Blackjacks 8.7AK

The bolted brake shaft has been an item that has always been on my list. I would have done a gigglepin but now that Warn finally produced one I can just pick it up locally.

Tried searching last night but didn't have much luck. Can you PM me a price? And I think I already have the brake overhaul kit.

Tried searching last night but didn't have much luck. Can you PM me a price? And I think I already have the brake overhaul kit.
I can do that. You will need to see if you have the bolt and washers in the brake kit as it was added when the shaft came out. If you do not let me know and I will see if I have any extra.

Reactions: Wildman
I can do that. You will need to see if you have the bolt and washers in the brake kit as it was added when the shaft came out. If you do not let me know and I will see if I have any extra.

I'll pull the rebuild kit out. But it's about 18 months old so I'd guess it doesn't have the bolt and washer.
I can just get another kit.

Here's the brake rebuild kit I'd bought.

20220422_102057.jpg

Have a peek inside you will definitely know if the bolt and two washers are in there. Let me know if they are not and I will find them for you.

Yep no bolt or washers in the bag so it was old enough not to have the new parts. I can always just order a new one if needed. And I'll be in touch for the saft here soon.

And rereading the thread have you got anymore of the snorkel bolts? And if you do what would you want for one?

Just to bring this back up to the top since I'm in the process of rebuilding my 8274. I'm not sure of the manufacture date on mine I'll have to look. But I got it disassembled today.

20230818_133318.jpg

Had a little trouble getting the top cover off the bottom case but was finally able to.

20230818_140725.jpg

Pulled the gears out so I could fully drain the bottom case and replace the drum bushing.

20230818_142838.jpg

Bottom case draining, the oil that was in there was NASTY. I bought this winch about 12 years ago for $350 so really don't know much about it other than it was a working 8274.

20230818_142841.jpg

Bead blasted the drum to get as much of the rust off as possible.

20230818_152137.jpg

Then painted it with some SteelIt Silver paint.

20230818_160417.jpg

Mine is a wannabe 8274-50 version. I'm not sure of the exact year Warn released the 8274-50 but I think it was 2004. If I remember correctly it was originally supposed to be a limited edition?

I have the-50 solenoid cover and am updating it to a contactor instead of solenoids.

20230818_182815.jpg

20230818_183637.jpg

20230818_183710.jpg

I'm sure @Blackjack can tell me when this winch was built.

20230818_182536.jpg

Reactions: MichaelGH
Reactions: flyinfish
What is the condition of the motor? You keeping the original one or doing an upgrade?

The original motor worked but it seemed weaker than my other 8274. I have another one that is a parts unit now because the lower housing was damaged. which was why I'd bought this other winch.

But yes I am upgrading the motor to a 6.5 HP motor off a 9.5HS winch.

1692414851847.png

As I was sitting here thinking about the build date of this winch I was under the impression that these early builds had a motor with a keyed shaft & not a splined shaft like the newer motors. But when I disassembled the winch the motor on it was splined like the newer motors.

Can anyone confirm this? I can't find the information that had said this was the way the early units were built.