Barnes or Rough Country belly up skid plate?

If would be interesting to understand why Jeep couldn't have made their skid more like that.

I'll let you know if I face any hurdles when I get it installed. I should only new a 0.5" change from factory with my baby body lift.

Everything is included, as is the transmission mount. The cm is secured with a pair of mounts that wrap around the frame rails. No welding required.

Once I got the tub clearanced and cut a few knobs off of the 241, I have very few vibrations from the stuffed tcase. It does happen when the Jeep is twisted up just right, but it is exceedingly rare on the street. This is where I argue for the Savvy body lift. My JKS does not give me a full 1.25". That extra fraction that the aluminum Savvy pucks give would reduce that even further.
Thanks for the explanation. So I'm at the position where I have the 1"MML and the 1.25" Savvy BL already installed. With this setup on my 6-speed my TCase is so angled toward the rear of the Jeep that I had to do a fairly involved work-around with the shifter and console in my 05 to solve the shifter leaning back problem. A TT is the ultimate solution to raise that TCase back up where it should be. I am still on stock CA's and was hoping when I do the SYE and DC to just do the rear uppers to adjust my pinion. Is that correct and is there anything else I would need to do to successfully install the Savvy CM and TCase Skid? I'm assuming some messing with the exhaust might be needed when I'm there

Reactions: derekmac
So I'm at the position where I have the 1"MML and the 1.25" Savvy BL already installed. With this setup on my 6-speed my TCase is so angled toward the rear of the Jeep that I had to do a fairly involved work-around with the shifter and console in my 05 to solve the shifter leaning back problem.
@JMT I'm getting ready to add the same to my 05 6spd. Did you happen to document what you needed to do to the console?

SYE, shaft, arms. My recollection is that the Savvy raises the output nearly 3". With respect to the drive shaft, this is no different than adding spring lift.

You'll need a t case cable shifter, though I have read of one or two instances where one was not used.

I did a couple things to the console to allow for the stick shift after the BL and MML years earlier. After the tummy tuck, things seem to be close to where it all started. But with any involved modification, like a tummy tuck, not everything can be foreseen and you will have to figure some things out.

SYE, shaft, arms. My recollection is that the Savvy raises the output nearly 3". With respect to the drive shaft, this is no different than adding spring lift.

You'll need a t case cable shifter, though I have read of one or two instances where one was not used.

I did a couple things to the console to allow for the stick shift after the BL and MML years earlier. After the tummy tuck, things seem to be close to where it all started. But with any involved modification, like a tummy tuck, not everything can be foreseen and you will have to figure some things out.
I already have the Savvy TCase shifter too, so I'm good there. Looks like my plans are working out. I was looking hard at UCF and pretty much decided, but for not much more I could do the Savvy and get a crossmember, which I see as invaluable when removing the skid. I"m also glad to know that my thoughts that a TT are the solution to the stick shifter are on the right track. Just for clarity, when you say I need "arms," you mean upper and lower rear? I was hoping to get away with upper only. Thanks for your insight and clarity...

Reactions: JeepZilla380
... Just for clarity, when you say I need "arms," you mean upper and lower rear? I was hoping to get away with upper only. Thanks for your insight and clarity...

Others should comment with their experiences. I never ran my skid without adjustable uppers and lowers or less than 4" of spring. I am suspicious that the axle can be fully positioned and rotated with only adjustable uppers. But people do get away with it. However, the more "lift" the drive shaft experiences, the more important adjustable lowers become.

For anyone considering this, these are all relevant concerns for any raised belly skid. There are many moving and shifting variables at play. It is important to understand what is going on, what to look for, and know how to adjust and adapt. Tummy tucks can be fussy and difficult, but the results are always worth it.

but the results are always worth it.
As your pic on that hump suggests. Yes, I'm suspicious too, and I'm always leary of what changes I'm making over here are affecting something over there. I've had to learn this the hard way, but fortunately without much consequence so far .his could be different. I better get under the Jeep some more, think things through. Thanks again.

That hump picture is funny to me. It doesn't look like much unless you understand what is going on. :)

I ran stock lowers with adjustable uppers for a spell, but I'm only on 3" of lift and no TT yet. Depending on how much you need to raise the pinion, you may run out of adjustment on the uppers, so having adjustable lowers could help compensate, within reason of course.

Reactions: JMT
Everything is included, as is the transmission mount. The cm is secured with a pair of mounts that wrap around the frame rails. No welding required.

Once I got the tub clearanced and cut a few knobs off of the 241, I have very few vibrations from the stuffed tcase. It does happen when the Jeep is twisted up just right, but it is exceedingly rare on the street. This is where I argue for the Savvy body lift. My JKS does not give me a full 1.25". That extra fraction that the aluminum Savvy pucks give would reduce that even further.

Savvy seems to lead most TT conversations with Rokmen, Barnes and UCF in the conversations along the way. I would have loved to have gone Savvy with a cross member, but also didn't want to run into clearance / Cutting issues, and I am pulling this off with as small a budget as possible. I have a buddy with a shop helping me install, but really wanted to try and make this as plug and play as possible. Having that same shop and access to a lift also means I have easier ways of supporting the transmission when I need to work on my LJ. That being said, I expect to still run into some issues along the way fitting the UCF skid with the 241TC.

Reactions: JMT
Since we are talking Savvy...
AP3.jpg
AP4.jpg

20160515_142531.jpg
20160515_145841.jpg

ok so I just ordered the rough country high clearance skid plate. I just have to try it out and I can return it if I dont like it. (made sure of that). I dont like the bolts sticking out the bottom of the Barnes. also Ebay had a 15 percent off tonight so i took advantage of that and free shipping. It will give me an extra 2.5 inches of clearance over stock skid and comes with all the bolts for the job.
thanks for all your comments and pictures they were all great. Ill surly give my opinion once I get it installed. oh yea i wont have to move the muffler i dont think and my transfer case shifter will be back closer to oem location.

ok so I just ordered the rough country high clearance skid plate. I just have to try it out and I can return it if I dont like it. (made sure of that). I dont like the bolts sticking out the bottom of the Barnes. also Ebay had a 15 percent off tonight so i took advantage of that and free shipping. It will give me an extra 2.5 inches of clearance over stock skid and comes with all the bolts for the job.
thanks for all your comments and pictures they were all great. Ill surly give my opinion once I get it installed. oh yea i wont have to move the muffler i dont think and my transfer case shifter will be back closer to oem location.

Take pictures of the install, cause we love pictures. I coulda got a great deal on a RC skid, debated it for a few, then went the route I'm going, but curious to see how it looks and what your impressions are.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee

For the price and the clearance gained that seems like a good choice.