Bell housing & rear main questions

Flcnj94

Tracing a lower engine knocking/ticking and checking the tightness of the bolts on what I believe is the bell housing? The bottom right bolt upon trying to tighten just continuously spins instead of getting tighter. It is in place and not freely moving around but it is not snug at all and doesn’t take much to turn it. What would be the cause of this? Would this cause noise? I’ve attached photos of which bolt is moveable.

0BDC5CA8-3496-4C1F-A741-391D3208DE1D.jpeg

Secondly, the PO changed the rear main seal and upon looking at that area it looks like it isn’t fully closed/flush, looks wet, etc - is this normal? Also attached photos of this.

I’m new to Jeep mechanics so forgive me if this is basic knowledge. Thanks!

711184FE-9254-4830-B47C-9AEA6676A258.jpeg

C16A697A-83E0-43A7-B3AE-431EF3D05AD3.jpeg

4C83E4E0-E5BF-434D-B326-6ECAE08B6E18.jpeg

The bolt is very likely spinning because it is either stripped, or what it’s screwing into is stripped. That gap should be totally normal and fine. That’s where the oil pan meets the engine, there is a gasket in between those two things. The oil pan doesn’t need to seal to the bell housing in any way, they are just next to each other.

I can’t see it from the photos, but if that is something leaking, that is super slow. Assuming it is the rear main, personally, I would just leave it so you don’t accidentally make it worse by trying to fix it. I replaced my rear main 3 times because I didn’t get it right the first 2, and trust me, it’s a pain.

You should check your valve cover gasket as well to make sure oil from that isn’t just leaking down to where you see it now. If that’s the problem, it’s a pretty easy fix.

You’ll probably need to give more information for someone try to diagnose the noise problem. I doubt that it’s that bolt that you’re able to hear, but I guess it could be possible?