Blower Motor Woes

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I know this is a common topic but doing all the searching I can has not lead to the fix yet.

So to start off the blower motor does not work in ANY position.

Found a few melted plugs, the 1”x1” relay socket under dash, fan speed switch and plug, 3 pin plug at temp control switch which switch looked fine.

I have replaced the following:
...Blower motor
...Resister
...Whole dash harness (not the body harness under dash) since a lot of plugs melted at the control panel.
...Fan speed switch
...A melted relay socket, which activates when I take out the what is labled as starter 40a fuse under dash fuse box so no idea how its relevant. I can start it without the relay. see picture 1

I tested to see if I got voltage at the fan plug since I read how it is always hot. I put the black lead of the multimeter to the ground on battery and the red lead to both pins of the plug and got no reading. Then did the opposite, put the black lead on the pins of the fan plug and red lead on positive terminal of battery and got a 12v reading.

Took the resister plug out, put red to a 12v hot source and black to the pin with the tan wire and got a 12v reading.

Verified there was a source in the 2 relay plugs behind the glove box and could get 12v readings on the sources. Got 12v reading at switch pins 3 and 6 by sticking black lead in both slots and red lead on hot. See picture 2 and 3 Also bench tested both relays and they work.

Checked all fuses to be good, and checked to make sure there was 12v coming from them and there is.

So that is all the info I have and still cant get the blower motor to work.

8AED96AA-0C62-46E6-AC7F-89EBC734D46B.jpeg

E109C14C-7673-46C7-9622-1D85EBC6871F.jpeg

C0C3C918-377E-4E87-8D75-8ACBBD00ECB3.jpeg

OK...we have an issue right off. Unless you are using an analog (swinging needle) meter, you should get a voltage reading either way you connect the meter. If the leads are "reversed", you will just see a negative number, like "-12.8".
Let me go look at the wiring diagram and I'll give you a plan on what to do. Meanwhile, please recheck that power to the blower motor.

Oh yeah, you should not need to go all the way back to the battery for the ground/negative connection. Any metal bit of the body will do (dash screws are not necessarily grounded). Just make sure you have good contact with the metal (paint and rust do not conduct worth a poo).

Sorry for the delay, having internet issues :(

So, yes, one side of the blower motor is connected, through the blower motor relay and a fuse to the battery.
1) If the key is in the ON position and the fuse is good, you should have 12 volts (probably closer to 12.6 - 12.8 if the engine is not running and over 14 if it is) on the "hot" wire to the blower. To test it, put your red meter lead in the connector and the black lead to any good ground. Remember that painted surfaces can be really fiddly about making good connection so you may have to scratch around a bit to make good contact.
If you can consistently read 12V on one lead (or both, if the motor is plugged in) of the motor connector, keep going to step 2. If you can't , that's your problem and you should check your relay, relay connections, the wire between the relay and the motor and between the fuse and the relay, the fuse, and the fuse holder. You do this by starting at the battery side of the fuse to see if it has 12V. If so, check the other side of the fuse (might require a paper clip probe). From there, check the input side of the blower relay, then the output side (when the ignition is in the ON position). If you have power there but not at the blower motor connection, the wire between them is bad.
2) If you have 12V on one side of the motor connector, and your motor won't run, then the probable issue (unless the connector itself is bad/melted/corroded is that the ground side is not working the way it should. Essentially, as the motor speed setting is increased, the motor speed switch connects less and less resistance between the vehicle ground and the "ground" side of the motor connector. At high speed, the "ground" side of the connector should be shorted directly to the vehicle ground. EDIT: sorry, thought I had finished this step...so, with the ignition in OFF, put the blower switch in the high position and check for continuity (meter should have a setting for that. If not switch to lowest resistance range [or just resistance/ohms if auto-ranging]) between the non-hot motor connector and vehicle ground. It should be a short (full continuity/less than 2 ohms). If it is not, there is an issue in the wiring, connectors, or ground connection (really beginning to think this may be it) for that side of the circuit. It's a hole other set of test points so ping back if you get to that point and I'll post up more.

Last edited:
One other thing, please update your profile to set the basics of your TJ (like the year). Some things do change from year to year and it can save someone who is trying to answer your question a bunch of time and guessing (or unnecessary "if you have a year X, then do this" sort of mucking about. ;)

Reactions: reddvltj
Sorry for the delay, having internet issues :(

So, yes, one side of the blower motor is connected, through the blower motor relay and a fuse to the battery.
1) If the key is in the ON position and the fuse is good, you should have 12 volts (probably closer to 12.6 - 12.8 if the engine is not running and over 14 if it is) on the "hot" wire to the blower. To test it, put your red meter lead in the connector and the black lead to any good ground. Remember that painted surfaces can be really fiddly about making good connection so you may have to scratch around a bit to make good contact.
If you can consistently read 12V on one lead (or both, if the motor is plugged in) of the motor connector, keep going to step 2. If you can't , that's your problem and you should check your relay, relay connections, the wire between the relay and the motor and between the fuse and the relay, the fuse, and the fuse holder. You do this by starting at the battery side of the fuse to see if it has 12V. If so, check the other side of the fuse (might require a paper clip probe). From there, check the input side of the blower relay, then the output side (when the ignition is in the ON position). If you have power there but not at the blower motor connection, the wire between them is bad.
2) If you have 12V on one side of the motor connector, and your motor won't run, then the probable issue (unless the connector itself is bad/melted/corroded is that the ground side is not working the way it should. Essentially, as the motor speed setting is increased, the motor speed switch connects less and less resistance between the vehicle ground and the "ground" side of the motor connector. At high speed, the "ground" side of the connector should be shorted directly to the vehicle ground. EDIT: sorry, thought I had finished this step...so, with the ignition in OFF, put the blower switch in the high position and check for continuity (meter should have a setting for that. If not switch to lowest resistance range [or just resistance/ohms if auto-ranging]) between the non-hot motor connector and vehicle ground. It should be a short (full continuity/less than 2 ohms). If it is not, there is an issue in the wiring, connectors, or ground connection (really beginning to think this may be it) for that side of the circuit. It's a hole other set of test points so ping back if you get to that point and I'll post up more.

Good point, I will get the info all updated.

So was able to get a constant 12.8 out of the connector with the black lead grounded on the AC line. So with that said, where would should I start looking for ground issues? Is there a ground that connects to the body behind the dash that is the ground source for that circuit? I had the dash on and off a few times last weekend so I can get it off fairly quick at this point so I can look again if needed. But I did not see any grounds around that area.

OK...so a 2000...that helps. However, the 2 or 3 rum 'n cokes I've had since then has not 🥴:LOL:

If you have not already done so, go to the field service manuals page of the resources section
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/and grab the 2000-2001 Service Manual (and the 2000 Parts List while you're there).

On page 8W-42-2, you will see the wiring for the blower motor. The ground begins at G202 which is a BK (black) wire [one of two on the connector]. This ground probably connects to the body somewhere but I have not run it down so, if it's not showing as shorted to the body/chassis, you will just have to physically trace it down.
If this connection shows as shorted (continuity / very low resistance) to body/chassis ground, move on to the next step...if not, hunt it down and find out why not (broken/cut wire, bad crimp, simply not screwed down to body).
If it does show as grounded, move on to connection between C3-B and C1-E. This connection has nothing inline with it so it's just a single wire. Check for ground at C1-E and, if not there, it's one of the connectors or the wire.
If ground is good at C1-E, place the blower speed control to high and test for ground at C1-A. If it's good, check at the blower motor resistor connector C-7 (black/tan wire). If it's good, you have an issue with the wire from there to the motor (probably at connector C205) or the splice S208. If no ground at blower motor resistor connector C-7, the problem has to be in the black/tan wire from it back to connector C205 - 7, the connector itself, or the black/tan wire from there to AC/Heater control C1-A.

If this made no sense at all or you need more help, just ask.

So I have yet to check all the ground connections for continuity, checked a few listed and will continue to knock them out but with everything plugged in, mode selector in anything but off, I get a reading from ground pin on fan plug to battery directly and to a random engine bay threaded hole. Get ground on both the grounds which I think are G202 and G200 that are below the dash speakers to a random bolt on the windshiled hinge. I am not very good with electronics yet, just learmed to stop sticking forks in sockets so a step in the right direction! I am using cheapie Harbor Freight multi meter but it does atleast show something.

8E9D56A9-C0CF-4361-A978-E93DF07628DA.jpeg

Last edited:
I should also mention bench tested the new motor just to make sure and it works when hooked to battery directly it worked.

Cool. For checking continuity (if point A is connected to point B), set your meter on the lowest resistance setting which, on your meter is 200 Ω (Ohms). That would be two clicks counter-clockwise from the setting it was in in your pic.
With that setting, you should read very low numbers (less than 1.0) when something is directly connected. In general, you will likely read about 0.3 or less if your probes have good contact. I just went out and read the resistance between the metal around the ignition key hole and one of the bolts on the passenger's side of the dash (the ones that hold the dash to the body) and got 0.2 Ohms. A windshield bolt should be a great ground.

I'm sure that there is nothing wrong with your motor and, if you want to see it actually work (just for fun), strip of 1/2 inch of insulation of a piece of multi-strand wire, stick that into the ground side of the motor connector when you push it on the motor. Then, with the ignition in the ON position, briefly touch the other end of the wire to a ground. The motor should immediately jump to full speed.
It's this ground line (albeit, through some speed-selecting switches and resistors) that we are trying to get working again.

Cool. For checking continuity (if point A is connected to point B), set your meter on the lowest resistance setting which, on your meter is 200 Ω (Ohms). That would be two clicks counter-clockwise from the setting it was in in your pic.
With that setting, you should read very low numbers (less than 1.0) when something is directly connected. In general, you will likely read about 0.3 or less if your probes have good contact. I just went out and read the resistance between the metal around the ignition key hole and one of the bolts on the passenger's side of the dash (the ones that hold the dash to the body) and got 0.2 Ohms. A windshield bolt should be a great ground.

I'm sure that there is nothing wrong with your motor and, if you want to see it actually work (just for fun), strip of 1/2 inch of insulation of a piece of multi-strand wire, stick that into the ground side of the motor connector when you push it on the motor. Then, with the ignition in the ON position, briefly touch the other end of the wire to a ground. The motor should immediately jump to full speed.
It's this ground line (albeit, through some speed-selecting switches and resistors) that we are trying to get working again.

Well tried multiple ways of by passing certain areas to get the motor to run without directly powering the motor. I tried sticking some wire in the motor plug on the ground side and plugged it in. There was continuity from the installed wire to the bk/tn wire at the resistor plug so it should have been contacting the motor I would think. Then took the installed wire and tried to ground it at various spots and to the battery directly and nothing happend.

Tried to see if maybe it was the hot side ans went from the green wire at the relay to the battery and still nothing.

I am thinking it might just come down to needing to swap the body harness under the fash as well.

This is starting to bug me. We should be able to figure out where the failure is. I'm going to make a step-by-step checklist for tracing it down.
Meanwhile, are you doing this testing with the motor out of the A/C enclosure? If it is in the enclosure, are you certain it's not being jammed somehow and can't physically turn?

OK. I'm hoping this will be a good general guide for troubleshooting A/C / Heater blower failure issues so I'm making it pretty thorough. Note that if you're fan runs at only high speed or just some of the higher speeds, it's almost certain to be the blower motor resistor block and you should start there...if that does not fix it, it's the blower speed switch or some connector/wiring issue between the switch and the resistor block.

I'm still going to be adding a bit of background and general knowledge stuff to this but I think it's complete for what it covers. If anyone finds an error, please let me know. Once it's nailed down, I'll be putting it in it's own "how to troubleshoot blower motor problems" thread.

Before continuing, familiarize yourself with the terms and symbols used in the wiring diagrams as well as some basics of diagnosis and testing by reading pages 8W – 01 – 1 through 8W – 01 – 10. in the 2000-2001 Factory Service Manual available for download here.
Drawings of each connector with pinouts can be found on pages 8W – 80 – 4 through 8W – 80 – 42 and drawings of the physical locations of each connector and ground connection is in the next section (8W – 90).
One thing I should add is that almost no one uses analog (swinging needle) meters anymore because digital meters are so cheap and are far easier to use. Two things you should know to use a digital meter; how to check for voltage and how to check for continuity:
1 - Checking for voltage. Refer to the fig. 4 on page 8W - 01 - 9 of the FSM. Your meter should be connected the same way but, for a digital meter, it will read the voltage as an actual number like "12.8" for 12.8 volts and, if you get the leads reversed, it will work fine, it will just show negative voltage like "-12.8". If your meter has selectable ranges like this HF model
1596944310007.png

then select the 20 volt DC setting (two clicks counter-clockwise from the position shown) and connect the black lead to the COM connector and the red lead to the VΩmA connector.

If you have an auto-ranging meter like this simple Amazon model
1596944662445.png

then select the DC Volts (one click clockwise from the OFF position shown).

1 - Checking for continuity. Refer to the fig. 5 on page 8W - 01 - 9 of the FSM. Your meter should be connected the same way but, for a digital meter, it will read the resistance as an actual number like "0.3" for 0.3 Ohms and, if you get the leads reversed, it makes no difference. For a meter with selectable ranges, set it to the lowest resistance (Ω) range which is usually 200 Ohms. For auto-ranging meters, just select the resistance (Ω) function.
If a meter reads infinite resistance (no connection), it will show a specific display but that display varies from meter to meter...some will display "OL" (over limit), some will show a 1 with no decimal, etc. To find out what your meter displays with infinite resistance, just put it into any resistance (Ω) scale/mode with the leads not connected to anything...it will show its open-circuit/infinite resistance display.
Note: never test for continuity on a powered circuit. Always turn it off or disconnect it first.

First, unplug your blower motor, put the ignition in the ON position, the blower speed to high/max, and the A/C heater mode control to anything except OFF. Put your voltmeter between the two contacts in the blower motor connector. If you get 12 volts (probably more like 12.8 [or higher if engine is running]), then you probably have a bad motor. Either the blower motor is bad or there is at least one bad connection in the wiring that is failing under load. You can “bench test” the blower motor by taking it out and connecting its contacts directly to a battery or high-current (40 Amp) 12V power source…if it runs, you have a bad connection somewhere in either the 12V or Ground side circuits. To determine which one, you will almost certainly have to start probing for voltage at certain points with everything connected, which means cutting wires or probing into the backs of connectors and that's a whole other checklist that I will have to consider...if there is any demand.

The step-by-step below is in two parts; one to troubleshoot the 12V side of the motor connection and the other to troubleshoot the ground side.

I am using the wiring diagram for a 2000 TJ which is on page 8W-42-2 (heater only) or 8W-42-4 (A/C + heater) of the 2000-2001 Factory Service Manual available for download on this site here. Other years should be very similar though you may want to compare your year's manual to the 2000-2001 manual to verify wire colors and connector numbers.

As you go through these steps, be aware that any wire or connector that is burned, melted, bent, broken, or corroded is likely a problem.

12V side: The Jeep's battery must be connected in order to do these tests.
1. Unplug the blower motor connector and, with the ignition in the ON position, check for 12V at the blower motor connector contact A (dark green wire). If present, skip to step 1 of the Ground side checklist, otherwise continue to step 2. Leave the connector off of the motor for now.
2. Unplug the blower motor relay and, with the ignition in the ON position, check for 12V at the #4 contact (red / light green wire) of the connector. If NOT present, skip to step 4 otherwise, continue to step 3.
3. Turn off the ignition. Use a piece of scrap wire or a paper clip to short contacts #1 (dark green wire) and #4 (red / light green wire) together. Let it hang carefully to insure it won’t touch anything. Connect your meter back to contact A (dark green wire) of the blower motor connector and ground and then turn the key to ON.
a. If you still do not get 12V, either the blower motor connector is bad or so corroded that you can’t get good contact with your jumper wire or the dark green wire going from it to the motor connector is bad (burned out, cut, corroded out).
b. If you DO now get 12V, either the blower motor relay connector is damaged or corroded in such a way that it is not properly working with the relay but will work with the piece of wire you inserted, or the relay itself is bad, or the relay is not being energized. Check for corrosion or physical damage on the connector’s contacts and on the relay’s contacts. If you get it to work by cleaning, remember that, due to the high currents involved, iffy connections here may overheat, causing a fire…it’s best to just replace any damaged or corroded parts (relay or relay connector).
To check for the relay being energized:
i. Place your meter on contact #5 (dark blue/white wire) of the relay connector to see if you get 12V. If you DO get 12 volts go to step 3.a.ii. If you do NOT, the relay is not being energized due to a 12V issue...
1. Trace down the dark blue/white wire to find connector C205, disconnect it and test for 12 volts at the far side of contact 9 (red / dark green wire). If it dose NOT have 12V, go to step 3.b.i.2. If it DOSE have 12V, the connector or the wire from it to the relay (dark brown / white) is bad.
2. Check fuse #8 in the fuse block (behind the glove box). This is a 10A fuse and you should be able to probe both sides of it because they run the contact of each side up through the fuse's plastic body so you can do just that. Note the little rectangular probe points on ether side of the "10" on this fuse:
1596939896849.png

If you don't get 12V on either side, there is a problem with your fuse block (no power to it, corroded, etc.)...pull the fuse and check for visible issues. If you can't see anything, now would be time to get someone familiar with automotive electrics involved as this problem would be pretty high current and could be a big fire hazard if not fixed properly.
If you get 12V on one side of the fuse but not the other, the fuse is bad. Replace it, test your blower and, if still not operating, start over at step 1.
If you get 12V on both sides, trace the red / dark green wire from the C205 connector you found in step 3.b.i.1 back to connector C202. Unplug C202 and check for 12V at the A1 contact, opposite the red / dark green wire that goes back to C205 (it may also be red / dark green, the manual does not specify...or it may be that C202 connects directly to the back of the fuse block). If you do NOT have 12V here, we again have a fuse block issue that will require an experienced hand to deal with it. If you DO have 12V here, C202 or the red / dark green wire(s) is/are bad.
ii. Check for continuity between the #2 contact (black wire) of the relay connector and ground. If you get continuity, the relay is being energized. If you do not get continuity, the black wire ther, connector C205 (contact 10), or the grounding point G200 is bad/corroded/broken/cut.
4. Trace the red / light green wire back from the relay connector to find connector C205. Unplug this connector and check for 12V at the far side of contact #8 (red / light blue). If it does NOT have 12V, go to step 5. If it DOES have 12V, then C205 or the red / light green wire is bad.
5. Reconnect C205. Trace the red / light blue wire back from C205 to connector C202. Disconnect C202 and check for 12V on the contact on the other side from the red / light blue wire (manual does not indicate a color). If it does NOT have 12V, go to step 6. If it Does have 12V, connector C202 or the red / light blue is bad.
6. The manual indicates that there is one more connector; C106 between this point and the power distribution center (fuse box under hood). Locate that connector and verify contact #12 (again, no color specified) on the distrib center side has 12V. If it does NOT, check the 40A fuse #1 in the distib center box, if it is good, you have an issue in your distribution center box and, again, you would need to get a qualified automotive electrician envolved. If it DOES have 12V, we're back to a distribution center issue and the need to get a qualified automotive electrician involved.

Ground side: You can do these tests with the battery negative terminal disconnected, if you wish.
1. With the ignition off, and the blower motor speed control set to high, and the heater mode control set to anything other than OFF, unplug the blower motor connector and, test for continuity between the B contact (not sure of the color of the wire but it's the one that is not dark green) and a good ground (remember, the battery negative is not a good ground if you disconnected it 😊). Any clean non-painted surface of the body (avoid using the hood) to which you can make positive contact should be good. Sometimes you have to really push and scrape a little to get good contact. If you do NOT get continuity to ground, go to step 2. If you DO get continuity to ground, then the ground side is working. Assuming you already did the 12V side checks and you have 12V at the A contact of the blower motor connector, then, either the blower motor is bad or there is at least one bad connection that is failing under load. You can “bench test” the blower motor by taking it out and connecting its contacts directly to a battery or high-current (40 Amp) 12V power source…if it runs, you have a bad connection somewhere in either the 12V or Ground side circuits. To determine which one, you will almost certainly have to start probing for voltage at certain points with everything connected, which means cutting wires or probing into the backs of connectors.
2. To be here, you should have NOT had continuity on contact B of the blower motor connector to ground.
Remember, the blower speed control needs to be on the High setting and the heater mode control set to anything other than OFF. Leave the motor connector unplugged for now. Remove and unplug the Blower Motor Resistor Block from its connector. Check for continuity between contact #4 (black / tan wire) of that connector and ground. If you do NOT get continuity, go on to step 3. If you DO get continuity, then the black / tan wire going from that connector or the shunt S208 going to the blower motor connector is bad (burned/broken/cut/corroded out). Trace it down and repair/replace the wiring.
3. You can reconnect and re-mount the resistor block. Pull out the A/C heater control module from the dash (here’s a vid but, unless you are replacing the entire module, DO NOT disconnect the vacuum lines as shown in the video because those tangs are pretty easy to break. If you want to pull the control all the way out, just yank the knob off and unscrew the vacuum control from the back of the module). Unplug the electrical connector C1 to the blower speed switch. Check for continuity from the contact on the switch (not the connector) that goes to the brown / tan wire (contact A) to ground. If you do NOT have continuity, go on to step 4. If you DO have continuity, the connector is bad/corroded, or the brown / tan wire is burned/cut/broken/corroded through at the connector or between it and connector C205, or connector C205 is bad/melted/corroded (trace down the wires to find that connector and test it for continuity from the contact attached to the brown / tan wire to ground).
4. Check for continuity from contact E in the C1 connector (dark green wire) to ground. If you do NOT have continuity, go on to step 5. If you DO have continuity, the switch is bad…to verify, check for continuity between the contacts E (dark green wire) and contact A (brown/tan wire) on the switch [remember, this all needs to be done with the speed switch in the high position, and the heater mode control set to anything other than OFF]…if no continuity, the switch is bad… if continuity, retest from the top of step 3.
5. Disconnect the C3 connector (dark green, light green, and black wires) and check for continuity from the contact B (goes to dark green wire) on the switch/module to ground. If no continuity, go to step 6. If you do have continuity, either connector C3 is bad, the dark green wire is bad (it’s just a jumper between connectors C1 and C3) or connector C3 (specifically contact E) is bad.
6. On the module, check for continuity between contact B (the one that goes to the dark green wire) and contact C (the one that goes to the black wire). If you have continuity, go to step 7. If no continuity, the mode switch is bad. You can retest it in any of the other positions (except off) to see if any of them give continuity and, if they do, see if the blower will work with it in that position. If it will then you know the switch is the only issue.
7. Check for continuity from the C (black wire) contact of the C3 connector to ground. If you do NOT have continuity, the C3 connector or the black wire is bad or the ground point G202 (at the other end of the black wire) is corroded/disconnected/broken. If you DO have continuity, we missed something along the way because that all there is. You can try unplugging and visually re-checking all of the connectors mentioned in all the steps to see if any are corroded/burned/melted/damaged.

Last edited:
This is starting to bug me. We should be able to figure out where the failure is. I'm going to make a step-by-step checklist for tracing it down.
Meanwhile, are you doing this testing with the motor out of the A/C enclosure? If it is in the enclosure, are you certain it's not being jammed somehow and can't physically turn?

I have tested it in the enclosure by hooking alligator clips to the pins on the motor and other end to battery directly and the motor does work in the enclosure.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
OK. I'm hoping this will be a good general guide for troubleshooting fan failure issues so I'm making it pretty thorough. Note that if you're fan runs at only high speed or just some of the higher speeds, it's almost certain to be your blower motor resistor block and you should start there...if that does not fix it, it's the blower speed switch or some connector/wiring issue between the switch and the resistor block.

The step-by-step below is in two parts; one to troubleshoot the 12V side of the motor connection and one to troubleshoot the ground side.

I'm still working on the 12V side part and the parts in italic are reminders to me to continue there :) The Ground side checklist is (I hope) complete. I figure I'll work on completing it this evening but I wanted to get the Ground side out here for @XCRN.

First, unplug your blower motor, put the ignition in the ON position, the blower speed to high/max, and the A/C heater mode control to anything except OFF. Put your voltmeter between the two contacts in the blower motor connector. If you get 12 volts (probably more like 12.8 [or higher if engine is running]), then you probably have a bad motor. Either the blower motor is bad or there is at least one bad connection in the wiring that is failing under load. You can “bench test” the blower motor by taking it out and connecting its contacts directly to a battery or high-current (40 Amp) 12V power source…if it runs, you have a bad connection somewhere in either the 12V or Ground side circuits. To determine which one, you will almost certainly have to start probing for voltage at certain points with everything connected, which means cutting wires or probing into the backs of connectors and that's a whole other checklist that I will have to consider...if there is any demand.

I'm am using the wiring diagram for a 2000 TJ which is on page 8W-42-2 (heater only) or 8W-42-4 (A/C + heater) of the 2000-2001 Factory Service Manual available for download on this site here https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/
Other years should be very similar though you may want to compare your year's manual to the 200-2001 manual to verify wire colors and connector numbers.

As you go through these steps, be aware that any wire or connector that is burned, melted, bent, or corroded is likely a problem.

12V side: The Jeep's battery must be connected in order to do these tests.
1. Unplug the blower motor connector and, with the ignition in the ON position, check for 12V at the blower motor connector contact A (dark green wire). If present, skip to step 1 of the Ground side checklist, otherwise continue to step 2.
2. Unplug the blower motor relay and, with the ignition in the ON position, check for 12V at the #4 contact (red / light green wire) of the connector. If NOT present, skip to step 4 otherwise, continue to step 3.
3. Turn off the ignition. Use a piece of scrap wire or a paper clip to short contacts #1 (dark green wire) and #4 (red / light green wire) together. Let it hang carefully to insure it won’t touch anything. Connect your meter back to contact A (dark green wire) of the blower motor connector and then turn the key to ON.
a. If you still do not get 12V, either the blower motor connector is bad or so corroded that you can’t get good contact with your jumper wire or the dark green wire going from it to the motor connector is bad (burned out, cut).
b. If you do now get 12V, >note to me: CHECK FOR RELAY NOT BEING ENERGIZED< either the blower motor relay connector is damaged or corroded in such a way that it is not properly working with the relay but will work with the piece of wire you inserted OR the relay itself is bad. Check for corrosion or physical damage on the connector’s contacts and on the relay’s contacts. If you get it to work by cleaning, remember that, due to the high currents involved, iffy connections here may overheat, causing a fire…it’s best to just replace any damaged or corroded parts (relay or relay connector).
4. Check for 12V at the …TWO CONNECTORS AND FUSE 1 IN THE DISTIB

Ground side: You can do these tests with the battery negative terminal disconnected, if you wish.
1. With the ignition off, and the blower motor speed control set to high, and the heater mode control set to anything other than OFF, unplug the blower motor connector and, test for continuity between the B contact (not sure of the color of the wire but it's the one that is not dark green) and a good ground (remember, the battery negative is not a good ground if you disconnected it 😊). Any clean non-painted surface of the body (avoid using the hood) to which you can make positive contact should be good. Sometimes you have to really push and scrape a little to get good contact. If you do NOT get continuity to ground, go to step 2. If you DO get continuity to ground, then the ground side is working. Assuming you already did the 12V side checks and you have 12V at the A contact of the blower motor connector, then, either the blower motor is bad or there is at least one bad connection that is failing under load. You can “bench test” the blower motor by taking it out and connecting its contacts directly to a battery or high-current (40 Amp) 12V power source…if it runs, you have a bad connection somewhere in either the 12V or Ground side circuits. To determine which one, you will almost certainly have to start probing for voltage at certain points with everything connected, which means cutting wires or probing into the backs of connectors.
2. To be here, you should have NOT had continuity on contact B of the blower motor connector to ground.
Remember, the blower speed control needs to be on the High setting and the heater mode control set to anything other than OFF. Leave the motor connector unplugged for now. Remove and unplug the Blower Motor Resistor Block from its connector. Check for continuity between contact #4 (black / tan wire) of that connector and ground. If you do NOT get continuity, go on to step 3. If you DO get continuity, then the black / tan wire going from that connector or the shunt S208 going to the blower motor connector is bad (burned/broken/cut/corroded out). Trace it down and repair/replace the wiring.
3. You can reconnect and re-mount the resistor block. Pull out the A/C heater control module from the dash (here’s a vid but, unless you are replacing the entire module, DO NOT disconnect the vacuum lines as shown in the video because those tangs are pretty easy to break. If you want to pull the control all the way out, just yank the knob off and unscrew the vacuum control from the back of the module). Unplug the electrical connector C1 to the blower speed switch. Check for continuity from the contact on the switch (not the connector) that goes to the brown / tan wire (contact A) to ground. If you do NOT have continuity, go on to step 4. If you DO have continuity, the connector is bad/corroded, or the brown / tan wire is burned/cut/broken/corroded through at the connector or between it and connector C205, or connector C205 is bad/melted/corroded (trace down the wires to find that connector and test it for continuity from the contact attached to the brown / tan wire to ground).
4. Check for continuity from contact E in the C1 connector (dark green wire) to ground. If you do NOT have continuity, go on to step 5. If you DO have continuity, the switch is bad…to verify, check for continuity between the contacts E (dark green wire) and contact A (brown/tan wire) on the switch [remember, this all needs to be done with the speed switch in the high position, and the heater mode control set to anything other than OFF]…if no continuity, the switch is bad… if continuity, retest from the top of step 3.
5. Disconnect the C3 connector (dark green, light green, and black wires) and check for continuity from the contact B (goes to dark green wire) on the switch/module to ground. If no continuity, go to step 6. If you do have continuity, either connector C3 is bad, the dark green wire is bad (it’s just a jumper between connectors C1 and C3) or connector C3 (specifically contact E) is bad.
6. On the module, check for continuity between contact B (the one that goes to the dark green wire) and contact C (the one that goes to the black wire). If you have continuity, go to step 7. If no continuity, the mode switch is bad. You can retest it in any of the other positions (except off) to see if any of them give continuity and, if they do, see if the blower will work with it in that position. If it will then you know the switch is the only issue.
7. Check for continuity from the C (black wire) contact of the C3 connector to ground. If you do NOT have continuity, the C3 connector or the black wire is bad or the ground point G202 (at the other end of the black wire) is corroded/disconnected/broken. If you DO have continuity, we missed something along the way because that all there is. You can try unplugging and visually re-checking all of the connectors mentioned in all the steps to see if any are corroded/burned/melted/damaged.
Very nice, well thought out write up!!

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I'm still going to be adding a bit of background and general knowledge stuff to the checklist in post #14, but I think it's basically complete for now.

Well I have some excellent news. Finally got it to work. Went through the whole process of the write up and everything was checking out fine. Motor bench tested fine so that made me look into the idea of the connections being bad. I looked at all the connections and nothing seemed bad after I swapped the harness. I made a little jumper wires to go from fan plug to fam and it worked so that gave me the for sure that it was bad at the plug. I looked at the motor pins and they seemed fine except one pin looked slightly canted to the side. Gave it a slight bend and plugged it in and it worked! So a stupid little mistake I made doing the heater core awhile ago. Seriosuly thansk for all the help TJ Hunnicut! And my mom told me to not trust strangers over the internet pfft