Blackjacks 8.7AK

The XP is an excellent winch and one of the few I would use if I was not running an 8274.

I'm just a 8274 FAN BOY...... This is my 5th 8274 winch I've had installed on different rigs and of all the different winches I've tried it's my favorite. But yes a 9.5XP would be on my list of other choices.

WOW you guys are waaaaaaaaaaay over my head.🤓 I am happy my little Zeon 8S just works whenever I need it😉

Taking a winch apart really isn't any different than taking the suspension or engine apart on our Jeeps.
It's just learning how they are put together and then figuring out what modifications can be made to improve them.

The guys running dual motors and stuff are in a whole other class. But getting to watch the winching competitions can be fun. Doing TRIALS off-roading in Europe is WAY different than any type of wheeling here in the USA. I use to compete in the local events when I was stationed in Germany.

And having a electrical system for winching more than 30-60 seconds at a time is important for some of us also. There are some parts here near where I live that if the hill is nasty it's 3 full winch pulls to get to the top. This is when having dual batteries and a high output alternator come in handy. Set your hand throttle at 1800-2000 RPM's and then just winch. Stop pull rope/cable and winch again and do it one more or two more times depending on how much rope/cable your winch holds.
And if you have one or two members without a winch you really get a work out.

This hill is about 2 full winch pulls

mdr_42.jpg

You start at the bottom and go as far as you can and then winch the rest of the way.

mdr_43.jpg

This is one of the 3 full winch pull hills. A very few make to to the top without having to pull rope/cable.

mdr_46.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just a 8274 FAN BOY...... This is my 5th 8274 winch I've had installed on different rigs and of all the different winches I've tried it's my favorite. But yes a 9.5XP would be on my list of other choices.

Taking a winch apart really isn't any different than taking the suspension or engine apart on our Jeeps.
It's just learning how they are put together and then figuring out what modifications can be made to improve them.

The guys running dual motors and stuff are in a whole other class. But getting to watch the winching competitions can be fun. Doing TRIALS off-roading in Europe is WAY different than any type of wheeling here in the USA. I use to compete in the local events when I was stationed in Germany.

And having a electrical system for winching more than 30-60 seconds at a time is important for some of us also. There are some parts here near where I live that if the hill is nasty it's 3 full winch pulls to get to the top. This is when having dual batteries and a high output alternator come in handy. Set your hand throttle at 1800-2000 RPM's and then just winch. Stop pull rope/cable and winch again and do it one more or two more times depending on how much rope/cable your winch holds.

View attachment 289399

You start at the bottom and go as far as you can and then winch the rest of the way.

View attachment 289400

This is one of the 3 full winch pull hills. A very few make to to the top without having to pull rope/cable.

View attachment 289401
That doesn't look very fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Plumber1
That doesn't look very fun.

It's a LOT of fun actually. This is Memorial Day weekend most years. Enough snow to make it FUN but it's snotty and wet. These same hills in August and September are dry and dusty and you can walk right up them. I personally LIKE them better when they are wet and snotty as it adds a challenge.
These trails are in the Little Naches area. If you want TOUGH trails you go over to the Rimrock area.

Reactions: Rickyd
It's a LOT of fun actually. This is Memorial Day weekend most years. Enough snow to make it FUN but it's snotty and wet. These same hills in August and September are dry and dusty and you can walk right up them. I personally LIKE them better when they are wet and snotty as it adds a challenge.
These trails are in the Little Naches area. If you want TOUGH trails you go over to the Rimrock area.
There is mud, fun can't be had

There is mud, fun can't be had

Now you sound like those who won't go down a trail if it's WET.....

Sorry but I live in the PNW and it RAINS and SNOWS here so things get WET due to that and when you mix dirt & water you get MUD. So you have two choices....

1) Be like the JK/JL crowd and play at the mall.

2) Man up and deal with wet dirt. It isn't as bad as many make it out to be and honestly it's FUN.

Must have winch to get yourself pulled out when you get temporarily delayed.

At no time during the half-dozen times my TJ was in deep enough mud to notice was it fun for me. Primarily the cleanup afterwards. Our local mud has something in it, probably clay, that makes it nearly impervious to even a pressure washer once it has dried. Dried mud is a frigging nightmare for me.

Mud.JPG

At no time during the half-dozen times my TJ was in deep enough mud to notice was it fun for me. Primarily the cleanup afterwards. Our mud has something in it, probably clay, that makes it nearly impervious to even a pressure washer once it has dried. Dried mud is a frigging nightmare for me.

View attachment 289413

Yep I've dealt with mud in WA, OR, CA, VA, W VA, NC, SC, GA MD & AK just to name a few states and they all have their own kind of mud. But to say it's not fun just isn't how I look at it. Yep it might take me a week to clean it off sometimes even longer but it's still fun.
But for those who don't find it fun then stay home until you need a mask to drive down the trails.

I don't let wet dirt stop me from having FUN & any day out on a trail in a Jeep IMO is FUN.

View attachment 289399

View attachment 289400

View attachment 289401
I bet if you set there on a quiet day you can hear the distinct sound of an 8274 echoing through the trees.

That's an entirely different statement than your "off the shelf winch is hard to beat". You actually even know who Marsden is even though you haven't put two and two together yet. He is the UK announcer for KOH who has come over several times to compete. He is a champion in the UK for many of their off road "winching" events. Winching in quotes since they depend more on their high speed winches than they do vehicle capability. So yes, if you showed up to compete against him with my or your 9.5xp, he would seriously giggle at you and maybe even pin your ears back a bit.
Marsden Gigglepin

added new terminal boots and applied corrosion preventative compound. If you do any wheeling in the wet or live where corrosion is an issue and want your wiring to last I cannot stress the importance of products like NYK77 or Ultra Seal.

What boots do you use? Mine are toast and was researching options. I'm glad I found your post about Ultra Seal and NYK77.

What boots do you use? Mine are toast and was researching options. I'm glad I found your post about Ultra Seal and NYK77.
I use the Warn ones. PN 2090 is the old number for a single boot and 98273 is the new number for a pack of four.

Reactions: pagrey
You have a preferred vendor, I found Gary's Automotive but if you know a better place to throw a few dollars?
I get them from my local Warn dealer. Ideally any Warn dealer can get them but Montana Jacks usually has them in stock.

Reactions: pagrey
Warn now has the upgraded brake shaft available as a service part. You will need to order the shaft PN 106131 and a brake service kit PN 8409 to get all the hardware to make it work.

image.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Wildman
Warn now has the upgraded brake shaft available as a service part. You will need to order the shaft PN 106132 and a brake service kit PN 8409 to get all the hardware to make it work.

View attachment 317839

Glad I haven't started on my winch yet. Guess I've got a few more parts to order now.

Reactions: Blackjack