Basket's Build

Definitely something I should look into. Would you go to a scale for this or would it be calculable using camper weight + tongue weight scale?

You can start by just looking at the door card and making some rough calculations. How much is the camper? What is your GCVWR and GVWR? Axle Weight Rating? How much does the trailer and Jeep weigh (probably around 6000 lbs, give or take). Take 10% of the trailer load and apply it to the Rear axle load.

If you are still OK...Estimate how much crap you can bring in the camper with you...Tools, Water, Spare parts, Food, etc. Don't forget that YOU count as payload, driving the truck. Those older 3/4's hit max payload pretty quick.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying you can't tow overloaded...I have a Colorado that I routinely overload...but you should know you're doing it and where the risks are.

You can start by just looking at the door card and making some rough calculations. How much is the camper? What is your GCVWR and GVWR? Axle Weight Rating? How much does the trailer and Jeep weight (probably around 6000 lbs, give or take). Take 10% of the trailer load and apply it to the Rear axle load.

If you are still OK...Estimate how much crap you can bring in the camper with you...Tools, Water, Spare parts, Food, etc. Those older 3/4's hit max payload pretty quick.
Dry weight of camper 1401lbs
GWVR 9200lb
Looks like rear axle weight rating is 6048lbs

Guesstimate my junk + water at like... 400lbs max extra?
if the trailer + jeep is 6k, with 600lbs on the rear axle...
That puts me at 1401+400+600=2401?

That is a really wide margin kinda seems like I am not doing it right

GWVR 9200lb

You're leaving out the unloaded weight of the truck on the rear axle.

Reactions: Mike_H
GWVR 9200lb

Don’t forget the weight of the truck…that comes right off the top of the gross weight ratings

Don’t forget the weight of the truck…that comes right off the top of the gross weight ratings

You're leaving out the unloaded weight of the truck on the rear axle.

Where do you find that?

1710123133985.jpeg

PSA...
This is what can happen when you overload a truck with a hitch extender and a camper..
1710124542661.png

You can always lighten the tongue weight of the trailer a little by moving the vehicle further to the rear of the trailer deck. Just remember you need to maintain a forward weight bias... I believe its something like 60/40% infront of and behind the axles. That will give yu the lighted tongue weight and still keep the trailer stable.

Reactions: lBasket
PSA...
This is what can happen when you overload a truck with a hitch extender and a camper..
View attachment 508423

You can always lighten the tongue weight of the trailer a little by moving the vehicle further to the rear of the trailer deck. Just remember you need to maintain a forward weight bias... I believe its something like 60/40% infront of and behind the axles. That will give yu the lighted tongue weight and still keep the trailer stable.

And I thought my camper was kinda big that thing is a monster, all solid too no canvas popout!!

Maybe I should get one of those hitches with the scale built in so I can be sure I set it up right. especially since I've never done it before

Reactions: reddvltj
And I thought my camper was kinda big that thing is a monster, all solid too no canvas popout!!

Maybe I should get one of those hitches with the scale built in so I can be sure I set it up right. especially since I've never done it before

You can get an adapter to put on a floor jack or bottle jack, instead of buying the hitch.. Not to mention, I don't think I have ever seen a weight distribution hitch with a bult in scale.

Reactions: lBasket
You can get an adapter to put on a floor jack or bottle jack, instead of buying the hitch.. Not to mention, I don't think I have ever seen a weight distribution hitch with a bult in scale.

I saw something like this ugly link

I'm not sure if that is a weight distribution hitch. Is that something you'd recommend I have? What about this "anti sway" stuff I keep seeing mentioned

Reactions: reddvltj
ye but payload for what?

There’s only one payload. It’d be all the additional weight your truck can carry, including the tongue weight, cargo, camper, passengers etc.

I’d confirm your specific payload but that should give us an idea.

There’s only one payload. It’d be all the additional weight your truck can carry, including the tongue weight, cargo, camper, passengers etc.

I’d confirm your specific payload but that should give us an idea.

That is the GWVR minus truck weight to get to that figure right?

I see on these RV websites people saying that what really matters is GWCR whatever that is