Basket's Build

I had a zipper issue on my Rampage this morning as well. Putting the top on for the trip out to Moab, I pulled down the passenger side rear window zipper and pulled it right off the end.... %&^&@. Turns out the little plastic piece at the bottom of the zipper which keeps that from happening broke off. So, I pulled out my canvass sewing kit and sewed in a stop to replace the plastic piece. Good as new.

Broken zipper: 0
NashvilleTJ: 1

:)
Nice!!! Glad it was fixable. Guess that's what we get for not spending 15x more for Besttop...

So... do the windows get easier to replace after it's been on for a while? I was excited to run no side windows but if it's always going to be that hard to get them back on I'm not sure how bad I want to do that now
It gets easier, but similar to @NashvilleTJ 's comment I had a bunch of issues with zippers across my rampage top. Though I already have one on my bestop - so it seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.

• Sad
Reactions: lBasket
So... do the windows get easier to replace after it's been on for a while? I was excited to run no side windows but if it's always going to be that hard to get them back on I'm not sure how bad I want to do that now

All the tops I had the windows were pretty easy to take out and put in other than it was fun trying to get everything lined up.

But I had BestTop also. Keep your eyes open on Market Place and Craigslist as that was how I found my last Sunrider top for $300.

• Sad
Those zippers are a pain to get zipped so I can only hope they will be happy to oblige when I try to unzip them

Did you soap them up? Unzip them 90% of the way and then rub the soap on the inside of the zipper & then both inner and outer. It really makes a difference.

Nice!!! Glad it was fixable. Guess that's what we get for not spending 15x more for Besttop...
Not a $ thing for me - I actually prefer the Rampage over the Besttop. I'm not a fan of all the extra hardware for the sunrider, and it just works better for my particular use case.

Damn those zippers though...

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Did you soap them up? Unzip them 90% of the way and then rub the soap on the inside of the zipper & then both inner and outer. It really makes a difference.
I had the soap with me but it was so much stretchier after sitting in the sun I didn't need it. The hard part was really stretching it to where the zippers could start, and keeping it close enough to get by the gap in the broken zipper. I'll probably do it before I leave though. Will the soap collect desert sand?

Reactions: Wildman
Not a $ thing for me - I actually prefer the Rampage over the Besttop. I'm not a fan of all the extra hardware for the sunrider, and it just works better for my particular use case.

Damn those zippers though...
Ah okay didn't realize you can't get the besttop without the sunrider... I've had enough cars with sunroofs to know they're pretty useless

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I use spray silicone on my zippers - it works so well at reducing friction that I zipped the zipper right off the end of the zipper!

I had the soap with me but it was so much stretchier after sitting in the sun I didn't need it. The hard part was really stretching it to where the zippers could start, and keeping it close enough to get by the gap in the broken zipper. I'll probably do it before I leave though. Will the soap collect desert sand?

Yes the soap might collect some of the sand. What I found to help was to hang the back of the window with the velcro and algin the zippers that way.

I use spray silicone on my zippers - it works so well at reducing friction that I zipped the zipper right off the end of the zipper!

Try this out as it might not collect as much dirt.

Yes the soap might collect some of the sand. What I found to help was to hang the back of the window with the velcro and algin the zippers that way.
I had to grab both sides of the zipper and stretch them together while I worked the zipper with my fingers :LOL: that plastic is really stretchy in the sun lol. That's what I'm hoping gets a little better

I had to grab both sides of the zipper and stretch them together while I worked the zipper with my fingers :LOL: that plastic is really stretchy in the sun lol. That's what I'm hoping gets a little better
What I do is run all the zippers down first, and then slip the bottom of the top into the rails. Seems to work a bit easier that way - at least for me.

X2 to start the zippers for at least a couple inches first, then put the plastic channels in. Way easier and less stress on the zippers.

What I do is run all the zippers down first, and then slip the bottom of the top into the rails. Seems to work a bit easier that way - at least for me.
Hmmm okay I'll try that next time, I did that before the zippers. Still had a hard time doing the rails even with the zippers down lol but hopefully it's just because it was new. What do you do with the tightening strap that goes across the top of the inside of the top? The slack just hangs down for me I'm thinking of just taping it

Hmmm okay I'll try that next time, I did that before the zippers. Still had a hard time doing the rails even with the zippers down lol but hopefully it's just because it was new. What do you do with the tightening strap that goes across the top of the inside of the top? The slack just hangs down for me I'm thinking of just taping it
If you are talking about the excess strap after the clasp, I just wrap it around a few times and slip the tail into the last wrap.

Hard to see, but it works fine.
6C264BE8-9209-4103-BBE4-A5030C1EC152.jpeg

I don’t use the storage for the windows. The LJ windows are just a bit too long for it to work well. But, in a pinch I could get them in there.

Hard to see, but it works fine.
View attachment 324330

I don’t use the storage for the windows. The LJ windows are just a bit too long for it to work well. But, in a pinch I could get them in there.
Okay yeah that looks decent. Better than duct tape would, which was my plan. Kinda my theme though.

I didn't take a look inside the pouch yet, but I wasn't sure if I should trust it to not scratch up the windows. Guess that's what it's for but idk if I should be cramming towels in with the windows or something

Okay yeah that looks decent. Better than duct tape would, which was my plan. Kinda my theme though.

I didn't take a look inside the pouch yet, but I wasn't sure if I should trust it to not scratch up the windows. Guess that's what it's for but idk if I should be cramming towels in with the windows or something
That's definitely one reason I don't stick them up there. I've got a felt storage roll and canvass sleeve for the windows when not installed - which is most of the time.

That's definitely one reason I don't stick them up there. I've got a felt storage roll and canvass sleeve for the windows when not installed - which is most of the time.
Yeah I don't want to ruin them right away. I was considering bringing canned air to blow off all the dirt before storing them lol