Blackjacks shop makeover

Picked up some plastic shoe boxes, borrowed the wifes lable maker and fixed the tool cabinet. Also started playing more with the pegboard trying to find things a home.

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

Couple quick tips. Talenti jars are the modern equivalent to baby food jars. They are not just for ultralite backpackers and my girls do like what comes in them so all the better. And they are not glass so that is a bonus for those that are prone to dropping things.

I know some of you in the trades have probably seen this but if you ever fought with zip ties the answer is to put a slit in the bag they come in. That way you can pick out just one at a time and there is no worry of them falling out of the bag.

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

Made a few adjustments to stiffen up the cross boards a touch. Also figured out the my small axe rails needed to be at three inches instead of three and a half so a spacer made for a quick fix.

9A003B56-E50A-4A59-90BB-7658C4C0B11A.jpeg

BDA7B201-EB89-4E74-B8CE-CDC0A8EAA40C.jpeg

Been far too long for an update. Made some changes but nowhere near done for sure. Started with getting the dresser painted got bolt bins set so I can start filling them. Yep there is stuff all over more on that in a moment.

image.jpg

So the big blue bench Is now at a friends because I drug this home. A 1970s Dewalt 740 Radial Arm Saw. I got it for a song because the motor was stuck. As I suspected it had sat so long the brushes were stuck to the armature. Quick shot of electrical cleaner and it fired right up.

E62E9E80-9761-4026-AD06-516C5B54A66A.jpeg

069080A2-C9D3-4480-A4D9-DF7810580678.jpeg

Last edited:
So the new addition means a complete rethink of the south wall and with prices on material at an all time high I am going to do as much as I can with what I can scrounge. So the rolling bench is going to serve double duty as a work surface and as the left hand out feed for the saw. The old desk drawers will become a solid base for the saw. Still have to finish one more wall repair and figure out a covering for it.

image.jpg

To the right of the saw I will build a bench the will be both the out feed and house my miter saw. After that I am going to build a rolling cart to hold the table saw so it can be the out feed for the miter saw and be easier to make use of when I need it. Unfortunately with the vid halting fall progress I have a corner full of stuff to once again deal with.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw this thread, Black. Late to the party, but in for the ride.

Nice work on the shop. I’m a big radial arm saw fan as well. I’ve got a 70’s Craftsman that gets quite a lot of use. I’ve had the thing for over 30 years. Most dangerous tool in the shop!

Last edited:

Nice work one the shop. I’m a big radial arm saw fan as well. I’ve got a 70’s Craftsman that gets quite a lot of use. I’ve had the thing for over 30 years. Most dangerous tool in the shop!
Thanks. I know that RAS get a bad rap but I believe a lot of it is due to a lack of maintenance/setup and poor blade choice.

Nice work on the shop. I’m a big radial arm saw fan as well. I’ve got a 70’s Craftsman that gets quite a lot of use. I’ve had the thing for over 30 years. Most dangerous tool in the shop!
I gave away an old Craftsman 10" RSA. I much prefer my table saw and miter saw.

Back when I worked at a lumberyard, we had an old DeWalt 12" RAS. We all called it the Widowmaker... Holy hell was it powerful though.