Blackjacks shop makeover

Your progress with the shop is impressive. Looks awesome! (y)
Thanks. I have at least got it at a point where I can make better use of it and I can concentrate on organization and workflow management. I know I spend sometimes too much time on layout but I also know that good layout will make things more efficient.

Thanks. I have at least got it at a point where I can make better use of it and I can concentrate on organization and workflow management. I know I spend sometimes too much time on layout but I also know that good layout will make things more efficient.
One of the issues I've encountered is that I focused so much on storage (in the form of heavy duty shelving) that it heavily infringes on my available work space. I have a wall of warehouse-grade shelving where I house everything from seats to engines and transmissions. It's both a blessing and a curse. And btw, you're absolutely correct about the importance of good lighting. I switched over from fluorescent to led lighting, and the difference was incredible. One bank of led lights lit up the garage better than four banks of fluorescents.

Looks real good. I'm sure you'll be happy having a real space to work on projects.

We all need our man caves! 🐻
It has made a big difference already. Going from just being a dry space to a well lit dry space with heat has allowed some honey doos to get accomplished that I could not previously do other than in the summer if the weather is good.

One of the issues I've encountered is that I focused so much on storage (in the form of heavy duty shelving) that it heavily infringes on my available work space. I have a wall of warehouse-grade shelving where I house everything from seats to engines and transmissions. It's both a blessing and a curse. And btw, you're absolutely correct about the importance of good lighting. I switched over from fluorescent to led lighting, and the difference was incredible. One bank of led lights lit up the garage better than four banks of fluorescents.
That was part of my choice for building the overhead storage, I need the wall space for plenty of things other than totes and tents.

Yeah now that I have full use of the floor space it is not too bad. Wish list would make it a few feet wider so it can hold two rigs in the winter but with the our current situation that is a long ways out.
A shop/garage is never big enough. It's just the way it is. ;) I could live in a 1-bedroom house, no problem. But the bigger the garage, the better!

I like the Spicer cabinet!
Is it like the old style tune up cabinets? Lots of dividers and shelves?

I scored an old Autolite tune up cabinet back in the 70’s that was being scrapped.
Looks a bit different today.

B7B23B31-26CB-4A68-9D45-F07C5A695CB5.jpeg

Great job. And yes I totally agree that a shop is NEVER big enough. When I had my garage built I thought it would be great at 24x30. That was until I started to get everything put inside of it and then realized I needed it to be 30x45 & 16' ceilings.

I like the Spicer cabinet!
Is it like the old style tune up cabinets? Lots of dividers and shelves?

I scored an old Autolite tune up cabinet back in the 70’s that was being scrapped.
Looks a bit different today.

View attachment 217838
Now that I know what those are, you've got me searching for one.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Brother I know this one! I installed two shelves, 78x78x24 and 90x90x24, and they suck up major space in a 3+ car garage. Also, I just installed six of these, along 4 4 foot LED lights. More light!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VRDS785/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Tweaked the lighting a little more today. Two of the old bulbs were just looking a bit weak so I picked up two more four foot LEDs for the back work area and moved two of the wing LEDs towards the front.

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

Last edited:
As I alluded to earlier organization has not been a strong suit for me. But I also know that organization will set you free and I am going to put the effort in to make my life more efficient. So I started with cleaning off my job cart so it could actually use it for what it is for. Added a scrap of tool drawer liner and like magic I am no longer laying tool all over the Jeeps fenders.

IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG