Best shocks for a smooth ride?

Well, between cold weather setting in , me and letting someone drive it and experiment with pressure , this thing was pretty bad out ..she's at 26 on all 4 tires and calmed down .

Now , if It only had an automatic transmission. I know the debate rages, and I'm not on here to insult anyone's taste, choices or budget ...but I may never own another manual . I can't do what an automatic transmission can do , on or off road.

Ok, I will go away for the night .

I lowered the 03 to 26 psi where it needed to be and drove them back to back .

The 03 might give a little bit up in comfort to the 05 , but not enough to start shopping for shocks .

The shocks on the 05 say x23861 made in Mexico at the bottom , and are white with no label.

I have never owned a vehicle that was so sensitive to tire type, psi and balance . I've also never had a Jeep that was actually warm, comfortable and quiet until now either .

I think we need a tpms that is blue toothed to everyones forum account ..save a lot of work.

My 06 Rubicon with the Rancho 5000x and new Cooper load C. The difference between 29 and 27 psi is HUGE! Tracks perfect, soft as a baby's bottom. At 29 it was still a bit darty and the return to center was iffy.
When you have such a short and light vehicle the smallest things can make a big difference.

I tow my 05 stock TJ behind my RV. I'm going to start letting my 'better half' drive the jeep. Will be mostly So Cal freeways with all the crazy drivers.......I want to eliminate any wobble, etc at freeway speeds so I'm going to start with the shocks, then balance the wheels , etc. Do you think the Rancho 5000x are the best shocks for my dilemma?

I want to improve the ride and 'safety' of my 05 almost stock TJ at freeway speeds. I primarily tow the TJ behind our RV. Do you think the Rancho RS5000x shocks are the way to go. I'm also going to have the BF Goodrich tires balanced before my 'better half' gets behind the wheel..... jeepwithjakcomic.jpg

geek squad chat is a well-known tech service provider company in the world. Our experts offer support for all types of technical problems faced in computers, laptops and smartphones. They even provide solutions for home appliances, TV, smart wearable and home theatre. We help our customers in setup, installation, repair, uninstallation, replacement, damage and other issues. Our dedicated support team is always available at your service and assures you for the quick resolutions. Book geek squad chat today and get your device fixed without wasting much time.
geek squad chat
geek squad chat now
geek squad chat with an agent
Go away Johan!

I tow my 05 stock TJ behind my RV. I'm going to start letting my 'better half' drive the jeep. Will be mostly So Cal freeways with all the crazy drivers.......I want to eliminate any wobble, etc at freeway speeds so I'm going to start with the shocks, then balance the wheels , etc. Do you think the Rancho 5000x are the best shocks for my dilemma?
I decided on the Rancho 5000x and have had them about a year now. They've been great. No experience with the other options mentioned. I do want to say wobble is more than likely worn Tie rod ends, bad caster because of lift and stock control arms, worn trac bar ends, or worn d-link end. Also I would check the torque on all bolts of the mention above ends.

I understand the logic about leaving the boots off. Then why (I am almost afraid to ask) would the manufacturers put them on with the implied message that they are there to protect against what obviously becomes a problem...dirt, moisture?
Is it just for the Bling factor?

I understand the logic about leaving the boots off. Then why (I am almost afraid to ask) would the manufacturers put them on with the implied message that they are there to protect against what obviously becomes a problem...dirt, moisture?
Is it just for the Bling factor?
I forgot my question: If you don't care about lift, is there a good compatible spring set that should go with the shocks to further improve the ride? Thanks.

If they have a lower spring constant and longer free length, it will make a difference and keep the same ride height.

Shocks act long before a spring makes any meaningful impact, that’s their job (to control spring movement). They convert the kinetic energy into heat (typically). So no, the spring rate really doesn’t have a meaningful impact on ride, that example would just keep them in place longer before they unseat, assuming that’s valid for the rig’s available travel.

Reactions: jjvw
I have swapped springs on the front struts of a T4R and spring rating does make a slight difference. The T4R has a lot of brake dive when stock. Old Man Emu struts and springs made a big difference. Almost too stiff for my minimal added weight. I tried a lighter Old Man Emu spring and the ride improved only slightly. The brake dive returned but it was minimal. The spring swap wasn’t worth effort or expense. On the T4R I’d say that the new AT tires vs stock P made the biggest difference in increased road feel.
I have also swapped to heavy rear Old Man Emu from lights on the Jeep. I noticed no difference in ride quality, just a 1/2” higher ride height.

Shocks act long before a spring makes any meaningful impact, that’s their job (to control spring movement). They convert the kinetic energy into heat (typically). So no, the spring rate really doesn’t have a meaningful impact on ride, that example would just keep them in place longer before they unseat, assuming that’s valid for the rig’s available travel.

When I had my shocks tuned, no one asked me about spring rates. Only the shock's up and down travels and the travel bias.

Reactions: rasband