Bank 2 o2 sensor removal

AaronPaul

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone have any tricks. It's not necessarily getting them off, I think I can do that. Its working in such a cramped space. I have a 2000 TJ 4.0, one of the bank 2 sensors is in a very tight spot by the oil pan and transmission (manual) hardly any space. I am using the special socket already but having a hard time getting any torque on it due to the tight space. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you

I just replaced all 4 on my 06 two weeks ago and all I did was lay underneath it and use a combination wrench with no problems. I did disconnect the wires before I removed them. Hope this helps.

Reactions: AaronPaul
To get them off best thing to do is cut the wires and use a box wrench. If they are froze the sensor tool will just strip them. Hit them with some Kroil or PB blaster a couple days before. Also have a thread chaser available. All 4 of mine new ones wouldn't thread in without chasing the threads first

To get them off best thing to do is cut the wires and use a box wrench. If they are froze the sensor tool will just strip them.
Absolutely, an O2 socket with a slot for the O2 sensor wiring is not strong enough to remove them, it's for installing new O2 sensors. My preferred tool for removing an O2 sensor is the box-end side of a combination open-end/box-end wrench. Cut the old O2 sensor's wiring off first.

Forgot to mention...heat them up pretty good too. Run the engine or use a torch. Put on a good glove so you don't get burned.