Best SYE for future tummy tuck

Astro

Ok guys I need some help with my build.

I am going to do a 4in zone lift kit so i can run 33in tires. I am doing a front trackbar, Savvy transfercase linkage, SYE and driveshaft to start so I can get on the trails.

My overall goal is 35s with a tummy tuck, so I need help choosing my SYE. Should I get a advance adopters or a terflex short shaft. I understand when I do my 1" mml and body lift for my tummy tuck i well probably have to get another new driveshaft but i would like to not have to replace my SYE again. I was reading that for a tummy tuck I might need a short shaft SYE is that true, and if so could I install one now with my 4in lift and then do my tummy tuck later? Anything else I should do now for my future goals since I have the transfer case, rear axle and exhaust removed?

There is no better tummy tuck out there than the Savvy unit as far as I'm concerned.

With a tummy tuck the super short SYE will indeed help, but it's not 100% necessary. You could install one with your current setup, yes. You're going to need a new driveshaft after the tummy tuck though.

All I will tell you is that a tummy tuck is a big can of works. Make sure you have a 1" MML, 1" body lift, and plan to have the exhaust work done as well.

A good tummy tuck is the equivalent of about 7" of suspension lift in terms of driveline angles and such.

Reactions: YourWorstEnemy
Ok guys I need some help with my build.

I am going to do a 4in zone lift kit so i can run 33in tires. I am doing a front trackbar, Savvy transfercase linkage, SYE and driveshaft to start so I can get on the trails.

My overall goal is 35s with a tummy tuck, so I need help choosing my SYE. Should I get a advance adopters or a terflex short shaft. I understand when I do my 1" mml and body lift for my tummy tuck i well probably have to get another new driveshaft but i would like to not have to replace my SYE again. I was reading that for a tummy tuck I might need a short shaft SYE is that true, and if so could I install one now with my 4in lift and then do my tummy tuck later? Anything else I should do now for my future goals since I have the transfer case, rear axle and exhaust removed?
If I were you I would grab a TJ 241OR and sell the 231...no need for a SYE and your will never hurt the planetary or stretch the 203 chain later...loved mine...using the money saved on the SYE and selling the 231 you are not spending crazy $$$ getting a 241OR...you also get a 4.0:1 low range which will offset any other gearing issues with your rig...my 2 cents

Reactions: D M
There is no better tummy tuck out there than the Savvy unit as far as I'm concerned.

With a tummy tuck the super short SYE will indeed help, but it's not 100% necessary. You could install one with your current setup, yes. You're going to need a new driveshaft after the tummy tuck though.

All I will tell you is that a tummy tuck is a big can of works. Make sure you have a 1" MML, 1" body lift, and plan to have the exhaust work done as well.

A good tummy tuck is the equivalent of about 7" of suspension lift in terms of driveline angles and such.
I already am eyeing up the savvy bl, mml and the works, I just want to get on the trails soon, so I am trying to save for the tummy tuck, and still get my jeep lifted, is the terflex short shaft a decent sye, I heard some people say there products are junk.

Just buy the SYE with your new driveshaft. Tom Wood has a kit with SSYE and shaft, that’s what I went with.

Reactions: Chris
Well, I'm not a fan of Teraflex parts. If it was me, I would call up Tom Wood (https://4xshaft.com) and they'll set you up with a good driveshaft and super short SYE. They won't charge you anymore than Teraflex, but you'll be getting great customer service from a very, very reputable name.

to answer your question, the best SYE for a future tuck that I'm aware of is the JB Conversions super short.

I just installed one, my driveshaft is supposed to be delivered today from Tom Wood.

It's short enough that it doesn't have room for a speedometer gear and instead comes with a tone ring and speed sensor. You'll need the BlueMonkey speedohealer to correct the speedometer reading, which you would also need if you got a 241 out of a Rubicon.

