Basket's Build

I like aluminum too but I don't like the $$$$$ that goes with them. My 14' steel trailer with wood deck weights 1600lbs. And Irun was saying his aluminum trail is under 1100lbs for a comparison. Both can have a gross combined cargo weight of 7000lbs.

Yep lol. It'd be nice but I'm not really willing to pay for it. A wood/steel trailer with a jeep on it is still 1/2 or under of my tow capacity so I'm chillin. Trying to spend 2500$ or less soooo

Yep lol. It'd be nice but I'm not really willing to pay for it. A wood/steel trailer with a jeep on it is still 1/2 or under of my tow capacity so I'm chillin. Trying to spend 2500$ or less soooo

WOW out here a 16'-18' trailer is $4500 or more new and you're lucky to find one for under $3500 used and most of those are POS beat to shit.

WOW out here a 16'-18' trailer is $4500 or more new and you're lucky to find one for under $3500 used and most of those are POS beat to shit.

I've been checking out Facebook marketplace and there are options in that range... Whether or not they need new bearings etc is another thing, but they're out there lol.

I'm surprised by the amount of untitled trailers. I don't think it's a huge deal to get it titled as homemade but I'm gonna try to avoid it.

Lots of junk like this. Not perfect but good enough to start with.

Screenshot_20240310-181335.png

Do you think there are any extra considerations for a trailer that will work with the truck camper?

Your camper isn't any longer than your truck so no you should be OK. I ran a 12" stinger with my S&S camper.

IMGP0427.JPG

IMGP0429.JPG

I do sometimes wonder if I should just buy new if I'm already at like 50% new price.

Biggest thing stopping me from considering that is I don't want another payment before I start going scorched earth on my student loans this year

I would never pay more than 50% of new for something used. Just my thought process. As you said if it needs work you'll be into it for how much?

What's a bearing buddy do I need them

Bearing Buddy makes it SUPER easy to gears the wheel bearings.

https://www.bearingbuddy.com/

Reactions: lBasket
Also if you are buying new then get the spare & spare mount. It's something I didn't on mine and wished I had. Also a tongue storage box is REALLY nice. Having a place for your straps & chains & other needed items for the trailer is nice. I'm planning on getting a longer trailer in the next year or two so I don't plan on doing many of those upgrades to my current trailer.

Reactions: lBasket
Your camper isn't any longer than your truck so no you should be OK. I ran a 12" stinger with my S&S camper.

View attachment 508367

View attachment 508368
My camper does stick further out than yours. It looks like the tongue on that trailer is relatively short? I was also worried about needing to relocate the jack (not a huge deal) but it looks like it slides right under your camper.

IMG_20231104_183234.jpg

I would never pay more than 50% of new for something used. Just my thought process. As you said if it needs work you'll be into it for how much?
Yeah I mean 1500-2k for the trailer leaving me some leftover for wheels, bearings, whatever was kinda what I was thinking. I haven't called around to see what a new 16' car hauler would be. If it's like 4500 I might be better off buying new I haven't really given that much thought. Maybe I'll check out the trailer dealership by my house...
Bearing Buddy makes it SUPER easy to gears the wheel bearings.

https://www.bearingbuddy.com/
These look sweet. I'll probably get some I've read enough stories about locked up bearings

Also if you are buying new then get the spare & spare mount. It's something I didn't on mine and wished I had. Also a tongue storage box is REALLY nice. Having a place for your straps & chains & other needed items for the trailer is nice. I'm planning on getting a longer trailer in the next year or two so I don't plan on doing many of those upgrades to my current trailer.

Good call thanks. Yeah if I go that route I'll probably just end up paying for what I want. I will either spend a little money and spend a lot of time or spend money and soend no time. I wouldn't be motivated to buy new and have to modify it

Reactions: Wildman
My camper does stick further out than yours. It looks like the tongue on that trailer is relatively short? I was also worried about needing to relocate the jack (not a huge deal) but it looks like it slides right under your camper.

View attachment 508372

Yeah I mean 1500-2k for the trailer leaving me some leftover for wheels, bearings, whatever was kinda what I was thinking. I haven't called around to see what a new 16' car hauler would be. If it's like 4500 I might be better off buying new I haven't really given that much thought. Maybe I'll check out the trailer dealership by my house...

These look sweet. I'll probably get some I've read enough stories about locked up bearings

You'll need to measure from your hitch to the end of your camper. Then get a hitch extension but you will have to pay attention to it's weight restrictions. You might have to run a Super Hitch (dual receiver).

I want a tilt deck like this for my next trailer as I'm too old to lug ramps around anymore. My motorcycle would get side loaded on the front.

1710117552990.png

You'll need to measure from your hitch to the end of your camper. Then get a hitch extension but you will have to pay attention to it's weight restrictions. You might have to run a Super Hitch (dual receiver).
Yeah I will have to do that next time I throw it on the truck. Maybe next weekend.

I'll have to start reading on hitch extensions then. Lots to learn
I want a tilt deck like this for my next trailer as I'm too old to lug ramps around anymore. My motorcycle would get side loaded on the front.

View attachment 508376
My friend has a trailer like this except the entire thing tilts instead of a portion.

He actually told me to avoid them he says they're a pain in the ass, he says he has to use 2 hi lifts to get it to be where he needs it. Do these have some kind of powered tilt motion?

Reactions: reddvltj
Wow beefy.
The Super Hitch is this

View attachment 508378

Has a weight capacity of 6500lbs. Or 12,000lbs with a weight distribution hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adap..._0DHN1Okm3PkxmVYKQOk6_IAAG-lNRSxoCzrUQAvD_BwE

I have not seen anything like this. This is because an extender lowers my rating? If I need one.

This reminds me of another question I've had stewing... The truck has spots to put a trailer ball "in" the bumper and it also had a trailer hitch under the bumper, like one of them Curt ones. Which would you use?