Boots

Ive got a pair of red wing steel toes (similar to the dynaforce). They're comfortable and waterproof. Ive had them for 6 years now. They don't get worn every day, but when they do, its usually for weeks at a time when I am on a restoration/construction project. The steel toe makes them heavy, but at the time I bought them the company I worked for required a steel toe. They're also a short 6". Indoor activities, I don't think its a problem. Outdoor, I get water, seeds, dirt, etc...all down and into the boot which isn't fun.

Another pair that I recently bought to replace the red wings (and so far like) are comp toe Tony Lama cowboy boots with a square toe. Also waterproof. I've always had a pair of cowboy boots and wanted to get back into them for a work boot. I've had these for about a year now and wear them maybe every other day on projects, both around the house and for work. The comp toe is something I prefer (if a safety toe is needed), they're so much lighter than a steel toe. These are 11" tall and work well for the work I do outside. The only downside so far in my opinion, is the "cooling lining" they have all throughout the boot. Its comfortable, but it really causes my feet to stink once I take them off...

Unless steel toes are required, I use these for everything. YMMV and all that...

s-l1200.jpeg

These are really nice looking

Do you have wedge shaped sole for concrete floors or do you still get the normal heel?

I have the normal heel on the 2 pair I have and use the most. I have another pair of Thorogood square steel toes with the wedge sole that I like the soles a lot on the concrete.

They are softer and will wear quicker but worth it in my case with my hips and back. The square toe not really a fan of because of my f'd up feet and they are heavy. Next resole I'm going to see if they can put a wedge sole on them.

I want to try composite toe boots when I order a pair this year, safety toes are mandatory in our facility.

Reactions: lBasket
I used to be very hard on footwear because I walked a lot, and many times, it was with a pack on (I still like to do that, but my joints are shot, so it's not easy). When I buy a pair of boots for walking, I want them to last for years, and then be able to get them re-soled. The reason for this is that good boots that fit well are hard to find, and manufacturers change designs frequently, so a model that fits now may not fit the next time you buy it. I wore Keens 20 years ago when they first came on the market. They cannot easily be re-soled. They also used bad plastics and horrible adhesives. Maybe that's improved, but I doubt it with all the water-based crap out there in these enviro-nazi days. I could easily break a pair in a few months. After the second pair failed, I stopped buying them, even for daily wear. That's a shame because they really fit my feet well.

I then switched to Danners. Danners were great, but over the last 15-20 years, they've turned to junk. At first, I discovered that their import boots were crap. Like the Keens, I cracked and delaminated a sole within months of purchase. So I switched to the US-made boots at a higher price. The last pair I bought, the mid sole deteriorated like a sun-checked tire (crap material again), after a couple years, so I had them re-soled. That sole did the same thing, but quicker. I no longer buy Danners.

The boots I've been wearing for the last nine years (bought them in late 2015) are Red Wings, from their Heritage line. I wore the soles out in early 2020 (so they lasted 4-1/2 years) and had them re-soled. These soles are still going strong. Sadly, they no longer sell new boots with that Vibram sole, but they will re-sole them for me with that sole (for now, anyway).

The Red Wing Heritage series has turned "urban lumberjack" in the last few years, so hopefully they are still solid boots. My almost 10-year old pair is the best pair of every-day boots I've ever owned. The downside is price, but any good, US-made boot is going to be expensive. The US-made Danners are about the same price, but they pale in comparison.

• Wow
Ive got a pair of red wing steel toes (similar to the dynaforce). They're comfortable and waterproof. Ive had them for 6 years now. They don't get worn every day, but when they do, its usually for weeks at a time when I am on a restoration/construction project. The steel toe makes them heavy, but at the time I bought them the company I worked for required a steel toe. They're also a short 6". Indoor activities, I don't think its a problem. Outdoor, I get water, seeds, dirt, etc...all down and into the boot which isn't fun.

Another pair that I recently bought to replace the red wings (and so far like) are comp toe Tony Lama cowboy boots with a square toe. Also waterproof. I've always had a pair of cowboy boots and wanted to get back into them for a work boot. I've had these for about a year now and wear them maybe every other day on projects, both around the house and for work. The comp toe is something I prefer (if a safety toe is needed), they're so much lighter than a steel toe. These are 11" tall and work well for the work I do outside. The only downside so far in my opinion, is the "cooling lining" they have all throughout the boot. Its comfortable, but it really causes my feet to stink once I take them off...

I didn't end up looking at red wings, I really should have. I am really enjoying 6" so far for casual+working mixed.

You're another guy wearing cowboy shoes and work shoes... I honestly had no idea that was so common. Guess it makes sense, but not something I even considered at all. I'm not cowboy enough anyways though

Unless steel toes are required, I use these for everything. YMMV and all that...

View attachment 517181

My buddy loves his vans. I used to wear skate shoes and other similar things til I moved out here. Just not very enjoyable when you're mostly on gravel and an incline, for me!

I should get something similar for when I go into town I suppose

I have the normal heel on the 2 pair I have and use the most. I have another pair of Thorogood square steel toes with the wedge sole that I like the soles a lot on the concrete.

They are softer and will wear quicker but worth it in my case with my hips and back. The square toe not really a fan of because of my f'd up feet and they are heavy. Next resole I'm going to see if they can put a wedge sole on them.

I want to try composite toe boots when I order a pair this year, safety toes are mandatory in our facility.

Yeah, when I was reading I think the wedge is specifically to save your joints on hard factory floors?

I wonder also if composite or carbon toe is heavier. Mine are carbon, definitely noticably heavier than my old shoes (from more than just the toe I'm sure) but not horribly so. Wasn't really an issue on a 4mi hike in them

I used to be very hard on footwear because I walked a lot, and many times, it was with a pack on (I still like to do that, but my joints are shot, so it's not easy). When I buy a pair of boots for walking, I want them to last for years, and then be able to get them re-soled. The reason for this is that good boots that fit well are hard to find, and manufacturers change designs frequently, so a model that fits now may not fit the next time you buy it. I wore Keens 20 years ago when they first came on the market. They cannot easily be re-soled. They also used bad plastics and horrible adhesives. Maybe that's improved, but I doubt it with all the water-based crap out there in these enviro-nazi days. I could easily break a pair in a few months. After the second pair failed, I stopped buying them, even for daily wear. That's a shame because they really fit my feet well.

I then switched to Danners. Danners were great, but over the last 15-20 years, they've turned to junk. At first, I discovered that their import boots were crap. Like the Keens, I cracked and delaminated a sole within months of purchase. So I switched to the US-made boots at a higher price. The last pair I bought, the mid sole deteriorated like a sun-checked tire (crap material again), after a couple years, so I had them re-soled. That sole did the same thing, but quicker. I no longer buy Danners.

The boots I've been wearing for the last nine years (bought them in late 2015) are Red Wings, from their Heritage line. I wore the soles out in early 2020 (so they lasted 4-1/2 years) and had them re-soled. These soles are still going strong. Sadly, they no longer sell new boots with that Vibram sole, but they will re-sole them for me with that sole (for now, anyway).

The Red Wing Heritage series has turned "urban lumberjack" in the last few years, so hopefully they are still solid boots. My almost 10-year old pair is the best pair of every-day boots I've ever owned. The downside is price, but any good, US-made boot is going to be expensive. The US-made Danners are about the same price, but they pale in comparison.

That's disappointing to hear about your keens and danners, they were basically the A list from what I was hearing from a lot of people. Hopefully mine last longer.

Curious what the red wings costed, I should've looked into them. With a 100$ pair of shoes lasting 1year (and not all that comfortably) theyd have to be VERY expensive to not be worth it if you've had them 10yrs.

If I'm again disappointed by the longevity of what I have now I'll likely end up going the same route

You're another guy wearing cowboy shoes and work shoes... I honestly had no idea that was so common. Guess it makes sense, but not something I even considered at all. I'm not cowboy enough anyways though

I wouldn't call myself a cowboy, but I am originally from Wyoming and have watched the Yellowstone series.

I've had a pair of Thorogood 6 " Moc Toes for about a year and 4 months that have been great. They were a bit expensive at $250, but they're the first work boot to actually last me a reasonable amount of time. They were stiff for a couple weeks and they are super comfortable now.

I've worn down the soles in some spots so they are getting a bit slippery, however I do walk outside in them a lot. I give them absolutely no care, I let mud dry out on them and whatever else happens to them, happens. When the soles get worse, I'll probably resole them. The uppers are fine despite being subjected to quite a bit of abuse. Wrinkles in bend spots as usual, but otherwise everything is completely intact and in great shape.

https://www.cavenders.com/thorogood...edge-moc-toe-lace-up-work-boot/TG8144203.html

Danners for me, too. I wear Danner fullbore's in khaki almost everyday. Amazingly comfortable and very supportive. (I’m 6’0”, 275lbs)

Btw, Danner fullbore’s are about $150-175 and seem to last about 2-3years of daily use. I tend to wear them about 12-14hrs per day. Office work, landscaping chores, walks around theme parks/car shows, etc. Zero break-in time. I’m only on my 2nd pair since Covid(2020).

Thinking i might buy a black pair just to color-coordinate with certain outfits.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: lBasket and Squatch
That's disappointing to hear about your keens and danners, they were basically the A list from what I was hearing from a lot of people.

I haven't experienced any of the negatives that were mentioned with the Danner boots. My boots saw a lot of walking on concrete floors in a manufacturing facility, as well as garage time. Add to that the fact that I am 280 lbs. and have walked on the outside edges of my feet since childhood, and I'm surprised that there's anything left to them. I used to buy Red Wings, until they stopped producing the model I wore. That's when I switched to Danner (over twenty years ago). So from my own personal experience, I wouldn't rule out Danner as a viable option.

Curious what the red wings costed

Boots purchased in 2015 for $273
Resole in 2020 $125

I think similar boots are about $50 more now. So, about $400 for 9 years and counting, which works out to about $45 per year. I think similar boots are about $50 more now. Also, I should note that the Red Wings did need considerable break-in before they were comfortable (but only when new - not after the re-sole).

• Wow
Reactions: srimes and lBasket