Bedliner inside the tub

I am having this exact decision. Trashed the carpet
Even with bed liner it won't be long before you figure out it was a mistake to remove the carpeting. The carpeting not only keeps it from turning the interior into an uncomfortably loud environment on the highway, and the large amount of heat coming up through the floor from the main catalytic converter will turn it into an oven as well.

For the bed liner, I strongly recommend either having it either sprayed in using a compressor and an appropriate paint gun or rolling it on with a paint roller. Don't buy aerosol cans of bed liner like Rustoleum sells, they clog up so badly you're lucky to get half the contents sprayed before it clogs. Many of my cans were still near full when they stopped spraying even after I started flipping them upside down to clear the nozzle with the aerosol gas between sprayings.

Reactions: John Cooper
I'm with Jerry on this. One of the first things I did to my Jeep was rip the carpet out and put bedliner in, thinking the carpet was going to hold water and rot out my floors (which it was, a little). I used Lizard skin, both the sound deadener one and the heat shield one in separate coats. Applied it using a roller and brush. I can't speak to other bedliner products, but this stuff is kind of soft/weak for a Jeep, and I have not noticed any of the sound deadening or heat blocking properties.

What I wish I had done is just treated the rust in the floor, gave it a quality top coat, and put the carpet back in. Maybe even with some Dynamat underneath or whatever. Now that the bedliner is in, I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to get it back out. Maybe you would have better results with Line-x or something, but it will also be a lot more money.

I've talked to a few that regretted bed lining the inside because of heat and noise. Don't do it, it's a waste of time, money and effort.

If you want something that looks nicer than the OEM carpet, take a look at bedrug.

Reactions: RangerTJ
+1 for monstaliner. Did it myself in an afternoon. Proper prep and then paint. It's held up to abuse for 10 years without a sign of wear. Another thing to consider is road noise. If that is something you are concerned about, you'll definitely hear a difference between bed lining and carpet.

Having never ridden in a jeep with carpet still intact (other than my brothers JK), I’m more concerned with the noise difference between bare metal and lined..

Think a lot of this discussion is based on location and how you use your jeep.

Heat is not a concern for me, either is noise.

I haven’t had a top on my jeep in over 6 years, add the 35’s and plenty of wind noise, I don’t think carpet would quiet my ride enough to notice.

Carpet holds moisture, which will lead to rot.

Now if you are the sort that rocks a hardtop all the time, hell no I would not recommend Bed liner without some sort of carpet.

In my case, never running a top, my jeep gets rained on from time to time, so carpet is a big no go.

Mud is unavoidable where I live, so again carpet would suck.

My interior is gutted, no center console, no rear seat, less I have in it, the less there is to clean.

So Bed liner, like carpet is really based on how you use your jeep…

Agreed with most everyone that it depends on where you live. I’m not concerned with floor rot before or after lining where some are because of the elements outside. Sure heat doesn’t bother me, atleast on the driver side without the carpet. Where I wheel, it gets dusty and can get muddy red sometimes, and at that point, I’d rather clean the lined floorboards instead of carpet. So with that being said, I typically take my carpet out during wheeling trips. It takes all but 10 minutes to put it back in anyway.

I appreciate all the input even if I didn’t agree! I decided to go with the Armorlite custom flooring another poster linked. I just went with the front and back. Didn’t get the rear bed mat but I probably will get a liner like Quadratec sells at a later time. It was expensive so hope it’s as good as they claim (and justifies the price). I found some YouTube videos, although nothing for a TJ, and the Armorlite flooring appears to be well regarded. I have a shipping tracking number but hasn’t shipped yet so we’ll see when I get it.

I’ll update this thread once I get it and get it installed.

If you live in a wet environment, especially where it snows and they spread salt solutions on the roads, it is absolutely a fantastic idea to spray the inside of the tub…

I drove down to get a Georgia tub just because I wanted to start with a clean slate. I Raptor Lined the complete inside and underneath of the tub. I then installed new carpet…

I should never have to worry about rusty floors and rockers again…

I got the Armortech flooring delivered today. I bought the front and back to start. Wasn’t cheap but so far, I’m impressed. Appears to be very well made. I won’t get it installed before Monday but if I can post pics, I will. Extremely well made. We’ll see how well it fits but just from looking at it, it appears it should fit well. We’ll see soon.

Not sure I can edit my post above but it’s Armorlite not Armortech

Yeah, pics once installed Wouk be great. You should be able to hit the 3 dots next to report in the bottom left corner of your posts to edit.

F2AFED5E-D901-41C2-A3EF-4187D714868F.png

I got the Armortech flooring delivered today. I bought the front and back to start. Wasn’t cheap but so far, I’m impressed. Appears to be very well made. I won’t get it installed before Monday but if I can post pics, I will. Extremely well made. We’ll see how well it fits but just from looking at it, it appears it should fit well. We’ll see soon.

I'm very interested in how the install turns out. My current carpet is trashed, and cleaning up the interior bits is on my agenda this year. Following.

Here it is installed. Gotta say, I’m impressed. Fit perfect. I didn’t buy it for sound reduction but there is a noticeable reduction in engine/drive train noise. The first couple pics are before the seats went back in.

View attachment 398377

View attachment 398378

View attachment 398379

View attachment 398380

View attachment 398381

View attachment 398382

View attachment 398383

It looks super nice. Would love it in my tj. I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. Unfortunately a bit expensive though as I’m trying to get new tires soon! Might end up settling for a bedliner

It looks super nice. Would love it in my tj. I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. Unfortunately a bit expensive though as I’m trying to get new tires soon! Might end up settling for a bedliner

That is definitely on my list. Can you show a picture of the area in front of the back seat?