Best shocks for a smooth ride?

Why don’t any of the shock tuners use Bilstein 7100’s? It seems they are just as rebuildable and tunable as a fox factory 2.0 but at less cost and you can get a short body version of each travel length. For example the 10” travel version has a compressed length of 14.06 inches. That is definitely short enough to work within the constraints of a non-outboarded tj rear suspension and 10 inches of travel would work well with a 3 inch spring (based on my own experimenting with cycling the rear axle).

Has anyone experimented with flutter-stack tunes for Bilstein 7100’s?

The last couple pages have made me worried about the decision to order the Rancho 5000x! Still waiting for it to arrive so lets see how it rides when I install it.

The last couple pages have made me worried about the decision to order the Rancho 5000x! Still waiting for it to arrive so lets see how it rides when I install it.

You don’t need to be worried, they’re good for what they are. Just like anything there’s (almost) always something that could be better and hopefully a lot of things much worse.

To be clear, I'm not bashing the Ranchos! They can't be that bad if so many people recommend them enthusiastically. I'm sure my bad experience could just be an outlier.

To be clear, I'm not bashing the Ranchos! They can't be that bad if so many people recommend them enthusiastically. I'm sure my bad experience could just be an outlier.
I remember when the 5100 was the go to shock for the TJ. And the JKS body lift. And Metalcloak. Patagonias. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Tob and rasband

It's hard for me to say how much effect the Ranchos had on mine because I did a lot of stuff at the same time. Pretty much the entire rear suspension, spring lift, and shocks. But I will say all of those things combined was a marginal upgrade in terms of ride quality. This is compared to an original suspension that was worn out, but not busted in any way.

They aren't going to magically fix your ride quality, they're just decent for the price and at least they're properly tuned for the weight of a TJ.

Well let’s see. My current ride can only be described as riding on garbage bags. The PO had removed the lift kit that was on it when he bought it and replaced it with a set of generic shocks meant for Land Rovers and some random shocks. The slightest bump makes my rear end slam the bump stop. I’m confident anything will be better.

Well let’s see. My current ride can only be described as riding on garbage bags. The PO had removed the lift kit that was on it when he bought it and replaced it with a set of generic shocks meant for Land Rovers and some random shocks. The slightest bump makes my rear end slam the bump stop. I’m confident anything will be better.
Just a thought; have you checked there aren't still bump stop extensions on there from the old lift?

Reactions: Tob
Just a thought; have you checked there aren't still bump stop extensions on there from the old lift?

Which is a very relevant line of question. In these debates there is an assumption that the shocks and their travels are setup well.

Actually, on that note, should I put new bump stops in or keep the original ones? I'm only going up 1.5in so didn't really think I need new ones.

Actually, on that note, should I put new bump stops in or keep the original ones? I'm only going up 1.5in so didn't really think I need new ones.
That depends on the compressed length of the shock and how much of the jounce you want to make use of.

Has anyone gone from the metal cloak rock sport shocks to the rancho rs5000x? I have the Rock sports with MC’s springs and my jeep honestly rides very rough