So in the end it'll cost you about $250 more than a standard SYE, but if you want to do a tummy tuck later on, buy once cry once.
20200125_200553.jpg

Just buy the SYE with your new driveshaft. Tom Wood has a kit with SSYE and shaft, that’s what I went with.
I have to wait tell I get the sye has I didnt measure before I pulled off my transfercase for a transmission output seal leak, then i decided since it's already on the workbench i might has well out in a sye

I have to wait tell I get the sye has I didnt measure before I pulled off my transfercase for a transmission output seal leak, then i decided since it's already on the workbench i might has well out in a sye
Tom sent the SYE early to me. Once installed I called them with my measurement and they shipped the shaft.

I got to see the insides of their 4:1 transfer case after the planetary exploded after all of 4.5 years of use, and I'm not sure I'll ever buy another teraflex product again.

Yep, Vick at Advanced Adapters (who I've had many long conversations with) told me pretty much the same thing. That their engineer (Advanced Adapters) warned Teraflex about the design of their transfer case before it was even released, but they didn't listen.

And then as sure as shit, everyone started having issues with them.

While Teraflex may or may not make some good things, I don't trust them enough to run any of their products personally.

to answer your question, the best SYE for a future tuck that I'm aware of is the JB Conversions super short.

I just installed one, my driveshaft is supposed to be delivered today from Tom Wood.

It's short enough that it doesn't have room for a speedometer gear and instead comes with a tone ring and speed sensor. You'll need the BlueMonkey speedohealer to correct the speedometer reading, which you would also need if you got a 241 out of a Rubicon.

So in the end it'll cost you about $250 more than a standard SYE, but if you want to do a tummy tuck later on, buy once cry once.View attachment 141346
You actually do not need any speedo correction with a TJ rubi 241...you only need that if you buy a JK case...TJ case is bolt it and attach a couple wires

Yep, Vick at Advanced Adapters (who I've had many long conversations with) told me pretty much the same thing. That their engineer (Advanced Adapters) warned Teraflex about the design of their transfer case before it was even released, but they didn't listen.

While Teraflex may or may not make some good things, I don't trust them enough to run any of their products personally.
haha they thought putting a warning not to go over 10 mph would save them :p oops people rev up and boom!

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

I'm sure some of their newer suspension stuff is probably fine. I think I used a rear track bar bracket from them at one point. But from what I've seen they have zero business inside a gearbox.

X2.

While not absolutely necessary (or maybe, every jeep is different), a longer driveshaft is never a bad thing. I know on mine with the savvy TT, my standard Advance Adapter sye was binding at full droop. The JB conversions super short sye is 2" shorter than AA, and because of that, it solved my binding issue. If I had to choose between any supershorts, I would go with JB. They are quality parts, they are LA based, and it will save you from potentially buying 2 SYEs. My two cents...

so you're saying it has a speedo gear just like a 231?
Yes....I have swapped mine into my XJ (3 wires and the shifter hooked up just like factory speedo was perfect) and now into my LJ (same wires and bolted right in...some said it would not fit with the semi tucked full traction belly pan but they were wrong no hammering the tub at all fit perfect)

I'm sure some of their newer suspension stuff is probably fine. I think I used a rear track bar bracket from them at one point. But from what I've seen they have zero business inside a gearbox.

I'm sure you're right. One would have to hope they learned from their mistakes and got better.

So I just got done doing a tummy tuck. I have tow zone 4.25 combo lift. Earlier in the build I did the savvy transfer case cable upgrade, I also did full adjustable Currie arms so I had my self set up to do the tuck. What finally made me pull the trigger was someone that I wheel with put a atlas in his Jeep and had to get new driveshafts. So I purchased his old t case with his sye kit and his rear driveshaft. Ended up making my own skid and low profile trans mount. Got the exhaust to barely fit with no modifications but the hangers. Modified the track bar relocation bracket for when I rolled the axle . Then I cut the spring buckets to clear the rear shocks. With all that I got the tuck done for 300 bucks.

Reactions: D M