Blackjacks 8.7AK

Winch is an 84 the serial number is the giveaway. They used the metal plug until the mid 80s before switching to the plastic one.

OK and thanks for that. That explains the splined shaft instead of keyed shaft also.

Winch is an 84 the serial number is the giveaway. They used the metal plug until the mid 80s before switching to the plastic one.

I thought it was 1980 when they changed over but you'd certainly know better than I. So the code only takes you so far because if it ends in a 0 thru 5 then it could be either with a metal plug. Do You know what approx. serial numbers were in the start of 1980?

My 8274 is a 78 metal plug.
20210717_144909.jpg

I thought it was 1980 when they changed over but you'd certainly know better than I. So the code only takes you so far because if it ends in a 0 thru 5 then it could be either with a metal plug. Do You know what approx. serial numbers were in the start of 1980?

My 8274 is a 78 metal plug.
View attachment 451044

That is the irony with the date code. Warn had no idea that the 8274 would become the Icon that it has and had no thoughts that it would be produced for more than ten years which is why it did not have two digits for the year.

And it is interesting that Warn says they went with the plastic "in about 1980" but I am pretty sure it was a little later and closer to when they introduced the first planetary winches.

That is the irony with the date code. Warn had no idea that the 8274 would become the Icon that it has and had no thoughts that it would be produced for more than ten years which is why it did not have two digits for the year.

And it is interesting that Warn says they went with the plastic "in about 1980" but I am pretty sure it was a little later and closer to when they introduced the first planetary winches.

When did they move from Kent, WA to Milwaukie, OR? Wouldn't that be an indicator of the year built also?

1692469193384.jpeg

Gotcha

If you look at my 1978 serial#98717 and Wildman's serial#264034 they are miles apart and like you said, it can't be a 1974.
All very interesting. Some firearms manufacturers are really convoluted in their model year systems.

Reactions: Wildman
1692473512095.png

Looks like 290520, I got in 1988 on a CJ5 bought for $300, rusted in IN. Would have assumed it was older than mid 80's ??
When did Warn go from key to splines on motor ? Mine has splines. (Date a 7 ??)

Last edited:
I posted about this in another thread but I have not here and that is how I came up with calling this build the 8.7ak. When the 9.5xp came out Warn was basically sandbagging the numbers as the winch can actually pull 11k. So in that same spirit I did the same thing calling it the 8.7ak. We know now with the 8274-70 that the winch can actually pull 10k but that is also why I referred to it as a sleeper winch when I first posted the build.

Nice.

Question for us with older 8274's. What to you recommend for getting the old rusted bolts out of the square nuts in the front hold downs or on the 3 SHCS that hold the top casting on ?? Have to be very careful not to break the aluminum casting by using too much torque ??

Asking for the wife; look what she got for Christmas yesterday !! KO2 (Nov 82), #225562 thanks D

1703338352153.png

Last edited:
Nice.

Question for us with older 8274's. What to you recommend for getting the old rusted bolts out of the square nuts in the front hold downs or on the 3 SHCS that hold the top casting on ?? Have to be very careful not to break the aluminum casting by using too much torque ??

Asking for the wife; look what she got for Christmas yesterday !! KO2 (Nov 82), #225562 thanks D

View attachment 484601

Lots of patience and penetrating oil to start. The three upper housing screws can be drilled relatively easy if needed. The main mounting can be cut and ground down with a die grinder worse case.

"Lots of patience and penetrating oil to start. The three upper housing screws can be drilled relatively easy if needed. The main mounting can be cut and ground down with a die grinder worse case."

Thanks. That is what I thought, no heat. Was going to grind down heads to get off mount and then drill square nut to get the bolt to back out. Will see how it goes.

Reactions: John Cooper
"Lots of patience and penetrating oil to start. The three upper housing screws can be drilled relatively easy if needed. The main mounting can be cut and ground down with a die grinder worse case."

Thanks. That is what I thought, no heat. Was going to grind down heads to get off mount and then drill square nut to get the bolt to back out. Will see how it goes.

You can use heat but I don’t normally recommend it as it is very easy to go overboard. I have used Mapp gas torch and a candle with some success.