Best size tires for a 2 inch lift?

Gonna tuck some 33s after that and call it a day.
I used to say the same thing and mean it. It never works out that way.
RR5 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg
RUBI ZONE LIFT big (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg
RUBI 6 25 (2).jpg

Width matters as much as size. ;) When you flex to the limits it's the outer edges of your tires that rub. So a 33x10.5 in tire may not have the same issues as a 33x12.5 inch tire since they are technically shorter once you move them to an angle.

My tires are 255/70/R18 which puts them at 32.1x10 in compared to a 285/70R16 tire which is 31.7x11.2 inches. If I were calculating the dimensions under full compression to compare the two and determine if they rub somewhere, I'd need to take into account the tire radius and width of each. My guess is the .4 inch shorter tire that's 1.2 inches wider would be more likely to rub something on a 2.5 inch lift.

So you can determine it both ways. Tire first or lift first. You just need to get out your geometry and algebra books and do some rough calculations. Or use the rules of thumb developed from hundreds of thousands of people posting their individual experiences online. Just remember that a 31, 32, or 33 isn't the only dimension to consider.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Im 16 with an 01 Tj. I have a procomp 2 inch lift and im faced with a dilemma. Me being 16 looks are a pretty important to me, but function is as well . Right now I have an older set of 31 1050's and i would like to run something larger but at the same time i don't want to compromise my off-road capability. I probably do about 20% off-road and 80 on the road. The biggest issues right now is the fact that at this time i can only afford tires which means i cat get wheels with a larger offset.

Im 16 with an 01 Tj. I have a procomp 2 inch lift and im faced with a dilemma. Me being 16 looks are a pretty important to me, but function is as well . Right now I have an older set of 31 1050's and i would like to run something larger but at the same time i don't want to compromise my off-road capability. I probably do about 20% off-road and 80 on the road. The biggest issues right now is the fact that at this time i can only afford tires which means i cat get wheels with a larger offset.
Well you’re in luck, a 31” looks great with a 2” lift.

Want to know what looks stupid with a 2” lift and will compromise both your on-road and off-road capability? A tire bigger than a 31”.

Don’t be a dumb 16 year old, be a smart one 👍

Im 16 with an 01 Tj. I have a procomp 2 inch lift and im faced with a dilemma. Me being 16 looks are a pretty important to me, but function is as well . Right now I have an older set of 31 1050's and i would like to run something larger but at the same time i don't want to compromise my off-road capability. I probably do about 20% off-road and 80 on the road. The biggest issues right now is the fact that at this time i can only afford tires which means i cat get wheels with a larger offset
hey, I'm 16 too. Jeep makes a great first car, right? I've got a 2-inch space lift and am running 31'sX10.5's. with no plans to upgrade soon. when you go up in tires it gets expensive, you have to do axle upgrades and steering upgrades and re-gears. my advice for you is to stick with the 31's they can go a lot of places if you get some diff armor. and other upgrades (like a tummy tuck). plus the tires themselves are cheaper and they look fine. I am also running wheels spacers to fix the offset problem and give me full lock. up until I put the winch on I had no problems rubbing offroad. now I have a little at full flex.

pics on my build thread: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-and-her-3rd-life-as-a-first-car.39245/page-3

Do you have spacers in the front to level it?
I'm not running that lift anymore, but I never needed spacers. That was a rancho 2.5in "rock crawler" lift kit, it rode really level. The rear normally sat a little higher than it looks in that picture, but i had a lot of the weight in that back during that shot.

I used to always enjoy 31s on a CJ. The TJ is a diferent animal. The 33" tires on the Jeep now(32" actually) look great and handle well with the 2+" lift the TJ has now.