Booster pack recommendations

^^ It was this buzz on the Internet that steered me away from Micro Start and toward the Noco Genius.

As I recall, the units being sold by Amazon were not counterfeit in the sense of being copies or clones, but were actual Micro Start units being sold outside Micro Start's authorized distribution network at a substantially lower price.

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch
Although the "super cap" jump starters are down to $140, that is still double what I paid for a Noco Genius GB40 three years ago.

I think I'll stick with my Lithium Ion jump pack for awhile longer.
I’m in the same boat since I have that exact battery also.

As I recall, the units being sold by Amazon were not counterfeit in the sense of being copies or clones, but were actual Micro Start units being sold outside Micro Start's authorized distribution network at a substantially lower price.

I thought I read where the owner of Micro Start explained the problem, and I forget the details. Whatever the issue, it resulted in Micro Start adding serial numbers to their units.

I do and it failed miserably at jump starting the diesel when both batteries died recently. I am not sure if I was expecting too much or what but given the success of the miniscule no name version I also have, I did figure that the big one would do much better.

Working as a technician at a dealership I need a boost pack. I have always owned a full sized booster pack and aside from it being heavy, never a problem.
Fast forward a few years I let the tool guy talk me into a NOCO GB70 box. What a mistake. The first one lasted about 3 months and wouldn't power up. The second and third replacements wouldn't take a charge. The fourth and final one wouldn't go into boost mode. Thankfully they kept replacing it under warranty.
I finally gave it back and got a tool credit.
Several of the other techs also had problems with theirs. It's a great concept but needs to be made better.

Reactions: reddvltj
My experience has been hit and miss...

I own one for each car and Jeep that I have...

The first one I purchased ( most expensive and poorest quality) was a Micro Start by Anti Gravity Batteries. I paid a fair bit more for it but figured it was a quality unit. My mistake. I had to exchange it twice due to a swelling battery that swelled so bad it cracked the case. This happened when it was unplugged and sitting on the shelf in my garage.

It was like pulling teeth to get the unit replaced under their warranty. They certainly felt that they were doing me a favor in replacing a defective product that became a fire hazard well within their warranty period. - However, third time was a charm and I now have a fully functioning unit.

Like a glutton for punishment, a few years later I bought another based on good reviews and giving the benefit of the doubt that they may have improved their product, and so far so good.

However, I also purchased an “Aickar” brand from amazon for about half the price of the Antigravity Micro Start and it will crank a dead as a door nail 1970 Nova with a 350 or spin my TJ 4.0 like a top.

This experience leaves me feeling like the batteries are not much different based on brand name. The cables between the two kits are of equal quality. The extra I paid for the antigravity micro start name did not translate to a better product or better service.