Best shocks for a smooth ride?

Does a heavy roof rack make a difference on shock?

In between the Nitrocharger sport and the RS5000x. Hard top, heavy bumpers, winch + a Garvin adventure rack down the line.

Lot of people love the RS5000x here, but probably shouldering less weight up top.

In between the Nitrocharger sport and the RS5000x. Hard top, heavy bumpers, winch + a Garvin adventure rack down the line.

Lot of people love the RS5000x here, but probably shouldering less weight up top.
Yes, sprung weight is the biggest impact to how your shocks will perform. Tunes take all that into account. So any off the shelf shock won't consider it and be set for a generic setup.

Reactions: jjvw

More sprung weight requires heavier shock damping.

Yes, you'll likely be interested in something that is firmer than a RS5000X (the butt-ometer reveals all). I love my Rancho's, but my rig weighs 4,000 lbs topless and 4,115 with hardtop.

My suggestion is to lose a lot of weight up top, but I don't know what you're trying to do with your rig, so who am I?

Bottom line is I like a lighter rig. Performs better on and off-road. If you can get there and do what you're trying to do, I would.

Shocks are directly related to the sprung weight of the rig.

I have the Bilstein 5100's on my TJ with a terraflex 8 arm. And let me tell you. They ride rough. I feel every bump in the road. It is a shitty ride.

Is this normal?
I took 5100s off my new to me TJUR and replaced with Rancho 5000x. Less harsh for sure but your results may vary.

I have the Bilstein 5100's on my TJ with a terraflex 8 arm. And let me tell you. They ride rough. I feel every bump in the road. It is a shitty ride.

Is this normal?
"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

Small event harshness is quite annoying to me."
mrblaine.

Reactions: MikeE024
"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

Small event harshness is quite annoying to me."
mrblaine.
Well I guess I better start shopping around.....

FamilyFunWagon didn't put that requirement on! But on the used market Fox RRs are not as bad.
I got some barely used (2000 miles) Rancho 9000X adjustable shocks on Craigslist for $80 for all four. I sold them a year later for $300. I've never found an "off the shelf" shock that rides well on and off road. My Zone hydro shocks (discontinued) have rode as good as any. Rancho rs5000x shocks to me are better offroad.

Reactions: Wtrask

Is this normal?
That's normal for the Bilstein 5100 which is known as a stiff/jittery riding shock. Mrblaine opined you should only run that shock if you want to know if the half-dollar you just rolled over was heads or tails.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Don’t knock these if you haven’t tried them. Very pleased with them
BAE26B6F-BC39-4428-A2C5-DF828CB1CD46.jpeg

Reactions: NOTNSUV