million times easier to push in than it used to be. It never really bothered me, but I do have to admit that I like this a whole lot more.

Some people leave the transfercase on for this job. But i always pull it off since it makes manuevering the trans so much easier. Regardless,good job!

When I did the clutch in mine...I left the T-case on when I removed the trans. I quickly saw the error in that...and when it went back together, it went back in two pieces. The 231 is heavy...and the 241 is even heavier!

You are certainly getting some great experience wrenching on the rig. Nice work.
Thanks! Having so much fun doing it!

Some people leave the transfercase on for this job. But i always pull it off since it makes manuevering the trans so much easier. Regardless,good job!
When I did the clutch in mine...I left the T-case on when I removed the trans. I quickly saw the error in that...and when it went back together, it went back in two pieces. The 231 is heavy...and the 241 is even heavier!

I just decided to leave it on... figured that if I'm doing it all by myself without the proper jack, its gonna be difficult either way, might as well just leave it. I was extremely excited and surprised when I got the transmission to line up and slide on the night before the day that I had planned to work on that. I thought it would be a 3-4 hour thing just getting it on right. Made the following morning much much less stressful and much easier! I don't know if that was the right choice in terms of efficiency/effort, but the whole project was not quite as annoying and frustrating as I thought it would be, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
I really like how you made your own doors. Your welds came out good. I'd like to offer some advice if you don't mind.

With pipe its always good practice to put a bevel the joint so you can get complete joint penetration. CJP is especially necessary if you're going to blend your welds smooth. When you do blend your welds make sure you don't remove too much base metal especially in the heat affected zone which weakens the joint and can create a stress riser. Remember too that paint will make discontinuities more visible instead of hidden. That looks like a complicated design and you did a good job preventing heat distortion. You should be proud of yourself for taking on that challenge while still in welding classes.

1704210623862.png

I really like how you made your own doors. Your welds came out good. I'd like to offer some advice if you don't mind.

With pipe its always good practice to put a bevel the joint so you can get complete joint penetration. CJP is especially necessary if you're going to blend your welds smooth. When you do blend your welds make sure you don't remove too much base metal especially in the heat affected zone which weakens the joint and can create a stress riser. Remember too that paint will make discontinuities more visible instead of hidden. That looks like a complicated design and you did a good job preventing heat distortion. You should be proud of yourself for taking on that challenge while still in welding classes.

View attachment 487437

Thanks so much and thanks for the advice! I'll of course keep that in mind in the future. It was definitely a learning experience and a really good challenge with my limited knowledge and extremely limited tools... I'm super happy with how they came out, but of course they aren't anywhere near perfect!

I’ve been chasing the reason of my broken cruise control since I got the jeep. Finally found it a couple days ago (I’m slightly embarrassed by how obvious it was) and replaced it today with a junkyard CC. Now it all works!

IMG_8990.jpeg

Reactions: tworley
Not my Jeep, but my one of my friends I’ve known since I was like 2 years old just bought a 75th anniversary edition JK. Spent 5 hours yesterday teaching him how to drive it since it’s a manual. Ton of fun, he’s super excited about it. I can’t wait to see what he wants to do with it. That probably won’t be a ton, he’s not at all mechanically inclined… he knows that and that’s partially why he decided to get a newer Jeep, but he does want to learn, so I’m excited to help him out. He also asked me to make some tube doors for him sometime soon, so that should be fun.

IMG_9045.jpeg

IMG_9046.jpeg

As for my Jeep, there’s a knocking sound somewhere in the steering so I’ll try to figure that out today. I really hope it’s not the steering box - I just replaced that a couple months ago. I’ve also got another project I’ve been working on which I’ll post pics of soon…

Edit - the sound was just a loose track bar bolt. Easy fix!

Last edited: