Axle pulled out

Jt223

What did I do wrong? 3 days ago I replaced me rear axle seal and bearing. Last night as I was pulling into a parking spot at work my axle came undone. The retainer plate basically pulled off everything that was pressed on my axle. Left it all in the tube. I pressed everything on the correct direction, and I pressed it on as far as it could get to that lip with a 20 ton press. I also pressed them on individually so I could make sure each piece was going on straight and seated properly.
It's a dana 44 rear axle.
I didn't have any parts or bolts or anything sitting around afterwards. I'm a novice for sure so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on some glaring step I missed. Thanks. Sorry in advance for whatever step I missed. I dont ever want my doing my own work to endanger anyone on the road. I really did spend hours and hours researching this project to do it right.

20211027_174040.jpg

20211027_172549.jpg

20211027_175245.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
What did I do wrong? 3 days ago I replaced me rear axle seal and bearing. Last night as I was pulling into a parking spot at work my axle came undone. The retainer plate basically pulled off everything that was pressed on my axle. Left it all in the tube. I pressed everything on the correct direction, and I pressed it on as far as it could get to that lip with a 20 ton press. I also pressed them on individually so I could make sure each piece was going on straight and seated properly.
It's a dana 44 rear axle.
I didn't have any parts or bolts or anything sitting around afterwards. I'm a novice for sure so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on some glaring step I missed. Thanks. Sorry in advance for whatever step I missed. I dont ever want my doing my own work to endanger anyone on the road. I really did spend hours and hours researching this project to do it right.

View attachment 286837

View attachment 286838

View attachment 286840
Where is the shaft collar that holds the bearing onto the shaft? Did you install a new one below the bearing?

Same question here. It's hard to tell if there was a retaining ring, before the bearing. That helps hold everything in place. Not my picture, but should help.

Dana 44-11-1.jpg

Where is the shaft collar that holds the bearing onto the shaft? Did you install a new one below the bearing?
I did install a new bearing retainer and new exterior retaining plate as well. I made sure I pressed the bearing and bearing retainer on separate so that they both seated properly. And im very convinced they were seated. But that doesn't mean I'm right 😅

Oh, also I made sure I had the correct exterior retaining plate for my break set up because I could see that being a problem. I have drum breaks so I used the flat exterior retaining plate.

I did install a new bearing retainer and new exterior retaining plate as well. I made sure I pressed the bearing and bearing retainer on separate so that they both seated properly. And im very convinced they were seated. But that doesn't mean I'm right 😅
Well, then what likely happened is the sharp edge where the axle shaft transitioned to the retainer journal peeled out a big chunk from the inside of the retainer which destroyed the interference fit. Or you were given a defective bearing retainer. The color of the seal leads me to think it was something from Crown or similar and not one of the better brands.

You will need a new bearing set and seal with retainer. Before you press it on, ease that sharp edge so it won't peel out the inside of the retainer. They are correct when they all butt up. You likely got it right but that isn't the problem.

Oh, also I made sure I had the correct exterior retaining plate for my break set up because I could see that being a problem. I have drum breaks so I used the flat exterior retaining plate.
It would not have gone together on the axle very well with the disc brake retainer so that isn't the issue.

Well, then what likely happened is the sharp edge where the axle shaft transitioned to the retainer journal peeled out a big chunk from the inside of the retainer which destroyed the interference fit. Or you were given a defective bearing retainer. The color of the seal leads me to think it was something from Crown or similar and not one of the better brands.

You will need a new bearing set and seal with retainer. Before you press it on, ease that sharp edge so it won't peel out the inside of the retainer. They are correct when they all butt up. You likely got it right but that isn't the problem.
I really appreciate that insight. You are correct, it was from crown... ill order a better set this time. In the mean time I was lucky enough to have a backup axle with everything pressed on, which I threw on last night. It will get me by until I can order a better set. I'll ease that edge and go slow and steady when pressing again to make sure it goes on straight.

How difficult was it to press on? Did they send the right part?
They pressed on similar to what it looked like in all the videos I watched online. I have a 20 ton press and the bearing retainer definitely was tight. The bearing was less tight but by no means did it just slide on.
I was wondering about tolerances as well... if that had anything to do with it. But I just don't think they felt bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford