Basket's Build

Totally understandable and relatable.

They're not unobtainable at least. Just a bit more than I wanted, but you might be able to find better deals locally being patient too.

Hell sometimes I think I'm overthinking it and to just send it with the manual lol. I don't think I'm going to make any big decisions now until I get a chance to see what an auto feels like, and what a correctly geared manual feels like.

They're not unobtainable at least. Just a bit more than I wanted, but you might be able to find better deals locally being patient too.

Hell sometimes I think I'm overthinking it and to just send it with the manual lol. I don't think I'm going to make any big decisions now until I get a chance to see what an auto feels like, and what a correctly geared manual feels like.
I know you'll be happy with lower diff gears regardless of which trans you have for on road driving, Off road auto will give you a slight crawl advantage but it all boils down to "your" driving preference and where you like to go.

Do yourself and everyone on here a favor. Start a post asking how many folks that run autos would like to be forced to manually shift them as a daily. On trail, we all do. Drop it in first for 90% of the day when it is in 4 low. Other than that, manual shift sucks donkey balls. And if you haven't driven one, you have zero appreciation for how much they are not fun.
Are you saying in an auto people drop it into 1st when in 4lo or in a manual? Trying to catch up on this thread but it's kinda fucking all over the place so just trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket
Are you saying in an auto people drop it into 1st when in 4lo or in a manual? Trying to catch up on this thread but it's kinda fucking all over the place so just trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Depends. If I need wheel speed, I'll go 2nd or 3rd gear.

I have a very, very basic understanding of it. On a TJ for example instead of it being PRND12, it's PRND21 right?

That is reversed, the manual part means that it takes off from a stop in any of the D, 1, or 2 positions. In other words, you have to shift it, it does not shift automatically. If you go from 1 to D, it skips 2 and likely seriously lugs the motor.

That makes sense. So it just forces the drive to not skip 2?

It gives the driver 100% control over what gear it's in. Similarly to a manual you pick the gear and go, the torque converter slips instead of a manual trans clutch, until you reach enough RPM for fluid lockup. You can also slip the clutches/bands with too much power...

• Wow
It gives the driver 100% control over what gear it's in. Similarly to a manual you pick the gear and go, the torque converter slips instead of a manual trans clutch, until you reach enough RPM for fluid lockup. You can also slip the clutches/bands with too much power...

Ah now I understand. I was thinking about this completely wrong. Did any TJs come from the factory with it?

That's what I thought. I can see the use for racing but that sounds like a PITA for a daily.

No more so than a manual transmission IMO, that being said, it is just that, a personal preference.
Manual valve body kits/shift kits are pretty popular in the muscle car scene (for the older era cars).

Sorry about the derail @lBasket

I finally picked up my VW from the body shop!! It's about time. Bit of a fiasco getting it but it's done.

Still getting 25mpgs on the highway still... Expecting 35-38. I'll have to play around with it on the emptier roads by me and make sure I can still get that. God I hope I don't have to bring it back for something...

But I can actually go back to working on the jeep now that I have a way to get around.