Banks Sidewinder Turbo Issue with 06' TJ

Hi,

I am still working on my problem but I don't think it is tune related but rather a timing chain issue. Seems for some reason the 4.0 L with superchargers and turbos don't like loose timing chains. The PCM will only allow 2.6 degrees of timing misalignment between the crank and cam position sensors, anymore and the PCM pulls fuel and or timing. Since I have custom time my jeep only gets fuel pulled.

Occasionally I get codes that the either the cam position sensor is bad, which it is not, or that the crank and cam are out of sync. The only way these codes can coming up is if the cam chain is stretched. I will post it the timing chain solves the problem

I'm not getting those codes though. No CEL at all.

That does make sense for you though, if it's throwing a code for crank/camshaft position it cuts fuel at anything above 2500 rpm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill M.
Hi,

I am still working on my problem but I don't think it is tune related but rather a timing chain issue. Seems for some reason the 4.0 L with superchargers and turbos don't like loose timing chains. The PCM will only allow 2.6 degrees of timing misalignment between the crank and cam position sensors, anymore and the PCM pulls fuel and or timing. Since I have custom time my jeep only gets fuel pulled.

Occasionally I get codes that the either the cam position sensor is bad, which it is not, or that the crank and cam are out of sync. The only way these codes can coming up is if the cam chain is stretched. I will post it the timing chain solves the problem

Any update regarding your issue?

Seems like my rig came has had fuel consumptions issues for a hot minute now. Damn thing is getting 8mpg on 35’s with 4.88 gears... get a feeling it’s only under boost that the rig runs rich. Thought it was another tuning issue since my original tune made my TJ misfire but when Banks looked over my logs they didn’t see a thing. Going to attempt looking it over one more time before I give Banks a call to find another solution since I’ve only had consistent issues with it.

Seems like my rig came has had fuel consumptions issues for a hot minute now. Damn thing is getting 8mpg on 35’s with 4.88 gears... get a feeling it’s only under boost that the rig runs rich. Thought it was another tuning issue since my original tune made my TJ misfire but when Banks looked over my logs they didn’t see a thing. Going to attempt looking it over one more time before I give Banks a call to find another solution since I’ve only had consistent issues with it.
Do you have the original PCM or one of the "rebuilt" aftermarket PCMs? Reason I ask is because most of the "rebuilt" PCMs are not custom tunable.

I would suggest you get a wideband AFR meter if you don't already have one. Only then do know what your mixture is doing. Additionally a scanner that gives live feed info is helpful. My Banks tune will run a 14.7 afr under 35 calculated load and then quickly richens the mixture to 10.4 as the load increases. I am currently getting between 12.5 and 13.1 mpg with combined city and hwy with 35's and 4.10 gears.

Was your speedometer adjusted after going to 35’s? If not, your mileage is better than you think.

I thought I had bad mileage (10.5 around town). Could be worse I guess.

What felt like forever, I manage to get this fixed. Seems like where the cut between the mini cats and new exhaust pipe provided by banks had a rather large boost leak. Bought/ had the exhaust clamp molded to fit and actually seal the exhaust escaping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel City 06
What felt like forever, I manage to get this fixed. Seems like where the cut between the mini cats and new exhaust pipe provided by banks had a rather large boost leak under boost. Bought/ had the exhaust clamp molded to fit and actually seal the exhaust escaping.

I had that joint welded up as well as the clamped joint in front of the rear cat. I did it because of CO in the cabin. It didn’t affect mileage.

I'm sure this won't make anyone feel better but I have a very similar issue with mine. I have the Turbo & Intercooler Setup on a 2006 TJ Rubicon 6MT w/ 49,000miles and was all original when I put the kit on. It threw a P0304 cylinder 4 misfire, about 2 weeks after install back in March 2018. Fought with it for a while back then, then had the turbo go about around a month after install. The bypass butterfly valve stuck closed, so it was boosting to 12-14psi. I don't know about you guys, but my turbo, in particular the bypass valve is very loud. You can here it modulating open and closed when you go up and down hills, even before it loads up enough to build positive boost. To me it sounds like a boost leak, but I have looked everywhere, and there is no leak.

Back to the misfire.

It has been throwing the code ever since install, it has developed an intermittent rough idle where it will die. When it does this, you can see the harmonic balancer moving a lot.

I verified engine compression, all good.
I installed the DEI fuel rail, and injector insulation, and new reflector insulation piece.
I have gotten the new tune from Banks, no difference.
Checked for vacuum leaks, no difference.
Pulled the exhaust header to turbo, verified no leaks, still have CEL.
Replaced the plugs with regular old copper plugs, no difference.
Put platinums plugs in, no difference.
Replaced coil pack, no difference.
Replaced crank sensor, no difference.
Verified crank and cam are in sync.
Put new flywheel and clutch in, (were concerned the flywheel might be warped affecting crank sensor)

We've hooked up a Snap-On scanner tool, and noticed that cylinder 4 has an intermittent misfire about 2 every 10 seconds, but when it rough idles, its cylinder 1 that completely checks out, and misfires 10-14times within about 10 seconds. If you blip the throttle it will clear itself and go back to normal idle. If you leave it alone it will die within about 10 seconds.

I have noticed that the intercooler uses some coolant. I'm not sure whether that's normal or not.

I'm starting to look down the barrel of pulling the kit back off, unless some wise sole out there has an idea I haven't thought of yet.

I have a Banks Turbo setup on a 2006 LJ with an auto. It went through 2 owners before me that could not get it to run right. Took me a year to finally get all the bugs worked out. Turned out it had nothing to do with Banks turbo but was a combination of a bad PCM, OPDA timing, vacuum leaks and none Mopar cam/crank position and O2 sensors not playing well with the PCM. My intercooler will use maybe a ounce of fluid every 6 months.

Today the LJ is my DD and I love it, makes tons of trouble free power, gets good mileage and the noise of the blowout valve never gets old. 2005/2006 TJ/LJ can be frustrating but once you get them worked out they are truely a joy to own.

I guess I was lucky. Mine has worked perfectly from day one. It took me a long time to get all of the air out of the intercooler plumbing but it hasn’t taken any more coolant now for a year or so.

Going to double check fuel pressure but should still be solid. Injectors are new and didn’t leak during the install and once again checking after the issues have risen. And yes, I pulled the cats a second time thinking I may have busted one while testing it but they checjed out. I’m leaning towards an issue with the tune/pcm not working well with one another.
What type of injectors did you use? The new injectors need to be high pressure 40lbs min. The stock fuel pump is sufficient to pressurize these injectors.

Hi,

I was able to fix my issue that I traced to an ignition issue. Smooth acceleration through 4500rpm. Installed a RIPP coil from K Suspension @ http://www.ksuspensionfab.com
Noticeable increased power and possible might improvement. I'll do a post of install later.