Battery cable replacement options

"Snap" wasn't the best term to use there. YouTube makes it look like a piece of cake but that one, small bolt is a potential project time/frustration multiplier.

Another note I would say is to be wary of the bolt on the engine block. In my 2006 it was very difficult to remove. YouTube makes it look like a snap but the lower bolt spun and spun for me. Had to hold an internal stud with a small socket and it was a three handed job in a hard to access spot.

I used an inexpensive universal stud extractor and it was a̶ s̶n̶a̶p̶ easy. 😆

904_fot_012__16692.1509133724.jpg

I used a kit and I agree they're expensive.

Before I had my TJ I used this website to get custom battery cables for a boat rewiring project. I was very happy with the product and the service/shipping.

https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Custom-Cables
Another note I would say is to be wary of the bolt on the engine block. In my 2006 it was very difficult to remove. YouTube makes it look like a snap but the lower bolt spun and spun for me. Had to hold an internal stud with a small socket and it was a three handed job in a hard to access spot.
Yeah, I had that problem, too. Ended up getting a set of needle nose vise grips to hold on to the stud while I used an open end wrench to remove the nut. I'm pretty sure I put red locktite on it when I put it back, but I could have forgotten over the palpable level of frustration I was experiencing just dealing with that ground strap.

Battery Cables USA.com
A couple are a few inches long. I think i order the correct parts. $64 after shipping.

Order Summary

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S2BK-36IN-38 2 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Color: Black
Length (hole center to hole center): 36 inch
Cable Ends Options: 3/8 lug both ends​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$13.05 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$13.05
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S4RD-12IN-56-38 4 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Color: Red
Length (hole center to hole center): 12 inch
Cable Ends Options: 5/16 lug one side 3/8 lug other side​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$5.96 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$5.96
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S6BK-48IN-38 6 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Color: Black
Length (hole center to hole center): 48 inch
Cable Ends Options: 3/8 lug both ends​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$8.68 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$8.68
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S2RD-36IN-56-38 2 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Color: Red
Length (hole center to hole center): 36 inch
Cable Ends Options: 5/16 lug one side 3/8 lug other side​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$13.05 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$13.05
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
ADPT-MIL-PAIR Military Ordnance Style Battery Terminal Adapter - Top Post to Stud
Pair or Individual: Pair with POS & NEG​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$9.94 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$9.94
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
466N9-PR Military Ordnance Style Battery Terminal Adapter Boot Covers
Single or Pair: Pair (Black & Red)​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$7.79 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$7.79
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
222E3V02 Lug & Ring Terminal Boot Covers Medium 1/0 , 1, 2, 4 or 6 awg
Single or Pair: Red Single Boot​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$1.99 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$1.99
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
thanks a lot for this link! this is exactly what I was looking for! great pricing and looks like good quality. I probably configure the cable towards my amp here as well. thanks!

Reactions: Jeepin'Ed
CustomBatteryCables for me but looks like my package got lost coming over the border. I just heard back from them and they will ship me a new one. They also extended my alternator cable by 6” for my OBA at no extra cost. Very good guys to deal with.

I made my own with pure copper wire and I crimped on the ends. Military terminals. They work well. I suppose it is easier to buy pre-made, I just felt like doing the work. Not a big deal. I didn't solve a problem, just refreshed the original wires.

I made my own and I am very happy with the results, I bought 25 feet of 2awg cable and finished all +/- wires and had enough to run wires to my amp as well. If you got the cash and don't ever plan on doing electrical upgrades yourself, but it online and be done with it.

Bumping this up for installed pics, reviews, input, etc. I want to upgrade my cables but don't really want to install an external fuse box. Just looks cheap IMHO. I also don't want a lot of extra cable length to have up tuck away. Considering making my own as well, but want to use a fusable link.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Just replaced all of mine with the 2 ga set from JeepCables. Nice cable set. I'm very satisfied. The 2ga can be a little more of a challenge to install due to the stiffer cable, but worth it. The company was very easy to work with and very responsive to my questions before and after the sale. Made in the USA.
I just finished doing the same thing. Great upgrade!

Just a note that the factory battery cables are 6 gauge, 2 gauge is definitely overkill but it's ok to use. I wouldn't go any larger. Personally I'd probably go 4 gauge if it was me. Only a winch really need 2 gauge but it comes with its own cables.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I bought a hydraulic crimp tool to make cables. It's easy and a really nice tool is inexpensive. Mine is a 16-ton with a drop in end pin, you can find them on ebay for $50, they used to be about $35 on aliexpress but shipping has gone through the roof. Much better than the $70 HF tool either way. The fuseable links are easy to find if you don't jump the shark on the base alternator wire gauge so don't do that. Some places sell kits but you just need the wire and barrels to make your own. If you get nice terminals and shrink tubing with the glue you can make great cables. The crimp tool dies aren't sized perfect but it doesn't matter at all if you have even basic skills with hand tools. Just avoid those hammer crimp things, they have such limited use and you'll burn through so much copper getting things right I'd imagine you'll pay for the hydraulic tool in an hour.

As above, make sure to ONLY crimp connectors like are needed here. Don't crimp and solder, and don't just solder either.
Yes if your cables are in good shape,I just went and got a couple of marine terminals from parts store(wing nut on top)and welding terminals from farm store and bought a good set of ratchet crimpers and some shrink wrap.

When it comes to cables, I love Anchor brand marine cable and terminals. They are not cheap, but they are just the best easily available. Bit of an overkill, but simply the best. One size over ( smaller number ) the OEM size is a superb improvement, two sizes over is best. A good bettery cable could mean the difference in a weak battery start. For headlights, thats a mod I always do, a better lights cable will make more light, thats a big deal for me. The rest of the Jeep can be happy with OEM cables.

When it comes to cables, I love Anchor brand marine cable and terminals. They are not cheap, but they are just the best easily available. Bit of an overkill, but simply the best. One size over ( smaller number ) the OEM size is a superb improvement, two sizes over is best. A good bettery cable could mean the difference in a weak battery start. For headlights, thats a mod I always do, a better lights cable will make more light, thats a big deal for me. The rest of the Jeep can be happy with OEM cables.
I'm a big fan of Ancor products as well. Blue Sea is another awesome brand in the ASG family.