Bestop twill top giant logo

and the "reflective" feature just pushes it over the cliff

Last night I drove through a neighborhood where the road makes a pretty good right curve. It was dark out but as I drove around that curve my headlights shined across several houses, one of which had what I believe is a Jeep that I never noticed before parked in front of another car. I only noticed it this time because there was a fairly large bright white reflection right above the rear window. It seemed so bright at first that I wondered why a spotlight wasn't shining on the car behind it.

I would not hesitate to get a black sharpie marker a hold of that.

Be careful with that black Sharpie. The few times I used it to hide various stuff on something black I found it to be some kind of red that is so dark it looks like black. I'm not sure I described that correctly but it's what I've seen.

Reactions: AndyG and L J

Be careful with that black Sharpie. The few times I used it to hide various stuff on something black I found it to be some kind of red that is so dark it looks like black. I'm not sure I described that correctly but it's what I've seen.

Sharpie is barely opaque and it has a purplish iridescent color to it. It would be the wrong thing to use to cover the white logo. Plus it fades in the sun pretty quickly. Spray paint would work far better.

Interesting posts. A bit off topic. Looking to buy a Besttop soft top for my 98 Sport TJ and was going to have it installed by Bestop. Just read a post above cautioning that. Any opinions? I read the install instructions and wasn’t sure if I could put it in myself. My 98 doesn’t have any sift too hardware. It has a hard top that we want to take off and sell. Jeep is in the Tampa area. Anyone know if someone who could install the soft top if we don’t go with the company install?
Thanks

Minutes ago, I ordered a BesTop ReplaceATop that I expect to have the stupid giant white logo on the back. Have we figured out how to remove it yet?
Interesting posts. A bit off topic. Looking to buy a Besttop soft top for my 98 Sport TJ and was going to have it installed by Bestop. Just read a post above cautioning that. Any opinions? I read the install instructions and wasn’t sure if I could put it in myself. My 98 doesn’t have any sift too hardware. It has a hard top that we want to take off and sell. Jeep is in the Tampa area. Anyone know if someone who could install the soft top if we don’t go with the company install?
Thanks
Assuming your buying the whole kit with the frame and hardware it will be an easy install. Everything you need will come with the kit. You should have no problem with it however I am about 45 minutes south of Tampa if you feel like you can’t do it I would be happy to help if you want to drive down.

Than

My experience:

I bought the square-back twill top directly from Bestop In May and hit the "Buy It Installed" button. I installed a soft top years ago on my old TJ and it wasn't bad if I remember correctly - time consuming, but not incredibly difficult, but of course I was a younger man then :).

Anyway the installation option was probably the best $149 I can ever remember spending. The company is called "Buy It Installed" (apparently they install all sorts of shit - stoves, water heaters, etc.) and they contacted me right away to set up the install. In my case the guy came up from Baltimore (5 1/2 hours from me) two days after the top was delivered, showed up right when he said he'd be there, and after the two of us lifted off the hardtop he got started. A few hours later he was done, I thanked him and tipped him a C, which was purely optional, and he went back to Baltimore. Just like that.

My wife and I could have wrestled off the hardtop ourselves and spent maybe the better part of a day putting on the soft top, perhaps exchanging a sharp word or two, but I figured I'd take a chance and it worked out just fine.

Those are my two cents.

As an aside the logo doesn't bother me at all. I don't even see it anymore.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Assuming your buying the whole kit with the frame and hardware it will be an easy install. Everything you need will come with the kit. You should have no problem with it however I am about 45 minutes south of Tampa if you feel like you can’t do it I would be happy to help if you want to drive down.
X2 on being not that difficult.... IF you have basic tools.
Most independent installers will charge $175-200 and the shops will charge $250-300.
I would recommend having a 2nd person to assist you IF you choose to do the installation yourself.
Place the soft top in the sun for an hour so the material will soften, read the instructions and take your time.
A friend and I replaced the soft top on my Jeep the summer of 2020 which turned out quite well.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the messages and advice.
Thanks Robbieg for the kind offer.
Thanks KillerIsMe for the message. I am in MA and the jeep is in Tampa with my son. I was waiting for him to get the hardtop off before I ordered the soft top but you mentioned the installer helping take off the hardtop. That would be a big help. My son has the basic tools and some skills but I thought it would be better and less headaches to have it professionally installed
I’ll call Bestop tomorrow
Again really appreciate all the help. I hope I can help someone out in the future
Love this forum

First, the logo really isn't that bad, granted it'd look better as another hang tag on the back, but it isn't so just deal with it.
Covering it will more than likely look worse than leaving it alone. It's melted into the fabric so you won't be just ripping it off.
As far as installation? If you can put a top down and off, you can install it yourself. Seriously?
If you're easily confused between a regular screwdriver and a Phillips head screwdriver you might wanna call someone to put it on.
IMG_1666.JPG

Thanks all for the messages and advice.
Thanks Robbieg for the kind offer.
Thanks KillerIsMe for the message. I am in MA and the jeep is in Tampa with my son. I was waiting for him to get the hardtop off before I ordered the soft top but you mentioned the installer helping take off the hardtop. That would be a big help. My son has the basic tools and some skills but I thought it would be better and less headaches to have it professionally installed
I’ll call Bestop tomorrow
Again really appreciate all the help. I hope I can help someone out in the future
Love this forum

You're welcome friend. As I said it's not overly difficult to install - the instructions are concise and it's just Part A goes here Part B goes there. But if you'd rather not bother and the $149 doesn't hurt the Bestop installation is a good alternative. There's all sorts of folks out there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I hated it when my top first showed up but honestly I've stopped noticing it. Wish I'd have known ahead of time but still not sure I would have bought another top instead.

PXL_20210904_153917220.MP.jpg

It might be smaller on the frameless.

Reactions: John Cooper
Reactions: Tray Burge
Oh my, you have the white letters out on your spare, plus red on your front and rear bumpers. Your whole Jeep is a Tramp stamp!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding you bud, I don't have problem with the logo, but to each his own.
They don't call me "the mall crawler" for compliments ya know? lol

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper