Auto to manual swap crank position sensor

Ryan_Brockel

I have a 1999 4.0 jeep tj sport with the 32rh. i have now swapped everything out for a 1995 ax15 transmission. everything is bolted up perfectly fine and i am running into a crankshaft position sensor issue. I bought a new sensor for it and it will fire for about 1 second before immediately dying on me. i have the auto pcm currently in and i’ve been reading that you don’t need to replace it but there will be a CEL. i have wired up the NSS so it turns over and everything but the crank position sensor just wont allow it to fully start

It’s been basically shutting down or a brief hard stall. I also have the DTC. Yesterday it shut down and wouldn’t start. I unplugged the sensor and reconnected and it started.

It’s been gradually worsening for a few weeks. 89k on the clock so…
What DTC? Have you replaced your crankshaft position sensor yet?

i have the auto pcm currently in and i’ve been reading that you don’t need to replace it but there will be a CEL.

The CEL is related to the fact that you no longer have a TCC lockup, it won't be the cause of a no-start/quick die.

I'm wondering if you have your CKS aligned just right. If it starts up that means enough stuff was in place to make the the ASD stay closed. But that it quickly dies makes me think that the CKS doesn't like the timing or something.

I've never done a manual/auto swap, but do you need to time the flywheel when you install it? There are windows on the flywheel that the CKS is looking for; if those are in the wrong place I can see it giving you trouble. Or maybe the flywheel is keyed and it's not a problem? IDK. On the other hand, you probably tugged on a lot of wires in the process, I'd check the cam position sensor as well. The CKS & CPS do basically the same thing and have to be correct relative to one another.